Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday Morning.... Again.

It is Monday morning... Once again.

It seems as if this day comes around and around and around once each week.

As every other day of the week does.

Anyway, I heard them talking on the news about some slight sleet or something. I winced. I don't want to think about that. AT ALL.

I want to think about the weekend. It was beautiful in my beloved ATL, some 70 degrees outside. I didn't even need a jacket. Well, I did need one because that wind sure was whipping around.

I didn't do much this weekend. I was a bit sickly this past week, AND aunt flo was hanging around so I was just doing all I could to keep up.  But I am a bit better now.

I have a Doctor's appointment this morning. For some reason, I am not looking forward to that. It is the first of the year with my lupus doctor. Let's hope I don't get in any trouble. That won't be nice at all.  And I am not in the mood on a Monday morning. No indeed.

I actually went to work on Sunday for all of two hours (well, 1 hour and 50 minutes). Sushi and Lady S were there and they had been there since 5 in the morning. Who in the world gets up that early on a Sunday? I walked into there lab at 2 pm, they had that look in their eyes. It was that look that said "Whoever coming up in here on us gonna catch some 4 liter bottles upside the head".  LOL

That was a FAST 2 hours. So I didn't mind going in. I had other things to do downtown. I really needed to go to Whole Foods to get my 39 cent per gallon water refills, but that place was packed like a One Direction concert, so I bypassed and went on out to the Eastside to the Farmers Market. It was packed, but not as much.

I've been reading a book since Friday by one of my favorite authors, Anybody's Daughter by Pamela Samuels-Young. 

This book... whoo child. It sho is good.

Pamela writes the BOMB law thrillers. And it's with some black protagonists, usually a sista.  You know I like that type of thing, black folk running around looking crazy, whether it's running from aliens (sci-fi) or vampires (horror) or the law (thrillers). GOOD stuff. I've read all of her books, and this one is a sequel. I actually had a good convo with her a few years back about the prequel to this book. And this sequel is one of the best. I am only 25% of the way through it, and man oh man, I am O_O.

When I finish reading her books, I want to drop the book, stand at attention and clap furiously and holler "EXCELLENT!"

This is a book about sex trafficking of young girls. And as the saying goes... "Pimping ain't easy." But it easier these days on the internet. This book is about the search for a young girl. Her uncle, who has a shady past himself, is looking for her... with the help of his lawyer love interest. GOOOOOOOD stuff, honey. Wooo-hooo! This one is singeing my eyebrows.

I want to finish reading, but I am waiting around on Cinnamon Sugar, aka Sam, to kick in. She reads like a alien chicken, i.e., she can read this book, which is 360 pages, in a day. I suggested that we read it together since her thing is the juvenile justice law system, which is one of the major settings of this book. So I am waiting around on her to catch up... and I am sneaking around reading more than our agreed stopping point for discussion.

Come on, girl... *lee slaps Sam in the back of the head* COME ON.

I am the one that reads slow like Celie, not you! Come on!! *one last slap on the back of the head*

LOL

Oh well... enough of that.

I will keep reading. She will probably text me and say "I've finished reading the book."

Just like that chicken Serenity does. That's why I don't read books with that chicken anymore.

Oh well. That's it for the day. I am on my way to the doctor this morning, and then I will be going on in to work.

Do I need a Song of the Day?  Yes. Let's see... One of the top songs on my spotify playlist:



You know I love some Jill Scott!!

With that said, have a good week!  On purpose.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:37:00 PM

    FYI - Anybody's Daughter won a NAACP award. Back to lurkville...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! The book was good, though. Not suprising.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:39:00 AM

    *adds to my TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... you should check her out. VERY good writer. I loved all her books.

      Delete
  3. Dorothy9:53:00 AM

    So when I saw this, I went and looked up the book. Bought it and the first one in the series. The first one, "Buying Time," was terrific. But this one ... "Anybody's Daughter," is simply amazing. It is sticking with me like nobody's business. Thanks for putting this out there; she's an excellent writer, and I'm getting her other books next! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela Samuels-Young is AWESOME. And I have had a couple of good conversations with her. She is an inspiration,and has been one of my favorite authors for years. And I like that she is a professional (lawyer) who writes on the side. That is what I want to be.

      Buying Time is the first book in the series, and that book was GREAT. I didn't think she could top that, but Anybody's Daughter did. And I love how she broke the rules and wrote chapters from at least 6 to 8 different point of views. I love that.

      I am glad you liked her work. I love all her books. There's nothing like a good page turner. I jump and buy them as soon as they come out.

      Delete
    2. I just finished picking up everything she had on Amazon this morning! :) Thank you for mentioning this -- I might not have ever picked up her work, and I would have been MISSING OUT!

      Some writers don't handle the change of viewpoints very well, but Pamela Samuels Young does.

      Her lawyer background gives a real depth that a lot of "legal thrillers" just don't have, too.

      And I WISH I had a girlfriend like Special -- love that woman! ;)

      Delete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!