Monday, July 23, 2007

Tag time and The Queens Mixtapes

This post is dedicated to my Book club sista (she know who she is)... she always be talking a bunch of crap. Why, just the other night, we had this convo at Viv's birthday bash...

"LadyLee, you coming out to such-n-such book event?"
"No."
"Come on Lee, you gotta come."
"Hell no!"
"I bet if Tayari was there you would come."
*Lee jumps up from chair and gets in book club sista's face*
"Yeah, I would be there. And I would know she's going to be there beforehand. You know why? Because she would have told me. What's it to YOU?"
*Lee kicking the Celie two-fanger point, daring her to say another word.*

We constantly have this convo. You got one more time to mess with me. One more time. One day, you gonna get your butt kicked. Keep talking trash, girlfriend, and see what happen.

Yeah. You know,haterade is not good for you, whether it's served hot or cold. Therefore, stop hating!!

I. am. such. a. jocker. I jock so hard. And not afraid to admit it!!

LOL.

You know, it is always good to get email from the Queen of Lurk City, Inc., a.k.a. Racer X, a.k.a. Miss Celie, a.k.a. Tayari Jones.

I got two... the first being, after inquiring about not understanding that she wanted mail...

"Lee, send me some mail."

She's at the Mac.Do.well Artists colony up in New Hampshire, doing some writing deep in the woods... I am realizing that this is something that these literary writers do from time to time- go off in seclusion somewhere and write until their hearts content. It kind of scared me when I saw some of the pictures of her studio up there. This place looks like something out of Friday the 13th. The first thing I thought was...

Be careful! Make sure you got your glock!

Second, she left something in one of my comment sections: "You've been tagged."

**Crickets**

I froze in my Nikes. I didn't know what to think, and was scared to hit up her blog to see what was up, because I knew it would be some CRAZINESS like

"Write a short story on this subject..."

That may have been simple enough, as I do have 3 or 4 short stories going right now. I sent her an email saying that I was busy (not an excuse... I am busy). But I went and looked at the details of the tag, and it ain't that hard.

But you know how longwinded I am. It's gonna take me a minute.

So this will play out over a couple of posts, I believe. Gotta break it up, ya know.

So here are the rules of the "8 things tag":
1. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
2. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
5. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

Now, this wouldn't be so hard if I hadn't done a "10 things about me" tag last month. So now, I have to come up with eight additional things. That is hard, because an Oldgirl just ain't that interesting.

Also, I don't know if I can tag eight people. I know who I WILL tag though: THE DJ DIVA. Why?Because she cries and moans and kicks rocks if she doesn't get tagged. For some reason, she likes getting tagged. Go figure.

I don't want to piss nobody off, so I may or may not tag 8 people. And as always, if I tag you, it is all optional.

So, I will work on that a bit everyday. You know I am longwinded and "special", so it may take 2 or 3 posts...

So back to the snail mail that I sent to the Queen...

I didn't know what to send her. I wrote a letter that started out with:

Dear Celie...
Here in Africa, we wake up every morning to a breakfast of fruit and porridge...


LOL! I've always wanted to do that. (You remember that from the movie The Color Purple, right?) I know when she read that she was like...

"W-wh-what?"

I also sent her some CD mixes. I believe I sent her 6, including some 80's pop and some slow mixes. I wanted to send her more, but I could see her thinking...

Ladylee. is. a. freaking. STALKER!.



And we can't have that, can we?? (Even though she probably think it already, LOL. Not a stalker, man. A hardcore jocker maybe, but definitely not a stalker!)

This is an odd gift to send. She is an IPOD fiend, and a CD is probably totally archaic to her. I told her to rip the songs she like, and give the CDs to her buddies.

So here are 3 of the CDs I made. I drew all over them, and sent them in colorful CD sleeves decorated with pictures of her nicknames: Racer X, Miss Celie, and the Queen...

Racer X beats (thought about making this a rap CD, but uh... I believe the Queen isn't a big fan of rap! Kept it safe with some old uptempo favorites.)


This Place Hotel- The Jacksons
The Kissing Game- Hi Five
Little Walter- Toni Tony Tone
Off on Your own- Al B. Sure!
Show it- Brownstone
Every Little thing you do - Soul for real
Comfort Zone - Vanessa Williams
Love Makes no Sense - Alexander O'Neal
If it Isn't Love - New Edition
Lover Girl - Teena Marie
Fake -Alexander O' Neal
Come into my Life -Joyce Simms
Encore - Cheryl Lynn
Sensitivity- Ralph Tresvant


Celie Music (something to inspire her during her Celie writers break blues... and some ish that make you wanna drink a little liquor!)


Keep your head up- Chaka Khan
You can make it through - Kris Styles
Keep on Moving - Soul II Soul
I am not my Hair -India.Arie
Girl - Destiny's Child
Take me as I am- Mary J Blige
Fruit of Life -Brownstone
Gypsy Woman - Crystal Waters
Fairy Tales - Anita Baker
Theme from Mahoghany - Diana Ross
Maybe- Three Degrees
Bang Bang - Nancy Sinatra


The Queen's Colony Mix (a hodge podge/mix bag of music for the Queen of Lurk City)


Let's stay Together- Tina Turner
Ascension (remix) - Maxwell
Just a Touch of Love
Sweetest Taboo- Sade
Everlasting Love -Chaka Khan
Baby I'm scared of you - Womack and Womack
Been So Long - Anita Baker
Divas Need Love too - Klymaxx
Seven Whole Days - Toni Braxton
Work to Do- Vanessa Williams
She's Strange- Cameo
I am you Melody - Norman Connors
Angel in Disguise- Brandy

Ha! I think that's enough to keep her busy while she's running around deep in the woods.

Stay tuned for that tag!


5 comments:

  1. Ladylee, I sent you some snail mail detailing my gratitude, but I'll also say it here. THANK YOU for sucha thoughtful gift. Nobody up here in New Hampsire ever even heard of Cameo, Teena Marie, Ralph Tresvant..... It was a MUCH needed cultural transfusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was worried about that... I mean, I had NO idea what you like, and wasn't going to ask. You wail constantly about BNH... All that chasing the Brand New Heavies on the 'Hound, had me a bit, uh, confused.

    *crickets*

    Shoulda sent a little Tupac in that gift pack... Gangsta rap! That would have set it off right there!

    Glad you like:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It must be tag day, because I came over to tag you too. Since you already mentioned it, I'm good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kayla...

    That doggone tag is getting around pretty quickly, ain't it? I don't know if I've ever been double-tagged. Well, look out for mine tomorrow, and I am tagging you back... Good that takes another person off my 8 person requirement.

    And you tagged a couple of people I was going to tag. NO FAIR, Miss! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. uhmmm...how you gonna tag somebody and you didnt even do it first??????

    Leezie weezie...you sholl is somethin else!....

    But I'm so thirsty for a tag...Ima do it tonight! LOL

    Oh...and my name is different because of my new web venture...

    Check it out..link it..or something....You sis is tryna make some ad dough...nahimean?

    Http://theclubdiva.blogspot.com

    -DJ Diva

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!