Thursday, January 22, 2009

Auntie LadyLee

So...

I was at work in the lab, having a GOOD time working (yeah right).

When my cell phone rang.

It was my brother Kari, aka "Milk and Cookies", who's stationed up in Virginia.

"Hello?"
"Hey, Lee," he said.
"Wassup, man?"
"Just called to let you know that you're gonna be an Auntie."

*crickets*

"Really?"
"Yeah."
"How far along is she?"
"A few weeks. We just found out."

*crickets*

"Well, congratulations," I said.
"Thank you."
"Everything going alright with ya'll?"
"Yeah, everything's fine."
"Well that's good to hear."
"I got to make a few other calls," he said.
"Okay. Well, congratulations," I said again.

We said our goodbyes and hung up.

So, I am going to be an Auntie. Hmmm...

I must say, I am happy for him, since he and his wife have been wanting a baby. I hope the best for them, and that everything will be alright.

We haven't talked much as of late because of various disagreements a while back, but we do text each other from time to time.

While I was thinking about all this, I thought back to some discussions he, myself, and my sister had while standing around the kitchen island talking about family stuff. They both said how they didn't want children, because they didn't want a whiff of a chance of their child feeling the way we felt when we were growing up. It wasn't really worth it. I, who had the hardest time out of us all growing up, tried to convince them that that wouldn't be the case. I thought that they were good people and would be good parents.

I would have hated for the strain and memories of the past to taint their futures...

And just for that reason, I am glad for Milk and Cookies.

He can look past the past, and make his own future.

And that is a lesson that I am still trying to learn for myself.

15 comments:

  1. Good Advice Auntie...

    You still got room on the Auntie list for two more...teens...

    I never cease do I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must've missed a post because I didn't realize that boy had gotten married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cyncere Sista... You're always trying to sell those children off. LOL!!

    @That Oldgirl Chele... I never did a post. He got married back in November 2007, I believe. Let's just say, you are as in awe as the rest of our family...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! He's growing up. It's almost like you're an auntie and a grandmother at the same time, since you raised Milk and Cookies. Mayne, just when Val was considering more children, her man went off and impregnated another woman, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @the LBeezy... Yep, I'm sure ol' Serenity is somewhere crying her eyes out over her little admirer moving on, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ws thinking the same thing as Chele. He got married in Novermber of '07?? wow.

    Well may god bless him and the missus with a happy,healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:12:00 PM

    Well, Congrats on becoming an Auntie to be. That baby will add to much joy to your family. I am happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:34:00 AM

    LadyLee there was a reason you were stocking up on all of that yarn LOL!!!!

    Congrats to Milk and Cookies
    *I can't say or read that without thinking of Bernie Mac* and his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...baby bro is a cutey!

    Congrats to the happy couple. for them to know she's pregnant just a few weeks in, this must have been planned.

    have you already started making baby stuff?

    will this be your first neice/nephew?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think to some degree we all need to learn that lesson. It's great when we stop letting the past control us. Congrats to your family on the soon to be addition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww....I'm happy for him all around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mean you ain't learned that lesson yet?

    Congrats to your fam for the impending new addition(s).

    You really slipped on the married thing...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:19:00 PM

    Lee is going to be an Auntie!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to mom and dad, and auntie too!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!