Friday, January 02, 2009

Head Cold Essentials



Wooooo chile...

The Original Oldgirl LadyLee has been fighting a hellacious cold. It has busted up any plans I've had all week for my staycation. UGH.

I'd like to give a special shout to my baby sister Kentucky who lives in the upstairs wing of my house. Whenever she comes downstairs she has to hear me wail.

"Kentucky, I'm a right bit parched here. Brang me my water out the frigerator... and brang me my cell phone if you see it!!"

She brings it all. I can tell she is cussing me out in her mind. She's use to dealing with rowdy little childrens, so...

Luckily, I have all I need around me. I've only had to venture out once this week, and that was to get a few prescriptions filled. (And I was surprised how COLD it is in the ATL!)

But, I try not to be in and out of the house. This is hard when I have to work because the Oppressor don't give a dayum if I'm sick or not. For them, the rule is, I better wake up dead if I'm not coming to work. And that ain't good (or right).

So, although I am off, I do have the opportunity to be at home and have time to get better. I am on the tail end of said cold, so I may venture out today or tomorrow.

With that said...

If you find yourself getting a bit sickly, I have a list of essentials, no, NECESSITIES for the common cold. These things have made life a little easier during these strange times...

1. Tissue. Now I realized that something was REALLY wrong when I was sitting in church last Sunday. I did not only have the sniffles, but my nose was all runny. So after church, I headed straight to the drug store and prowled around for EXPENSIVE tissue. Gone are the days of grabbing a roll of toliet tissue and working it out. I didn't feel like dealing with a raw nose!

So, I go get that Puffs with the lotion in it.

But did you know, there are some Puffs now that got lotion, vitamin E AND Vicks Vapor Rub infused all up in it?

GLORY!!!

I'd like to shake the hand of the shawty that came up with that idea! My nose has sho nuff felt pampered! I declare this the official tissha of the House of LadyLee!

I have only a few sheets left. Shoot man... I'ma make those LAST!

LOL!

2. Lozenges. You gotta have some lozenges, man! My throat hasn't been a big problem, as it only bothers me in the morning. (I need to be slapped for sleeping with the ceiling fan on).

So while hanging out at the pharmacy waiting for some prescriptions to be filled, I saw these:


WOW. When's the last time you've seen some Sucrets. I haven't seen those since the 70s. I bet you young folks under the age of 30 know NOTHING about Sucrets.

And they are "Guaranteed... Made stronger to last Longer"!

Really though.

3. Orange Juice. Now when I get sickly, I know I need to jack up my Vitamin C intake. I usually have a jar of pure Vitamin C powder lying around, but I am out, and I ain't trekking out to the Health store way up in North Druid Hills to get any. I'll have to work that out the next time I'm out that way.

But, my second choice is orange juice. I do like the expensive stuff.

But sometimes, I have to take it to that other level.

Sometimes I make my own juice.

So I break out my trusty Jack Lalanne juicer.

That's right. I peel some oranges, and I get ta juicing.




Ya'll don't know NOTHING about that. You weren't ready for that, were you?

That's what's hot, babes! That's how you do it.


4. A good book. You always need a good book when you're sick. I perused several during this time, but the most interesting was a children's book.



My sister is getting a Masters in early childhood education so she has quite an, uh, eclectic selection of books. I found this one particularly interesting.

I read it twice in 5 minutes. LOL.

I will do an, uh, book review on it, later this month.

5.Soup. There's nothing like a good bowl of chicken soup. I have no appetite right now, but I have to eat something, so soup will do. And you know I can't STAND soup out of the can. It MUST be homemade.


Yeah, that's the good stuff there.

So, there you have it... all that I needed to see me through my cold.

Hope everyone is having a good new year thus far. It's day 2... 363 days to go 'til 2010.

Make it a good one! Make it count!

3 comments:

  1. Okay. First off. Not the llama!

    And why did you peel the oranges?

    But most important, can I have some?

    I am gonna let you take care of me when I get sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so calling you first when I get sick! And yes I feel you on the tissues. I bought puffs with the vicks and I was so over the moon about it...I must have called everyone I know to rave about them...LOL!

    The juicer was Hot! LOL!

    Feel better! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you're fighting a cold, literally.

    I find garlic always helps. I make plenty of it with broccoli in a soup when I feel a cold coming on.

    Hawa, another blogger, suggests Rock and Rye in tea.

    Passing on the good stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!