Thursday, June 27, 2013

Crochet Conversations

Conversations week continues...

I have been a crocheting bandit lately.

I finally finished Mrs. A's second baby blanket.


Green and white. That can be for a boy or a girl indeed.

It is TOO big. It's definitely too small for an adult, but a 5-year-old child would find it rather cozy.

And it's a little heavy. It's sport weight (baby weight) yarn, but feels heavy like worsted weight (adult yarn). My workplace resident experts (Cee-Cee and Cowgirl Cre) think I should wash it in Dreft and dry it with the dryer sheets, so it will fluff up and lighten up, which is usually the case.

But it is cozy enough for an adult, too.

And I can see Mrs. A. right now...  she may take this blanket from the twins and try to use it for herself.

*toddler twins walk in room and see Mommy with their blanket AGAIN*

"That's our blanket," they say in unison.

"Uh..." Mrs. A begins. "Uh, I was just about to wash it."

Twins look at each other, then back at Mommy "That's what you said the last time."

*Mr. A. walks into room*

"Give them babies back their blanket!!!"

*Mrs. A. slowly unwraps the blanket from her shoulders, and places it in the little waiting hands of the toddlers*

HA HA!!

My goal is to make 4 blankets. She has hinted that she likes yellow. So I am excited about going way down out to the Southside 'burbs for some yellow yarn!

I've started on the third one, while hanging out at Grandma's house.

And I like how simply they start.

One long chain...


Here's how far along it is!

I really REALLY want to make a boy blanket. Heck, I'll be happy to make a girl blanket right about now.

Mrs. A. doesn't want to know the sex of the babies.

I was thinking about running up on her obstertrician in the produce department at the Wal-mart.

*ladylee pushes buggie up next to the good doctor's buggie*

"Hi there," LadyLee says. "Those tomatoes look quite good, don't they?"

Dr. Jackson looks at LadyLee suspiciuosly. "Yes they do."

"And the lettuce," LadyLee says, "The lettuce looks nice and crispy, too."

Dr. Jackson nodds.

"Uh, one of your patients is my cousin, Mrs. A., right?"

Dr. Jackson nods.

"She is having twins. And there's a sale over in the baby departments. Should I get the pink onesies or the blue onesies?"

Dr. Jackson frowns.  "Your silly games are NOT gonna make me tell you what she's having!!!"

HUMPH!!

LOL

 Anyway, I found out that someone is having a little boy. So I've started on that one.

Adding in the green and the white...

And now I'm on blue for the long haul!
I think I need around 50 rows of blue before I go back to my green and white.

Oh joy. I love to crochet.

Often, when I am walking through the store with my yarn in my cart, people stop me and ask what I am going to make with it. I tell them. Usually it's a baby blanket, or a gift for a friend.

I usually hear one of two replies:

"I use to know how to crochet. Now I don't remember."

or

"I wish I knew how to crochet."

And that makes me sad. Anything done with the hands from scratch these days is quickly fading into extinction. Crochet. Quilting. Sewing. Canning. Painting. Drawing. And anything else you can think of.

We like life in an instant now. And if it can be electronic, then all the better.

I must admit, I have and love my share of gadgetry...But...

My crocheting is very therapeutic. It calms my mind, calms my nerves.

And so do other handcrafts.

Are we losing our therapy?  Of course, back in the day, our ancestors had to do these things. And maybe they longed for the conveniences of our life.

But what about the therapy of it all? Are we losing it as the years go by?

I wonder... and continue to ponder.



13 comments:

  1. Pretty blankets. I am glad I learned to crochet. It can be fun and relaxing. And people who have received my handmade gifts are amazed I did it with my own hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love handmade gifts. Takes time, but well worth it.

      I am faster on these blankets shown here. That green and white one tookabout 22 hours. The other two should be a couple hours faster, as they aren't as big. So I can get one done in a couple of weeks!

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I don't know how to crochet and never wanted to, but love to see what people make when they crochet. I garden and that is my therapy, because it calms me and there is something about being able to grow your own food. I seem to be doing more and more things considered old fashion, but for me it is calming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey... gardening = handcrafts.

      I loved my garden for the couple of years I had one. Unfortunately, i don't have much light in my backyard. And I don't like the high water bills.

      But whatever takes time with your hands and gives peace... that's what I loved. My gardening time was my contemplation and prayer time. I miss that much.

      Delete
  3. Man your blankets are gorgeous! It would be so nice to have a purple and pink one in case I'm still in the Midwest this winter. You know the winters are so cold here.. Hmm.. *coughs, coughs* My mom does cross stitch. She has made so many beautiful things for people. She used to always want to try and teach mean and I was never having it. Maybe I'll ask her to show me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatchu saying... you want a purple and pink baby blanket? O_o

      I can't do cross stitch. Too much concentration. And I stuck myself with the needle too much. But I liked it when I was doing it!

      Delete
    2. I want a purple and pink adult blanket! Tuh, ain't no more chile'ren coming outta these parts! LOL x_x

      Delete
  4. I'm so blessed to have been you through blogging. I love the blanket...and your little scenario about me taking the blanket may ring truer than you think. Alyssa's granny made her one a long time ago and I pretty much took it over, lol.

    It means so much that you are taking out your time to MAKE something for the babies. The fact that more people buy than make really does make it all the more sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blankets .. hmm wonder if I could get a green an blue one .. hmmm lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that BB is leaving the nest, I need a new hobby. I am really considering learning how to sew, especially since I am so short!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have started and stopped crocheting many times. I have done so many "practice" pieces. I think the counting is what gets me. I guess I'm gonna have to fly you out here to teach me after the summer from hay-dees of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing up, my granny use to crochet all the time. She made every grandchild a blanket. And she has a lot of grandkids (my grandparents have 9 kids!) She actually taught me to crochet when I was around 10 years old. I want to pick it back up. I still have the blanket she made me,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:20:00 AM

    My goal is to learn how to crotchet this year. I wish I had learned years ago because making the time is hard!

    The blankets are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!