Friday, June 05, 2015

Friday Freestyles... The Challenged Edition

Friday!

Glory!!!

And it's PAYDAY!!

GLORY!

As usual, I sit here and think about just running out and balling til I frickin' fall!

Then I come to my senses. And go and pay a few bills.

Nothing wrong with my 5 minutes of imagination, right? Nope.

LOL.

I am MORE than ready for the weekend.

And this is how I imagine my weekend going:


Yes. Laid out. I would LOVE to be laid out like the dear Sista Callie Jo. Oh my. Not laid out on the floor like that, all butt-nekked and all, but in the bed, sleeping good.  Just like her.  Not laid out like that though.  That would be challenging. And a bit uncomfortable.

Alas, that will not be the case.I will be super busy, just like Sista Callie Jo is here, getting all up in my fresh pineapple. As a matter of fact, I need to make a to-do list for the weekend so I can get the most out of it . And I have to schedule a little time off for the weekend also.

That is the goal.

I will work on that tonight. Right now I have to go finish up some lab work.


Anyway, this has been a good week. I will give it a solid B. It has been a slow week.  But something... interesting happened yesterday. We have a new branch director. That means' he is my boss' boss. Well I needed him to sign an order form, so I'd been looking for him (he started this week).


He came to sign the form, but someone else had signed it already. But we sat down and talked for half an hour. He had a ton of questions. What are you doing in your research right now?  What do you think are the strengths of the group? What do you think are the challenges of the group?

Challenges... that's another name for weaknesses.

Here's another one... Where do you see yourself in 5 years.

Uh.... O_O..........

I came up with something. I don't remember. What is interesting, I was thinking about this some 24 hours to being asked it. Hmm...

Anyway, it was a GREAT talk. He has some ideas that are on that... Mothership Connection Funkadelic level. O_O.  I was able to keep up with him, because I read a lot. And I know a little about his research because I saw him give a talk some 10 years ago.  And he was a professor at one of the local HBCUs.  

But here's the kicker... He's African.

Wooo-wee... what a joy to talk to someone who looks like me who is in charge. He has some large ideas. I don't even think I blinked while talking to him. I hung onto his every word. And he was drawing some things on his paper. No blinking from me, man.

I wanted to holler... "Yo Bro... you preachin' to choir. I'm down with your vision. Woo-hoo!!"

That was the highlight of my week. And he has a sense of  humor.

Even my boss, a nice Caucasian guy said the other day, "Have you talked to Doc? I like him! He's a good guy. I've heard nothing bad about him. And that's rare."

Yes it is rare. Because management around these parts is... challenged.

(That's my new word for the year:  challenged).

My boss told me that while trying to practice spelling his name. He asked me how to spell it. I'm like, uh... dude, I have to go figure it out myself.

And I did too!  Yes indeed. 

But I'm glad he is here. Heck, everyone is.

GLORY!!

Song of the Week. I am STILL stuck on Alabama Shakes. And I like the following song very much, despite the critics disliking it.  I could only find a live version, though.



The first time I heard that, I thought... This sounds like some chopped and screwed Prince.

I cannot STAND chopped and screwed music. You have to be drunk or high to listen to hours and hours of that. NO!

But this grew on me. It is experimental. A soulish/rock plus a little touch of sci-fi. That's experimental.

And I like strange stuff like that.

It's not only strange... it's challenging. 

1 comment:

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!