Thursday, July 15, 2010

Good Seedy Bread

One of my favorite readers, The Good Nurse, wanted to know about the new local bread I found that I spoke about in a post the other day.

It is a bread made by Big Sky Bread Company.



It is called Three Seed bread, and the three seeds in the bread are poppy, sesame and sunflower.


What I (and LadyTee) liked about this bread was that it was soft, and the seeds coated the outside of the bread. There were seeds in the bread, but they were ground up.



A loaf costs six bucks. That is a good price for a full loaf of whole wheat bread that contains no preservatives or artificial flavors. This bread is sweetened with honey only. So yeah, it's gonna cost ya. (And yeah, eating right can double your grocery bill).

But I'm not a big bread eater. In fact, I gave a third of my loaf to LadyTee to take home to her Mama. I try to share with her Mama any good eats that I find. I tend to stick with flourless breads that have to be stored in the freezer, or I buy breads that come in half loaves (like the ones made on the premises at the Dekalb Farmers Market).

This bread is great for toast, and it makes a pretty good sandwich. I made a soy chicken salad sandwich, with raw spinach, cucumber, and tomato.


That was a GOOD sandwich.

Now Good Nurse, this bread is made by a company in Birmingham, Alabama, which is considered to still be local (makes sense, since it's a couple of hours west of ATL). The Whole Foods stores carry it. There are a couple of other good local bakeries in my immediate area, like Masada Bakery in Decatur. There's also a bakery over in Poncey Highlands (forgot the name of it). I find their breads at my local vegan co-op store.

So there you have it, Good Nurse. I tend to stick with flourless breads, but I was trying to find a whole wheat bread that I don't mind eating, and that's not hard as a brick.

I think I found it! I'm definitely gonna keep this one in my kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. Leeeeee!!!!!

    i sho' appreciate the 411 on the bread...and yes, eating well will cost you but not as much as eating poorly! I CHOOSE LIFE!

    HERE IS THE LINK TO THE WEBSITE...we can order online and have it delivered to the house!!!! u know i am an onlineshoppingjunkie....

    happy eating everyone.

    http://www.bigskybreadcompany.com/

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!