Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Semi-Wordless Wednesdays: "They grow up too fast"

Hen-Dog, the Superhero of our work group, called my name one day.

"Lee, come check this out."

I walked over to his cubicle. He pulled up a pic of his 15-year-old son Ja.



My heart jumped. "Oh Lawd, he in the army? OH LAWD NO!" I yelled.

"No girl, he's in ROTC," Hen-Dog said. "My baby done grew up."

"Whoo," I sighed in relief. I thought I was gonna have to run find a punch bowl and smash it to the ground and yell "Damn, damn, DAMN!" life Florida did on good times.

My oh my, little Ja sure has grown up.

I still don't see him as a young man, a young ROTC man.

I see him as the slick shorty who came over to my house a couple of years ago and stood in my kitchen/dining room shuffling a deck of UNO cards. I posted about that (See Ja... King of Uno!), some 2 years ago.

Ja had to have been the happiest kid in the world . Always smiling, always polite... skipping along like a doggone smurf. He'd call when he come down for the summers and I would bake him a big pan of herb chicken wings and thighs. (He LOVED my bake chicken, lol).

And I thought I could take this little kid on in a simple game of UNO...



But he kept beating us.

And he would get his dance on everytime he won a game.



We played for three hours straight... Ja got his dance on quite often.



Despite me trying to get my brothers attention (so we could cheat), Ja continued to get his dance on.



I finally kicked that boy out of my house at one o'clock in the morning. We watched as he strutted back down the street to Daddy Hen-Dog's house, knowing that he was the King of Uno.



He's a teenager now.
Bet he would scoff at ANY suggestion of a quick UNO game.

Man, they grow up TOO fast.

I'd give anything to see that fella get his UNO "dance on" once more!

15 comments:

  1. Who you telling? I keep thinking that yesterday my Son was three. Today his twenty-three.

    Seems like time went by that fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I remember when I was 18/19 years old and now, my children are those ages.

    You're right...they do grow up too fast but I ain't mad because it's bout time they start helpin' to pay some bills up in here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Terry...

    Really though. Wish they could stay young and innocent forever.

    @Ms. Behaving...

    MOMMIE DEAREST!!!!

    humph

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol you should ask him to play uno see what he says. might be fun :) (we play uno)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Patrice...

    Girl, that boy is probably trying to get down with some SPADES right about now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ him gettin his uno dance on time and time again!

    He looks like a good kid...a happy young Black man. Luv to see that!

    What in the world is that in Hen Dog's head????

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Opinionated Diva...

    Hen-Dog gets a notion to come to work at times with the most insane haircuts. That was his, uh, Easter haircut one year. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww... I hope I can pop some babies out before the rapture...

    he's a handsome lil fella awww...

    Go B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - yall gettin old. Me, I'm still young!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah they do grow up before our eyes...Everyday I look at my grandson and remember when his mother was his age and I was teaching her how to play checkers.
    Now she teaches me about Twitter and facebook and how to load music on my IPOd.. Funny how things turn around isn't it?-lolol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:21:00 AM

    I remember that post about Ja whipping butt in Uno. Dang, it's been 2 yrs?!

    They do grow up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You crack me up! Yeah they grow up fast. Man. I have a MARRIED nephew. How the hell did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah --I'm with you on that old girl...just yesterday --I was bringin' the number one son to Kindergarden...with tears in my eyes...his little hair cut with the little part on the side (yep I mad them do this at the barber everytime!) and his little khakhi uniform shorts...He now towers over me --grins at my ridiculous suggestions and will soon be leaving me... (SOB!)--but I'll get over it (wide grin :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Navy JROTC! I happened to go to the only school in the area that had a Navy program! Got me into Annapolis too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Ladylee this is a very fly site. I really love it. I was reading the story about Tasha,Monica and being separated. Excellent coming of age story.

    from
    Ed Austin aka Tayari Toure Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!