Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My Old Place

Here's a picture of my old duplex apartment.


I lived there some 18 years ago while in grad school, on the left side.

I loved that place. I lived there while in grad school. It was in the Atlanta neighborhood of Grant Park, and only 2 miles from downtown.

The rent was $390 per month. There was no air conditioning. The walls were made of concrete, and I had 2 radiators on the wall. Sometimes, when it got really cold, I would turn on the oven and it would heat up the small kitchen. And I only did that when I needed to sit at my kitchen table and study.

The elderly couple next door didn't have a car, so the driveway was allllll mine.

I really liked that place.

And it's only a mile from my current home.

I rarely drive by there, but I do from time to time. The farmers market is at Grant Park, and I have to pass there to get to the park.

That place holds great memories. It's good to be reminded of where I came from. I was in my mid-twenties then. I didn't know where I would be going in life. All I know is that I was working hard, struggling through grad school, and managing my little thousand dollar a month stipend.

I'm reminded that life's moments are temporary. That place was a temporary place to rest my head.

I'm reminded that life is always changing and always moving.

And that's a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. awww that's a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, seeing that picture made me look online for a duplex that I lived in about 16 or 17 years ago in Grant Park on Delmar Ave. I live much farther than 2 miles away now. LOL

    I miss Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!