Monday, December 08, 2008

The Great Assessment

I have no Monday Ramblings about my weekend.

Because, if I posted about my weekend, it would break out to anywhere from 5 to 8 posts.

I had a jam packed weekend... which I don't really care for. But I look back, and see that it was a good thang indeed.

Instead, I will do a repost, from someone else's blog.

The end of the year is almost here, and as is the usual case in the month of December, I, the Oldgirl, find myself pondering the past 11 months and the upcoming year, 2009. I'm thinking about stuff like: where I am at, where do I want to go, my goals for next year, where I succeeded, and where I missed the mark.

I already have a motto for next year...

"In 2009, everything's gonna be FINE."

Really though.

Anyway, a most interesting post showed up over in The Cheap Seats last month. All of the posts over in The Cheap Seats are interesting, but this particular post had more of an "a-ha" effect on me... It will serve as a proverbial springboard from whence I jump.

I'd like to repost that.

Hell, I didn't even ask Terry's permission.

I'm just gonna DO IT.

*Terry snatches cigar from his mouth and throws it hard across the room.*

Don't ring my cell phone and don't text me, Terry. I'm in no mood for cute verses from your Book of Cuss, lol.

So, I will repost that particular post...

I have a few comments afterwards.

Standing In The Universe (from Terry's Cheap Seats)

For a lot of people, this time of year becomes a period of reflection. You ponder who you are and where you are going; what you have and what you need. You think of the path you have walked down and wonder what the path looks like that lies ahead.

I am no different of course and I often have to take inventory of my life. I have to check in with myself and find out if everything is on the right heading.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it’s not.

So let’s take inventory today. It’s time for all of us to center ourselves in the universe here in the Cheap Seats. I will ask you a few simple questions. The idea is to think about them and give yourself an honest answer. Of course there are no wrong answers unless you are trying to fool yourself. And if you are, that alone speaks volumes as to where you are at.

Here we go.

Who are you?
Do you like who you are?
Who do you want to be, what is it that you must change?
What do you stand for?
What is your passion?
Who are the people that you love?
Why?
Do the people you love, love you?
Why/why not?
When people know you, do they really know you?
Is the place that you rest your head, your “home”?
If not where is “home” and do you want to be there?
If so, why are you not there?
When you wake up, do you go to the job that your really want to do?
If not, what are you doing to change that?
Is your family close to your heart?
If not why?
Who do you love?
Can you love them better?
Do they love you?
Can they love you better?
If you can love them better, why don’t you?
What do you want?
How will you get it?
What is important to you?
Who do you fight with?
Why do you fight with them?
What do you need?
What do you want?
Why don't you have it?
Are you happy or are you sad?
Why?
Are you smiling or are you crying?
Why?
What will make you better tomorrow than you are today?

These are all simple questions. Not anything earth shattering or overly introspective. They are just ones I think we all have to ask from time to time.

But I will admit, when answering them for myself, I’m not always happy with my answers.


Interesting post, isn't it?

Well, that post was up in late November, and a day hasn't gone by that I haven't thought about the questions posed therin.

So I thought I would scrawl them on the walls of the House of LadyLee for some of you who are pondering things yourself and setting up personal goals for next year.

I showed this to That Original Oldgirl Serenity-30 last week. I told her what I was gonna do. I like running things by her because she is that introspective type.

Well, she answered the very first question, "Who are you?" in a post titled the same. She is VERY brave to do so, because honestly I have no idea how to answer that question in a finite amount of words. (Ya'll know how long-winded I can be). I'd probably have to answer that question last.

As a matter of fact, answering all those questions would take me no less than about 100 pages.

And I plan on doing that up until January 1st. I think after all that, I will have a clear plan on what I want to be, or at least the general direction I want to go, in the year 2009.

A friend suggested that one not only answers the questions for oneself, but that one's entire circle should answer it.

That's scary, isn't it?

Might let you know who you should cut loose for 2009.

Or, who should cut YOU loose for 2009.

I've cut loose people in 2008, and Lawd have mercy, I have been cut loose.

(Yes, LadyLee is a horrible influence. Imagine that).

Hmm...

Just a little something for you to ponder.

Now, we likes to keep it smurfy over at the House of LadyLee, so there is NO way that I would post my answers...

But, if I see something, I don't know... interesting, I will be sure to post.

All I know is, no matter what's up, no matter what happens...

"In 2009, everything's gonna be fine."

Have a great week- ON PURPOSE.

9 comments:

  1. Didn't you get in trouble with me a long time ago, like 3 years ago for keeping everything Smurfy? How bout we compromise and you answer at least one of these questions per week?! Up until the new year and try and keep it at less than 100 pages please? Hmm. I'm thinking Thoughtsofasoutherngal would do well to answer Number 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @S30....

    Look here, gal. DON'T START WITH ME. I'll have no verbal drive-bys out of you, you hear me?

    Smurfy is as smurfy does. Ain't a thang wrong with Smurfy.

    That is a small challenge. This only means I have to answer 3 questions until the New Year. I can pick out three and answer either "Yes" or "No".

    And that would really piss you off, wouldn't it?

    Maybe I will, maybe I won't. All depends on if I see something interesting.

    So until then... HIRSH HONEY.

    (Ooooh. I know that just REALLY made you mad. LOL!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:46:00 AM

    Did Serenity just call me out?

    I remember that post from Terry. I even printed out the questions but never got around to answering them.

    I will tackle the first question and post it. K, Serenity? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn. Those are REALLY good questions. I might have to answer them myself... but they will no doubt turn into a small movel, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. terry is on point.

    i will be answering these question on my blog. i have been reflecting on this year also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I immediately sent this post to a male friend who is experiencing varying turmoils (plural) on the job and at home. I also want to answer these questions for myself.

    Since I've been keeping a diary since 1983, I think I'll reserve my raw answers for my written journals. I think we tend to censor ourselves when writing such personal things to the public (via our blogs), and inadvertently slide into what we wish the answer was for ourselves.

    After recording my raw answers on paper, I'll sure share the aha moments and lessons learned at my blog.

    Great post (and oh yeah... great post to you too Terry for getting this started) LOL

    Hawa, author of
    Fackin Truth Blog (Personal Blog)
    and
    Cleanse Master Remix (Health Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @That Southern Black Gal...Man, threaten to break one of Serenity's wine bottles. She'll leave you alone. LOL

    I thought these were really good questions too.

    @The Infamous LA...
    Man, answering those questions would indeed be a raging novel. That is what concerns me! But, reading your answers would be on some whole other level, girl!

    @Dreamy... Yeah, you and that La- ya'll some young broads. I WISH I could have answered some questions like this when I was ya'lls age. No telling where I would be right now. HARD SIGH.

    @Hawa B...See, me and you are seeing eye to eye: keeping those raw answers for the journals, and posting any "a-ha" moments. I like to keep it smurfy over in these parts and don't want to take it tooo deep. Chile, that ish would be a good hundred pages long, and I'm TRYING to work on cutting my longwinded-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm, maybe answering these questions is a good way to get back and update my blog. I could answer a question every few days and post it.
    That may be really enlightening.
    I'll have to think on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "When people know you, do they really know you?"

    Absolutely, they get the good and the bad, and sometimes ugly. Nevertheless, even if you know me for a short time or we have just been introduced what you see and hear is the real deal. I don’t have time to make up stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!