Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blood, blood, blood!

Wow. Bet that title caught your attention.

LOL

That Southern Black Gal asked about blood oranges.

Here you go, Gal.


Looks interesting, don't it?

Here's another picture.



It should be easy to tell that blood oranges get their name from the fruit's color being the same as that of blood. Here's a better pic:


Yeah, that makes it crystal clear, doesn't it? Or as the English would say... that makes it bloody clear!

The first time I saw a blood orange was in one of my mother's cooking magazines. It was used as a garnish of some sort. I thought "That's a trip. I'ma have to get one of those."

And it is very rare to come across them.

They originated in Europe, but I think they are grown here in the USA also. They are a little smaller than regular oranges, and the hull looks a little rougher too.

And when I see any fruit or vegetable (and lately, rice) that color, I automatically think of an important family of natural antioxidants, the anthocyanins. These are seen in many fruits and vegetables, but I believe it is a rare phenomenon in the citrus family. This family of antioxidant is thought to have a slew of good health benefits, such as lowering cholesterol, lowering the risk of cancer and heart disease. And it is also know to boost the immune system. (Hence, the reason why I like foods with that class of phytonutrients).

I must say, I'm not a big fan of the fruit. I was a bit disappointed the first time I tried one. Just looking at it, it looks very sweet. Quite the contrary. It is more tart than sweet. To me, it tastes like a cross between an orange and an grapefruit.

So if you like that, then cool. I prefer regular oranges.

But I LOVE blood orange juice.

And I had blood orange sorbet for the first time back in December.


That is some GOOD stuff. One of the best sorbets I've ever had. LOVED-ED it!

I found a company, Ciao Bella, that makes the BEST sorbets in the world, including the blood orange sorbet. I'm addicted to that stuff. (Don't worry, I only buy one pint a month, if I buy it. And it runs about 60 calories a serving, so you can't beat that).

So that's your mini-tutorial on blood oranges. Like I said, I'm not a fan, and I never buy the fresh fruit. It's much too tart.

But hey, it's always good to try something new.

You never know, you may like them!

3 comments:

  1. Gonna go have me some "blood wine" right nah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:26:00 PM

    I can always count on you to break it all the way down. Lol

    Those oranges don't look too appealing. But the sorbet does look tasty.

    Speaking of grapefruit, I love it with sugar. That's the only way I can eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:58:00 AM

    now this is why I'm obsessed with your blog! I didn't know such a thing "blood orange" existed. I love fruit but it does look a little scary. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!