Thursday, February 13, 2014

Distillation

Dear God,
Distill my thoughts
Separate the good from the bad.
Separate the bad from the worse
Separate the blessings from the curse

Distill my life
Separate the harlot from the wife
Separate the lies from the truth
Separate the secrets from the root
Separate the hate from the love I once had.

Just as one drop of oil taints a cupful of water
So does one lie taint all that is good
So does one dark memory keep me from loving myself the way that I should.

Dear God
Help me to see me the way You see me
Pure
Good
Distilled
And real.



From Women of Color Writing Workshop, Janurary 2014.
Writing Prompt: 5 minute prompt. Use one of the following words in a poem or story: Distill, putrify, sterile, putrid.

I like this little poem. In so few words, I see such a complicated woman. She is a woman plagued by the secrets of her life. Some of these issues may be memories and she is far removed from them, but memories are strong and haunting. And God has forgiven her... but she can't seem to forgive herself.

You may see something different.

At any rate, it is way more complicated than these few words posted here. 

3 comments:

  1. This simple piece blew me away. As poet I can appreciate it and as someone who has lost her way(just had a dream last night about it), I can relate.


    ReplyDelete
  2. God has forgiven her... but she can't seem to forgive herself. <--- Oh how I can relate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:07:00 PM

    I tried eleventy times to post my comment yesterday and it wouldn't take, so hopefully it will today. I love your poem. It speaks a lot of things to the spirit

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!