Thursday, September 05, 2013

Seen at Grandma's House, Part II

Grandma has a ton of books. I know she had over 3000 at one time. So now, there may be so many more. She loves to read. 

Most of those books are religious books.  But some are just regular books on various subjects. 

Here's a little booklet I saw at her house on the living room coffee table:


Boilin' and Bakin' in Boogar Hollow.

That sounds like some straight hillbilly Coal Miner's Daughter material.

It had some interesting recipes. Like this here recipe for chitlins...
Singlema loves chitlins. I think she will appreciate that.

And Flossie has a pretty good recipe for fried chicken.
Yes indeed. "Whack up a nice young chick'n".  That means cut it up. There's some "bakin' powders" and "sodie" in that recipe. That means it's going to be good and crispy.

And this here is for one of my favorite readers Mzinspiredmind, aka, Sam...


Way too much butter in that recipe. I don't think it takes that much butter, Sam.

And here's an average day in the life of Granmaw up in Boogar Hollow.



That's a long to-do list.

I found the foreword to the book most interesting:


There are some interesting life there.

1. Work hard.
2. Be enthusiastic about life
3. Realize that you have worth.
4. You are indispensible and necessary.
5. Don't waste time gossiping.
6. Mind your own business.
7. Don't feel sorry for yourself.
8. Be thankful for all things (health, family, and survival).

And I am sure there are other good things in that passage.  It was good to read it.

And Singlema... let me know how those chitlins turn out.

And Sam? Please save me a slice of that sweet potato pie.

4 comments:

  1. Old fashioned values never go out of style. I love old southern/country/amish cookbooks--they have a lot of wisdom tucked between the recipes. These people ate hearty because they (physically) worked hard all day. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really how I feel about cooking dinner each day. To me that is the best thing that I give to my boys each night besides the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Single Ma10:00:00 PM

    See, told ya grandma fix chitlins round there. We gone eat good this Sunday! You missing out, Doc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. blessings....
    sounds good, hilarious title.

    stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!