Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Ultimate Pocketbook

I have never fancied myself as being a pocketbook type of Oldgirl.

I prefer not to carry one. I have had a pouch that carries my ID, and it hangs around my neck. Functional, not fashionable. That's what I am.

Unfortunately, my pouch broke. Right now, I carry this.

It would be the bomb if it had a strap. But I just carry it in my laptop bag, and grab it out when I need it.

It is functional.

Tayari Jones didn't like it. When I pulled it out, she said "Oooh," and reached her hand out to touch it.

She quickly snatched her hand back when she realized it wasn't real animal skin, whether it be snake or gator, or possum, or whatever. It was as if she had touched a hot stove by mistake.

I hollered "Whatever, man!! I paid TWO DOLLARS for this here. TWO DOLLARS."

(I almsot hollered "Awwww, stop trippin' N****!" But we are both SWATS girls. We woulda beat each other down, right where we were! LOL")

She looked at me like she wanted to say something. But she let it go. Tayari carries nothing but high end animal pocketbooks. I'm afraid to touch her gear. It's so expensive, it might be still alive. Don't wanna get bit.

Yes I paid $2 for it. At Charming Charlies. You don't believe me?


So, with that said...

A couple of weeks ago, I ran over to the other building to talk to my coworker Crystal. You remember her. I laid out alllll her wedding pictures over here on the walls of the House of LadyLee. An extravaganza indeed! A delightful affair!

Anyway, she'd vacationed in the Dominican Republic earlier this month, and I wanted to know how her trip was. I told her about the beaches, and how they are so much different than what you have seen or will ever see again. So I wanted to know what she thought!

So I caught up with her at her desk. We talked about it. She said she had a great time.

Let me get my camera so I can show you the pictures," she said.


Andshe reached into her cabinet and grabs a purse that made me jump backwards.

"Dang Man!" I yelled, as I reached out to touch it. It was very cool to the touch.

That meant that sucka was REAL.

"That is MINK!" I hollered. "That purse is BAD!"



And I knew it was real. Didn't even have to ask. Crystal kicks the $350 shoes and the $350 Gucci sunglasses. She don't do the bootleg.

"Can I hold it?" I asked, my eyes wide in anticipation.

She let me hold it. I stood still as a mannequin in a store window. I looked off in the distance, like I was looking for my limo to pick me up.

I gave it back. "That is nice! And only you can kick that when it's 100 degrees outside!"

She said the designer was Paola Masi. I never heard of him. I might not even be spelling it right. I thought she said Polo. I asked how much it cost.

The price made me go O_O. Uh, it's not $2, like the beloved fake clutchy thing I carry.

I called her walking down the hall of my building later and I made sure to write the name down. You would've thought we were discussing chemistry. This was a good thing, especially if shady management would've walked by.

I looked it up. Again I was O_O.

I sent a picture to Serenity23, who is all girly, and like that type of thing. She wasn't impressed. She didn't like it. O_o. We had a long discussion, which is HIGHLY unusal for me. She sent me a link to her dream purse, some Louis Vutton Cranberry leather get-up. I saw the price. My eyes went O_O.

Why do you all like pocketbooks that cost the equivalents of one or two mortgage payments!? LAWD!

I'ma hook you up Serenity! With the $50 bootleg! You can't tell the difference, honey!

LOL!

But I am DIGGING that mink purse. That is different! That is like, the ultimate pocketbook!

Yeah, Crystal! I will let you rock that! I will rock my $2 bootleg!

No, I am not quite the pocketbook type of girl. But whenever I do feel like I am, I will saunter over to Crystal's desk, and pretend!

And that's alright with me!


8 comments:

  1. I like your wallet better lol. I don't get down with fur lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your clutch. And you can't beat the $2 price tag on it. No ma'am, you can't.

    As for the furry bag? PETA would have a field day! Lol.

    I don't think I need to carry fur. I like my purses, but no way I'm dropping mortgage payments on something that's gonna lug my driver's license, checkbook and eyeglasses around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer your clutch, Doc. Not only because I like the design better (fur is not my thing), but the price tag is alright with me! I like designer bags too, but I haven't seen one that I *love* enough to spend two mortgages on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just getting into purses. I will not pay a bunch of money for a purse. I do tend to use the same purse for weeks or months, hence wearing them out. I plan to get a couple of nice purses/totes that are leather and will last. One tote I love is about $150, I usually pay under $60 for a purse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be into designer bags ... but they don't "go" with everything and I can't be changing my bags out everyday. I have two that I haven't used in years. I should sell 'em. Anyone looking for a cute D&B?

    I'm not a fan of the fur. And I'm not a fan of the $2 clutch, I need a strap or a handle or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm mad you had to say on your blog that I didn't like it. ~waving at Crystal~ Anywho, I just dont' like mink or fur or anything like that. But that LV in Cranberry Patent Leather is ME all day. But of course I'd never buy that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I can't spend a lot of money on a purse...If you see me with a designer bag, it is a hand me down/gift/or isn't real.Yes, I said hand me down. I have a cousin that spring cleans & is generous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It is good to know that I'm not the only breathing female that doesn't quite get the designer handbag thing. I've even tried to force myself to buy one--it just doesnt't make sense to me. I have good bags that last a lifetime...all for under $50.00...and I have a tiny little faux letter clutch that I carry in every bag--likely bought it for $2 --but I'm a strong advocate of "doing you" -- so buy those 'spensive bags and give them to me when you're done with them! :D

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!