Friday, December 12, 2008

Breaking My Rules

I broke one of my many rules last Saturday...

And I usually get terribly upset with myself for breaking my rules.

But this particular one, I broke:

"I DO NOT ATTEND CHILDREN'S ATHLETIC EVENTS!"

People know this, and they have to hear me talk much trash when they ask me about it.

So...

Last week, my Gang Leader The Green-Eyed Bandit, the Leader of my Triple F Posse (Financial Freedom Fighters), sent me an email:

"What are you doing tomorrow afternoon? Ced has a basketball game at 2:30 and wanted to know if you wanted to go"

**crickets**

Now, Green-Eyed Bandit knows I don't fool with childrens running around calling themselves playing sports. I have spent TOO many weekends carting my brother Milk and Cookies to his little league football games. I can still remember sitting on very COLD bleachers, my teeth chattering, watching that boy running around trying to play football.

HUMPH.

Never again. Never ever ever!!!

I sent her a polite email, telling her that I will attend her boy's basketball game when he plays for the Atlanta Hawks.

(I was sure to request free front row tickets... Nothing less will do for this Oldgirl).

She said she understood. But her boy Ced is the star of the team. It would be the first game of the year, and he was a starter.

And since we were having a Triple F Posse meeting that morning, she thought she would recruit some cheerleaders.

(I could've sworn I heard the sad violin music, or that sad Law and Order music playing within that email.)

So, I decided to throw caution to the wind... and break my rules.

(Oh, that Green Eyed Bandit know she know how to work that psychology.)

So, I go to the meeting, and I am all happy and hyped up, because all the ladies are making such wonderful strides in financial matters...

Afterwards, I start talking much trash to Ced.

He's a tall skinny 12 year old brutha, very laid back. I started pushing and shoving him around. He's very polite, and dealt with my harrasments well enough.

"Boy, I wanna see you score 100 points!"

"That's not allowed, Miss LadyLee."

He goes on to break down the rules to me.

I really didn't care about that. I wanted to talk trash, see some ol' Michael Jordan type action.

"Boy, I want to see some reverse back flip 360 degree flips in the air." I shove him hard again, hit him upside the head.

"That's not allowed, Miss LadyLee."

He goes on to recite more official rules of his league.

What is with this kid? No one is this dayum polite.

Well, I follow them out to the game. I start having flashbacks of being cold and sitting on uncomfortable bleachers. But the place was warm, the bleachers were good. That was a good thang!!

Then, the Green-Eyed Bandit morphed into something strange: a trash talking parent.

She snatched off her jacket, and tied it around her waist. Her eyes took on this eery steely look.

"This is my NBA," she spat as she stood in the bleachers. She placed her hands on her hips. "This is all I got."

*LadyLee scooting down the bleachers a little so as not to be a casualty of Green-Eyed Bandit's wrath*

Ced is #42 on the Phoenix Suns team. He's the tallest kid on the team, and I was still expecting him to do some behind the back slam dunks.

Now, this was actually a pretty good action packed game. And it was only an hour long. And these shorties were playing like they were playing for some money or something.

And the parents were yelling something awful. Green-Eyed Bandit was loudest of them all.


"Ref! Can I get some foul calls!?"

"This ain't football, Ref!"

"Play some D! Get on him!"

Ced was part of some really bad collision and left the game with a nosebleed. Green-Eyed Bandit went to check on her boy, but came back a few minutes later.

"Is he alright?" I asked.

"He's alright. I told him to man up and get back in the game."

*LadyLee raises an eyebrow. Green Eyed Bandit commences to hollering hard*

Green-eyed Bandit did more screaming, more hollering. She did a lot of walking back and forth in front of the bleachers. I'm suprised she wasn't all hoarse.

Thank goodness she didn't start cussing and throwing stuff around. I would've had to tip-toe outta there!
Ced's team won 28-13. Now that's a good opening day win.

And that was a good game. I hated that it was over in an hour.

(Imagine that!)

So Ced and Green-Eyed Bandit... I may make another appearance or two this season.

I kinda like breaking my rules.

And Ced... You're going to have to attempt at least one dunk for the Oldgirl. Really!

Ya'll have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. I remember those days of my 12 yr old playing rec ball for fun.
    Now, so much is at stake. Oh, well, it's waht he has always wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO @ "LadyLee scooting down the bleachers a little so as not to be a casualty of Green-Eyed Bandit's wrath."

    I remember my basketball days. If I hadn't joined the service, I would have tried out for the WNBA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lol

    That is one rule I refuse to break. Not because of the kids but for this very reason... The parents. They are OUT OF CONTROL. They're screaming and hollerin' and cussin' and carryin' on like it's a multi-million dollar deal on the line and the poor kids just wanted to play ball and meet some new people, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted something b/c you are in no way "wordless" and Wednesday been passed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @The BBall Mama... You would think that this is all for fun, but they were SERIOUS out there! They even watch and study film of their games and practices.

    @Kayla... You can still join Kayla! Go for it!! LOL

    @The Infamous LA... Parents are seriuos! They even have to sign a Parental Code of Conduct. (The Green eyed Bandit didn't sign one. LOL)

    @S-30...

    *Lee snatches up Serenity's prized wine collection, hauls it outside, and smashes each bottle on the hard concrete!*

    You know what, chicken? I'ma slap you. Next time I see you, I'ma slap you right upside your head! HUMPH!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol @ the law and order music.

    That's good you went out to support her son. He may just make it to the NBA and you'll be front row with green eyed bandit. The cameras will be on you then so you may want to sit elsewhere as to not be embarassed. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I know who suckered you in! Green Eyed bandit --ROFL!

    I've got a few invites for ya-- comin' soon--the "boy child" --didn't make the last cut for the JV this -- that's ok-- God knows what he is doing--lanky legs had to get his grades in order...I ain't have no dumb azz- jock in my house :)

    Boy child and girl child run track-- Boy child -- pretty good mid distance runner --3rd in county last year in the 1600 meters. Not the heck sure what the girl child wants to do on the track field..socialize with her competors of course...we'll see.

    I'll shoot you an email when there is a track meet! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to go to my daughter's basketball games and act a pure dee
    fool..she was so embarrassed she asked me not to come to any more games..I was just a proud parent..They went to the city championships (and lost) but I was right there..Went to her Softball games too..That team lost every game except the one I didn't go to..their final game..co-incidence?? Who knows.-lolol Glad you went out and supported her son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know you're funny...next time just don't break the rules - lol...mkay?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to hear all your rules??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:35:00 PM

    I have a feeling, I'm going to be just like Green-Eyed Bandit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The trash talking is all in fun. At this level, the boys have been playing together and against each other for a few years. This year, every time my son has a game, he is playing against at least 1 of his former teammates. We parents just like having fun at the games. Talking trash is one of my ways of having fun.

    It throws most people the 1st time they see me in action because normally I am looking for the "right" way to say things without "damaging" fragile people. LOL!

    Catch me at a NFL or NBA game. I am talking trash there too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talkin' trash?! Hmmm, I figure that's how I participate. ;) I get very loud with football. My husband is always reminding me that our neighbors can hear us when it’s the 4th quarter near the 2-minute warning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Raynard2:35:00 PM

    Quite useful material, much thanks for this article.
    this site

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!