Monday, June 24, 2013

Conversations on Judgments, Thoughts, Perfections... and Imperfections

(conversations week continues... See conversations week post for details)

Warning: If you are one of those perfect Christians that judge everybody, stop reading right now. This post is not for you. It is for the rest of us. You up and tripping out in the comments section only shows us who you truly are. That is all.

A friend sent me a tweet yesterday, and she wanted to know my thoughts on it:

"We call ourselves Christians and quote scriptures then pollute our hearts with music and entertainment that is contrary to His Word."

Well, I thought. That is true for the most part. I think it is anyway.

My friend followed it up with her first thought about it...

"My first thought was I shouldn't call myself a Christian. I thought Christian meant I believed Jesus died for me and I strive to grow more Christlike."

Well, I thought again. The second half of that statement is basically correct.

Then my friend texted... "But maybe I shouldn't say I'm a Christian until I am perfect."

Wow. One person's tweet caused another to question their beliefs. How sad.

I asked my friend why it was bothering her. She said the person seems to upset lately.  And that it really boils down to the point that people shouldn't say they're Christian or post scriptures if they aren't perfect.

In other words, I suppose my friend thinks this person is being judgmental. And in my opinion, she is. Probably not on purpose, though.

Man. Now I understand. That just made me feel a little down there. Someone who seemingly put up a good statement messed around and probably pushed a few people over into guilt and self-condemnation.

It is just like the perfect Christian, isn't it... stand in judgement of other people.  And that is what turns people off from Christianity. The whole judgemental thing.

And then when it the truth comes out, we are all O_O. We get all pissed when priests and pastors, these people we set up on pedestals as perfect Christians, bust out and it comes out that they're molesting everyone and have all kinds of problems and what not.

When they weren't perfect in the first place. Fact is, no one is.

So I raise an eyebrow when I see someone going hard on specific things, especially something like homosexuality.

"It's an abomination!"

True enough. But there are some 50 other abominations in the Bible. If you're gonna harp on one, harp on them all... Please and thank you.

Otherwise, I'm looking at you crazy...

...Because of a scripture I came across some 13 years ago I believe in my Message Bible.

Romans 2:1  ...But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Everytime you criticize someone, you condemn yourself.  It takes one to know one. Judgmental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own misdemeanors. But God isn't so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and holds you to what you've done."

Now... if that isn't a kick in the teeth, I don't know what is.  Message Bible keeps it real... all day, everyday.

So as you can imagine... when I see people pointing their perfect Christian finger at folk... I think...

Uh-oh.

Why are they judging (causing a diversion)?

What's going on in their secret lives? Hmm.

Because we all have them.

I was convicted of this perfect Christian judgment before by the Holy Spirit once. I was washing dishes one day, a couple of years ago, and I was thinking about someone, some silly stuff. And I remember hearing loud and clear in my spirit "Shut up! How dare you think those things about that perosn. You don't know the plans and purposes I have for their life! You don't know what I have planned for them in 20 years! You don't! Shut up!"

It arrested me. I think I dropped a dish. I remember tears forming in my eyes and saying "I am so sorry."

I know I thought about that for a good month. Goodness. It bothered me to my very core. That really changed me. I examine what I think of people. And I have made changes. I try to do whatever I can to help a person who comes to me with a personal issue. I don't judge. I listen. Or I at least work on it. My goodness, I don't want to be that one person who comes along and points my perfect Christian finger and holler "You're BAD!"... and I mess up whatever plan or path God is trying to set this person on.

The horror!

I still have my problems, though. Like, I don't deal with people who are emotionally abusive or emotional manipulators, because I grew up around that. But I have asked God to help me with my anger issues, somehow. Just help me grow. I am a work in progress on that front. I have done much better, but I still have far to go. God is helping my heart.

I am talking here about judgment of people in general... People who aren't hurting anyone, just trying to find their way in life, in their own way. I don't have a right to get an attitude with someone just because they posted a scripture. Who am I to say that God didn't wake them up with that scripture that morning, after their head hit the pillow that night before, and they were praying for help with getting rid of that secret problem with alcohol? Or after they were praying about some secret thing that is tormenting them?

You know how I think. You aren't who you are at church. You only spend 1 to 5% of your time there.

You are who you are when your head hits that pillow at night. You are who you are when no one is looking.

Anyway, I went back to the statement above that was tweeted.

"We call ourselves Christians and quote scriptures then pollute our hearts with music and entertainment that is contrary to His Word."

It is basically a true statement. But it needs some scriptural backing to dilute the judgment out of it.

If you have read my blog enough, you would know one of my favorite scriptures, in addition to Romans 2:1 above is Proverbs 4:23

KJV - Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

CJB - Above everything else, guard your heart; for it is the source of life's consequences.

Those versions are self-explanatory. But the next couple of versions of that verse really hit home.

GNT - Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.
NCV - Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.

Thoughts--- they come from somewhere. They didn't just magically appear in your head.

A clue to that is the numerous verses of scriptures that really harp on being careful what you're doing, what you're hearing, what you're seeing and what you are saying- watch that eargate, mouthgate, and eyegate with a vengeance.  Most notably, keep your mind on the Word.

Why? Because our mind is always on something. And the danger becomes when it is consumed with something.

If not for the Word of God being on your mind... something is on your mind.

Hence... our wonderfully seductive music and entertainment industry. Amongst other interesting things.

It has gotten more graphic and interesting over the years. All of it is much more... interesting than it was 40 years ago. Don't you agree?

Why on earth do advertisement agencies put out millions of dollars on advertising ads?

Because they know if they can infiltrate our thought life, they have accomplished something indeed.
Our thoughts run our life. That's what that scripture says above.

I always use the following example.  What do you think of when you see this word?

GREEN
I think of money. Trees. grass. Stuff like that.

Now what do you think of when you see that word... with another word added to it?

GO GREEN

You're automatically thinking of recycling. You looking for a way to save the environment. And you and I have been trained in that. Your thought life was trained in that. Took some time, but we know how to recycle, don't we?

Same thing with smoking in buildings. Same with condoms.

Your thoughts about these things were changed. Well, mine were.

Same thing with the entertainment and music industry. You didn't get the idea of dropping it like it's hot on your own.

Back in the early 90s, I didn't get the notion to drink and smoke weed on a whim. I know I was listening to much gangsta rap. And that was ALL they were doing. So if I am singing along (confessing) those words of those songs over and over... just what did I expect to happen??

Hmm... all that in the midst of being a Christian.. Not a perfect one. But still a Christian.

I discussed my ideas with my friend. Of course, that tweet is true. But it was said in the spirit of condemnation, which turns people off and away.

Really. Turned me off. Even thought I think much about it.

I like my fair share of music and entertainment. But I notice certain things I just don't care for anymore. I like old music. I couldn't tell you who is a popular artist or a popular song these days, as I don't listen to current music. I don't like explicit stuff at all, whether it be books, music or shows. I don't like reality shows, where folks judge and have major conflict, as I am striving to be the opposite.

As the years go by, I find that I actually prefer anything that educates me, or feeds my spirit.

And that is evidence that I am not a perfect Christian, but a work in progress.

And that is alright by me.

Yes it is.

My friend and I talked about that. Those are my initial thoughts. I am sure she pulled on her arsenal of wise friends and got different opinions. Put all our opinions together, and she's fully equipped to have a good fortified opinion of her own. Overall, I hope she will see herself as a Christian, acceptable to God, in the midst of her issues. He has a plan and a purpose for her life, and she is under construction until the day she dies.

I hope she is confident in that.... despite the judgment of others.

I don't judge the person who is posting such tweets. I judge what it is doing to people: making them question who they are and what God is trying to do in their lives, whether they are cooperating or not. I myself have had my fair share of rebellion to change. Yes I have.

I am not perfect. I have my share of problems. God has also seen me through quite a few of my problems and imperfections, and has seen me through them. And it makes me smile when I come across someone who has had the same issues, I don't judge, but I help... as I am FULLY equipped to do so.  By Him. Fully.

I am comforted by the followind verse, Hebrews 13:5-6

"... for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!] So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?"

God doesn't give up on me, even though others judge me and give up on me.

We are bought with a heavy price, and He doesn't give up on us. He can see the end from the beginning. He wants for us, from the beginning. He is willing to work on our imperfections.

For that, I am thankful.

So my friend, be confident in who you are. You are bought with a price. You are of value. God loves you.

Imperfections and all.

I leave you with my favorite morning songs... it helps me prepare for my day.




11 comments:

  1. ooo wee I have some notes from yesterday. I definitely have to get them to you.

    I have noticed many people not wanting to confess in their daily lives they are Christians because of the "perfect, holier than thou Saints." Everyone's walk is different and we understand and change when the time is right. My time to change is definitely different from the next person. Just because I sin one way does not mean it is any worse than the holy roller's sin. Sin is sin. Aghhh Now I am bothered. Deep breathe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There, there Bandit. There, there.

      Don't be bothered. Your eyes flash red when you are bothered. We can't have that. It is scary.

      Everyone's walk is different. I feel like we should be encouraging and helping each other, not hindering each other. When we help each other, there is less room for judgment.

      Those notes you sent me. I've already read them a few times today. Gonna sit down before bed and look up the scriptures that came with them. Thanks much, hon! Good looking out :)

      Delete
  2. It's almost 1:00 am and I need to take myself to bed. Therefore I will spare you from my usual long winded self....I will say that I am loving this Conversation s series you are doing..keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you staying up so late.

      Glad you like!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this and it reminded me of a sermon I listened to recently about the woman caught in the very act of adultery. Jesus did not condemn her but he also didn't condone what she did. He forgave her and spoke the truth in love: Go, and sin no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lost at the whole jumping to condemn people. Everybody got isshas!

      Sounds like a good sermon.

      Delete
  4. Love this again a work in progress...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter and I recently discussed how some people claim they do not judge. Many say they are not perfect and only God can judge. I admit I judge I admit I am working on it. What stands out for me because we are not perfect that memes us more prone to judge. If we were perfect we would not judge. That is not an excuse to judge just an eye opener to watch ourselves. I would rather be truthful and say I judge than act self- righteous saying I don't even I do.

    I am learning to keep my opinions to myself and examine why I have them . I have had go catch myself and say how dare I judge. It is a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That scripture you posted from Romans made me think of the saying "when you are pointing the finger at somebody, four more are pointing back at you".

    I don't let "perfect" Christians get to me anymore because I've come across enough "perfect" Christians to know they aren't that perfect. I remember this "perfect" Christian tried telling me how God didn't approve of me going out to bars/lounges. One day he caught me on a bad day. With my hand on my hip and my neck rolling I told him until he convinces me that he, himself is God, he can keep the f*uck out of my face. I haven't had a problem with him anymore. LOL

    None of us are perfect. We all fall short of the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live by the motto Im not perfect just striving to be the woman of God that he called me to be while facing life challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:47:00 AM

    I know I am not perfect...and I don't consider myself judging. You like it, I love it. I do have my opinions though and I don't think having an opinion is the same as judging.

    I am enjoying the series as well!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!