Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Hoop Dreams

My coworker, Ol' Mean Ass Cynthia is REALLY mean.

Her cubicle is on the opposite side of mine, but every morning, she likes to walk around to my side, and say "Good Morning".

This scares the heck out of me most of the time because she is TERRIBLY quiet when she moves. She doesn't walk, but she glides. It is VERY vampire or ghostlike, the way she moves around. She seems to get a sick kick out of walking up and scaring me.

That is so mean.

Well, we had an interesting convo before Christmas. We were discussing some paperwork, I believe, when she busts out with...

"Give me them earrings out of your ear. My baby needs some earrings."

*crickets*

It took a minute for all of that to register. Her baby is one of my House of LadyLee mascots, Chayse, who has been the subject of many a post over in these parts.

"No," I yelled.

What seemed like a slight argument started up. And I have to be careful about Ol' Mean Ass Cynthia. She's the type of broad who would knock me down and snatch the earrings out of my ears.

And I wanted NO parts of that.

"She can't have my earrings. I need to buy some more, so I will just buy Chayse a pair."

She gave me the blank stare. This meant that she was satisfied with that answer.

Now, I wear simple small gold hoop earrings. I will slit my throat if I have to match earrings with outfits. I wear sweats to work everyday- no need for anything fancy.

I'm a tomboy, and simple gold hoops gives me just a touch of feminity.

Chayse is a girly-girl, and wears big earrings. But her Grandma Christine said "She looks like a gypsy."

LOL!!

Poor child needed some earrings.

So I headed to the bootleg Discou.nt Mall on Old National Highway to pick up some earrings.

One thing I hate is dealing with surly Asian folk who sell jewelry. Yeah, we know you've been looking at negroes ALL day, and you don't like us. But doggonit, that's no reason to try to dupe me.

So they tried to sell me hoops that were not the same size. They tried to sell me hoops that had differing designs on them. Just weird stuff.

I FINALLY negotiated with one chick for some decent hoops that would fit Chayse's ears.


They had the NERVE to try and charge me 30 bucks for these, but I negotiated down to 18 bucks (which was still too much, but I got tired of arguing). I wanted a bigger set of hoops for myself, but they were REALLY tripping.So I will get those some other time.

So, I gave Ol' Mean Ass Cynthia the hoops. She actually said "thank you". Hmm... the woman has a somewhat nice side.

I got a call last night. "My baby wants to talk to you."

Chayse got on the phone. "Thank you, Miss LadyLee."

"You're welcome, baby," I said.

She then went on to talk and talk about some other stuff. (I have no idea what she was talking about. You know how kids can be.)

She even took a photo.


Those look good, Chayse.

Now, you don't look like a gypsy.

I told her she could just leave them in.

I told her to be sure not to lose them.

And Ol' Mean Ass Cynthia... don't run back up on me demanding my earrings if she does lose them.

16 comments:

  1. I can't believe you can wear sweatpants to work. I never liked sweatpants, but I would love to come to work in jeans at least half the week...heaven.

    the earrings look cute...i haven't haggled for some gold since way back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hate hate hate...comment mod. damn things always wants me to type the code in more than once! ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they tried to sell you earrings that were two different sizes?? Have mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Opinionated Diva...
    We do a lot of dirty work, so there is no need to wear anything nice (as far as I'm concerned).

    I hate haggling over gold. They KNOW they overprice that stuff!

    @Chele...

    Chick tried to argue me up and down that they were the same size. You have GOT to be kidding me. I finally just walked off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:50:00 PM

    Happy New Year!

    I think the Discount "Mall" you are referring to is the same one where I had a standing Friday appointment [for 3 years] to get my eyebrows done. I wish I could find that man....he gave me perfect arches everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you know I paused at the the first sentence...there you go again--with the Old Mean Azz Cynthia thing...you know that be my slave name. :)

    You're a good auntie...drove waaay over to Old National...

    I keep tellin' you that I have two teen mascots that will happily join your group :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Pam... Man, you can get all KINDS of stuff at the Discount mall. Get some bootleg art, nails done, hair done, get some hot wings... LOL

    They got busted by the police last year for counterfeit gear. When I watched that on the news, I thought, shoot, can I still get some earrings if I need them!?

    Hope you find your eyebrow man! LOL!

    @Cyncere Sister...

    Yes I am a good Auntie. Drove all the way to Old Nat'l IN THE RAIN. Humph.

    Yeah, you got big kids. I'ma need that boy of yours to come clean out my gutters.

    Much obliged!

    LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks so cute in those earrings. Them folks at the bootleg mall are too much.
    They no different here in LA.

    The most interesting time I had negotiating was watching my chinese co-worker deal with the folks selling the bootleg Cartier and Rolex watches in NYC. All undercover and stuff. That was pure comedy 'cause she had to handle the business in chinese. I was too through.
    Bought my hubby a really nice Cartier knockoff though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:40:00 PM

    She is tooo cute with those earrings on! I wear sweats to work too, I'm always cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those earrings are too cute on her..

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was nice of you :)

    but ummm mean ol cynthina would have got a good ole cussing lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. the REAL mean one is Cowgirl Cre...and she KNOWS why...hmpph!!!

    she's a cutie with those 'rangs on...

    but I will hear no more of your tomboy-ishness...you uh...sports...pocketbooks.

    'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:45:00 AM

    She is just too cute.

    I'm mad they tried to charge $30 for those earrings. They always trying to get over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. she is soooo cute...awww!
    that was really nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am new here - I don't know all the background.

    Interesting story, though...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stephen4:26:00 AM

    Thanks so much for the article, quite effective information.
    pickling salt | wood sculpture | cheap flights from Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!