Monday, June 24, 2013

Good Monday Morning


(Conversations week continues through June 30th. See "Conversations Week" post for details).

Alright now. Conversations week is still going on... I threw a Lucy Junior blog post up on Friday night, so ya'll better go back and take a look at it (very funny).

I am stretching cpnversations week out to 2 weeks because I have a lot of conversations to put up, plus I may be sprinkling in regular posts to break up the gravity of it all... you know how I like to keep it SMURFY in the House of LadyLee!

Anyway, I had a pretty good weekend. I need a 3 day weekend right about now, though.  I didn't leave the house on Sunday, but I still have things to do around the house.

But on Saturday I had a great day.

I called my sister Kentucky, and asked her if she wanted to go berry picking again like we did last week. She said yes. I went and scooped her up, and we headed out to the u-pick farm.

This time, Kentucky was interested in picking blueberries. And we had to walk all the way back to the little white huts in the picture below to get the blueberry area.

I was hollering at Kentucky the whole way. "Dang Kentucky! Man, you got us walking all the way back here. Dang!"

LOL

She knows how her big sister is, i.e., she ignored my rants.

I don't particularly like blueberries. That is usually last on my "have-to-have" berries list.

But I followed her to the blueberry patch.

There were lots of blueberries!

Here's a good branch. Full of ripe blueberries.

There's another good branch full of berries.

The ripe ones came off easy. In about 30 minutes, we had about 3 pounds of blueberries.

Some of the bushes were tall. I almost expected Miss Sophia to part the bushes and holler "You told Harpo to beat me!!!"

LOL

We were taking our time.

"Kentucky, we sure are slow," I said. If it was back in slave days, we'd be in a lot of trouble for being so slow."

I ended up picking raspberries too.

The only reason I picked those is because they were giving people the little green paper cartons to put those in (the buckets were too delicate for that). I just wanted the cartons so that I could separate out some fruit for my Grandma. They said I had to pick raspberries to do that.

I am not a raspberry fan. But I told dude I would pick them just to get the carton. He gave me three cartons and I picked half a carton full. A full $1.07 worth.

GLORY!

That was such a good time with my sister. That poor girl is going to stop answering the phone on Saturday mornings...

*kentucky's phone rings*

"Humph," she says to herself. "That's that Lisa, wanting to go berry picking. I don't think I'll answer the phone."

LOL

I just like hanging with my sister. She is so funny to me. And such a good friend these days.

Grandma. So, I ended up going over Grandma's house after picking berries with Kentucky. Not before making some pit stops. I called my Aunt and asked if there was anything they needed. She said no, but they liked the spring water (I'd taken some fruit, vegetables, and a gallon of Whole Foods spring water over there). So I decided to go get them a few more gallons.

Traffic is HELLACIOUS on the weekends in the ATL due to all the construction. And I live right behind Turner Field, where the Braves play baseball, and that just adds to the headache. I drove through there and I wanted to holler out the window "When in the world do ya'll have some road games!? Get outta here!"

Goodness.

So it took me a good hour to hit Whole Foods and then jump to Grandma's house. That can't be no more than 10 miles total driving. Wow.

But they have some good water.

And Grandma has a couple of pounds of berries for her yogurt.

"Look what I got for you," I said to her as I handed her the cartons of berries. "Me and Kentucky went berry picking this morning."

She was elated. And she sat her fruit on her ottoman. And she started talking.

I sat down and crocheted. And secretly hoped for no more uncomfortable conversations like last time. And that didn't happen for the most part. She was extremely talkative, but my Aunt kept "reining her back in" as she liked to say...

She would get so excited when she was trying to make a point or remember something. I leaned forward, eager for her to get out whatever had her so riled up.

Somehow Grandma got on the topic of some of my ex-boyfriends. And my ex-husband.

I was screaming inside.

And crocheting hard. Extra extra hard.

I had NO idea where her thoughts were going. Oh My!!

Luckily, something else caught her attention and she started talking about that.

And I was sitting there thinking to myself "Thank goodness I didn't bring all my men around here. Some of them were trifling." And she seems to be remembering craziness.

I didn't feel like being psychoanalyzed about my men issues. No indeed.

But it was a good time. But I was so sleepy. It got to a point where I had to lay down on the 50 year-old couch for a minute (this did nothing for my problem back). I ended up sleeping a good hour. By the time I woke up, Grandma was back in her bedroom taking a nap of her own. I stayed a little while longer, then I headed on home.

That was the gist of my weekend.

Quote of the Week. I have a book review coming up this week. The subject matter is going to make you all holler "Pump the brakes, LadyLee! Shut the front door!"

LOL!!

Touchy, touchy, touchy subject matter. Something you NEVER see discussed.

Not my fault. Kentucky told me about the book. I told her of another book I was reading, and she went and looked up everything by that author, and came across this VERY odd book. She had read the introduction or something. I got nosey and went and looked at what she was talking about. I thought the whole book was worth reading, since I have a manuscript with the subject matter as one of the themes, and I read the whole book.

I thought the book was EXCELLENT, and I told Kentucky to think about reading it.

Kentucky decided to read it, since I was raving about it.

She said "I got into that book, and I was thinking... I don't know about this book, Lisa."

"You the one who brought it to my attention, gal!" I hollered.

"But once I got into it," she continued "I realized how good it was. It made me think and look at my own life."

Then she rambled off some long thought about life. I listened to her, and a few minutes later, I asked her to repeat what she said, so I could write it down.

"I don't remember what I said, girl," she said.

Sigh.

Well I caught the best part of it.

"It is up to you to make sure you're emotionally grounded."

That's a short statement, but it is very loaded. And very true. I will let you ponder that to yourself in your personal time. I'm still pondering it. I could tell that Kentucky's eyes were wide when she said that. It is one of the most definitive statements I've heard her make this week. Goodness.

I guess reading that book really brought that thought home for her. Good deal.

More on that in a book review coming up this week.

Post of the Week. Grady Doctor's boys are on summer vacation with their grandpa... and they are writing letters home to her. And they are HILARIOUS!!!

Links: Camp Papa Postcard Classics #1, and Camp Papa Postcard Classics: Strategies

Funny!!! Grady Doctor has some explaining to do when those boys get home from vacation!

LOL

Video of the Week. Having trouble picking something. I suppose I will pick whatever has been in heavy rotation in the car.

Angela Bofill "I try"



That's one of my favorite songs for the car. I can sing along!

I sound better than her. (To myself, anyway! lol)

Look here! You better get to commenting. $100 in lovely cash and prizes on the line, babes.

My goal is 8 posts for the remainder of the week... What's that for me, about 50 pages of words? OH MY! Gotta get it ALL in! We'll see how that goes.

If you happen to win both gift cards, I'll double the total prize!

$200!!

GASP!!!

OH MY!!!

*hiding eyes as name is pulled*

Man... if my official name puller pulls the name of someone who wins both cards, I will pass out in the cubicle area! Lt. By will have to hold me in his arms and wave my Obama church fan!

They might have to call the ambulance! Glory!

*ladylee wakes up from fainting*"

They done took all my light bill money!!" 

*ladylee passes out again*

Ha Ha!!!!

I'm just so thankful for all these conversations I've been having... I just want to put some real seed behind it. That's all.

I hope to reap many many more! They sure have been a blessing!

Get to commenting!

On purpose!!

23 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:18:00 AM

    Very curious about the book!

    And now I also want fresh berries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're gonna be...... O_o about that book. LOL

      Nothing like fresh fruit off the vine instead of trucked in from California!

      Delete
  2. What is the name of the book? How you gonna tell us about a book but don't give us a name? Tisk Tisk Tisk. Got us jonesin about a book....LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green Eyed Child... why don't you wait. Why would I tell you the name of the book? You might not come back and see it. LOL

      Post is written, but it is a tad bit too long. I have 45 good quotes from the book. Gotta cut it down to no more than 5. So stay tuned :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a great weekend! Im going to try to find the kids a berry picking place here. I know we have a peach place.

    You mean THAT book? Gonna be a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need AJ here for picking these strawberries. He's a little ol' something and can stoop low as I point out which berries I want.

      Yes... THAT book. The one that made you go "What?"

      LOL

      Delete
  4. "It is up to you to make sure you're emotionally grounded -----> truth ..

    Waiting for the name of the book.

    Berry picking looks funny .. think I will add that the summer bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Top Chicken Security...

      That is a high powered statement.

      Not telling you the name of the book.

      The berry picking was fun. Kentucky wants to find some place where she can chase her own chicken down. Hmm. I will stick to berries.

      Delete
  5. "It is up to you to make sure you're emotionally grounded" -- bottom line -- it's a personal choice. I like that. I was actually laughing when the read the part about Sophia--hilarious. I enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personal Choice... personal responsibility. But it is painful. But worth it.

      LOL... some of those blueberry bushes were taller than us!

      I am glad you are enjoying my posts! *cartwheels*

      Delete
  6. I was thinking about slavery times when you said you had to go hard down to pick berries. I was thinking folks think it is neat to pick them. Our ancestors had to to pick and I betcha they would look at some like this O_O that they pick for fun. Just a thought.

    I want to know the book title now esp. after Kentucky's comment.

    I Try by Angie B. That woman can sang. As a kid I thought she was a pretty woman who was black then found out she was Hispanic. You really don't get that song until you are older. When I saw her story on Unsung I could really appreciate her writing skills. She wrote I try at age 17. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if our ancestors saw us, they would have some problems with us out there.

      Whenever I complained about school, my granddaddy use to say "Your grandma didn't get down on her hands and knees and clean white people's floors so that you can sit around complaining."

      Gasp. I bet the slaves would say something similar if they saw us out there picking berries just for fun. But it is a GREAT activity for children. I just really like fresh fruit.

      Book review coming up this week. You will be eyeing me with high suspicion though. As long as we remain good friends, that is okay.

      Delete
    2. And I think about all the people who today are still picking berries for a living so that folks like me can rush into just about any neighborhood supermarket for a pack, at hardly any cost at all. But it's brutal work. I don't want to forget that.

      Delete
  7. I am still working on your notes. Yesterday's were pretty good too. He talked about the Danger Zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the notes! Good stuff, bandit!!

      That's like giving me some money, honey! Thanks much!

      Delete
  8. You know, I enjoy a good berry just as much as the next person but I don't know about all this berry picking in this heat! Seriously, I'd have to send you straight to voice mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl! Kentucky started all this.

      She wants to find a place where she can chase her own chicken down. I can't imagine my diva sister outside chasing down a chicken. I asked her if she was going to wrang its neck when she caught it. She looked at me like I was crazy.

      But she wants to go to some bigger farms. I will be happy to take her!

      LOL

      And it's the heat that makes it a trip. I can't stay out there longer than 1/2 hour!

      Delete
  9. you hitting us hard I see! I'm still waiting on that conversation about the code and Lucy Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:00:00 PM

    LMAO I love Chele's comment about sending you to voicemail. I took tyler to a strawberry patch last year to pick berries. I'm sure we will be doing it again when Kayden is older. I think happiness is definitely our own responsibility. There are always going to be things that can cause us to react and get emotional but maturing and being able to control those emotions will change lives.

    Serenity23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is GREAT for kids. Just for them to know where their food comes from.

      When it comes down to it, our emotional health is our responsibility. For me it means removing toxic people from my presence and making sure I surrond myself with folks that feed my heart and impart knowledge and wisdom. And it is me making sure I do the same. I am doing well as long as that is all in place.

      Now for the next person, it may be something different. But it is a personal responsibility.

      I've been talking to Kentucky about it, but something she read in that book made the lightbulb go off in her head. And it was surprising, especially after reading this book. But it is the type of book that has that theme as a message, despite the subject matter.

      Delete
    2. All of this Lee! All of THIS! I am trying to rebuild my life after a drastic change. I know...like you have told me many times eat an elephant piece by piece and life has it's ebbs and flows. I'm trying.

      Delete
  11. I plan to type up the next set of notes and send them no later than tomorrow. It is called Transition - The Danger Zone

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm behind on blog reading so I expected to see the title of the book! Text it to me! I won't tell! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!