Thursday, May 21, 2009

LadyLee's 2008 Book List

Alright this one right here goes out to Ms. Blackliterature.com. She likes this type of stuff.

Last year I listed the books I read in 2007. What I usually do is, once I finish reading a book, I write the title down in the back of my personal journal.

I was journalling last weekend and flipped to the back of the journal, and low and behold, there was a 2008 list of books read.

Thought I would post those.

LadyLee's 2008 Book List (in order read):

1. The Appeal by John Grisham.
2. The End of the Night - John MacDonald
3. Orange Mint and Honey - Carlene Brice
4. Seen it All, Done the Rest - Pearle Cleage
5. The Woods - Harlan Coben
6. The Church of the Dead Girls - Stephen Dobyns
7. Sweet Georgia Brown - Cheryl Robinson
8. The Truth about Love - Tia McCollors
9. Them - Nathan McCall
10. Don't Ever Tell -Brandon Massey
11. My Best Friend and My Man - Cydney Rax
12. Stand the Storm - Breena Clarke
13. The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
14. The Shack - William P. Young


I am so ashamed.

14 books. UGH!

I am VERY disappointed in that number. Last year I only read 26 books. I thought that I would at least top that, but my count has gone down.

One issue is that I LOVE short story anthologies. That's how I have discovered some of my favorite authors (including Queen of Lurk City, Tayari Jones). If I read a story I like, I will go investigate that author, and the rest is history!

So I have about 10 of those laying around the house. I have a tendency to pick one up here and there, and read a story, without ever finishing the book.

A few of my current anthologies (one of which is nonfiction):

All Aunt Hagar's Children - Edward P. Jones
The Giant Book of True Crime
Flash Fiction: 72 Very Short Stories
New Stories from the South: 2004 edition
New Stories from the South: 2008 edition
100 Menacing Little Murder Mysteries
Contemporary Fiction: 50 Short stories since 1970

So, I have a tendency to pick those up and read something fast and quick in one sitting. I think I picked that up from my writing class instructor. She asks that we get a few pages of good fiction in per day, and that's my way of getting something "complete" read very fast.

Best Book I read in 2008: Hands down, Orange Mint and Honey by Carleen Brice. Carleen is a blog sista. That was a GOOD book, girl. I even blogged about it! And it's being developed into a Lifetime movie. You go, girl! Make sure you get a part as an extra in the record store. That's what's hot!

Worst Book I read in 2008: Now, uh, you know I'm not going to say what that is. Honestly, most were good or okay. I never finish a bad book. I put that sucka down!

Creepiest Book I read in 2008: You know I like ol' crazy stuff that feels like it's out of an episode of Snapped. Love that stuff! (What is WRONG with me?).

With that said, the creepiest book was The End of the Night. It was about some serial killing jokers. It was from 6 different points of view- a killer, some victims, the lawyer, the prison guard, etc. (That is a sin in writing, but I like that). Some of it was journal style. (I really liked that.) And there were a whole SLEW of characters (Another writing no-no). It was VERY creepy. The book is 35 years old, and I found out about it in one of my books about writing styles. Very odd book indeed.

Wish I could find more books like it!!

I am not a big fan of inspirational Christian fiction. I think it is because it is too lightweight or something. Folks got problems, REAL problems, and I like to see that tackled from a spiritual perspective and in a REALISTIC fashion. So, two of the inspirational Christian books I read were The Truth about Love and The Shack. Both were very good.

The LBeezy is responsible for picking out good inspirational Christian books for us to read together.

*LBeezy raises eyebrow and mutters "What is Leezie talking about?"*

Hush gal... We just finished one book and that was the fiya! EVERY female should read that book! Go pick out more inspirational books for us to read and discuss.

So that is my reading list from 2008.

2009 looks like it's going to be a better year. I've already read 7 books, and I hope to reach at least 20.

Will I ever get back up to my yearly 40-50 books read per year?

I could only hope for that...

One day it'll happen!

5 comments:

  1. WOW! YOU ARE AN AMBITIOUS READER! I admire that. I gotta step of my reading game. I have periods where I read everything in site and then I have periods when I have to force myself to read anything...let alone a book.

    You have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for list. I need some new books to take on vacation next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading in the salon yesterday and the owner told me he wishes he could read like I do. I was like "well what's stopping you?" He couldn't give me a good answer. I never kept track of the books i've read last year. I know that I've already read at least 15 this year since I've read the 12 books of the Left Behind series. Hmm. Maybe I'll go jot down what I've read and see what I'm up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:22:00 AM

    I have to check out some of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the list, I've been looking for some good books to read.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!