Friday, December 11, 2009

Freestyle Fridays

TGIF does not even begin to describe how thankful I am that it is Friday.

Work has been a bit swashbuckling, so I am happy for the weekend.

Another freestyle friday here... stuff straight off the top of my head.

As of yesterday, I FINALLY paid off this new laptop. GLORY. The accrued interest, some 300 dollars worth, would've kicked in TODAY.

I was on the phone with the people yesterday, hollering "Are you SURE I have a balance of $0?"

LOL. I know they were wondering "Who is this fool?"

I have a small credit card to pay off before the end of December. That will fulfill my bootleg financial goals for the year. No, I didn't conquer the world this year, but little victories are victories indeed. I will rejoice and be happy in that.

What am I reading right now? Eric Jerome Dickey's The Other Woman.

Ugh.

I don't like it. And the only reason I'm reading it is because it is our December book club book. I am thinking about chucking it. It is too erotic and I don't know, nouveau riche for me. I read this book a few years ago, and I'd always been a fan of early EJ writing. This book, if I remember correctly, was just a'ight. So I am fighting through it, but there has to be something better I can do with my time. Really. We will see.

The Princess and the Frog comes out today. The first time I heard about this movie was back in October when I had gone to the movies to see Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair. There was a HUGE poster display for the movie.

And the princess was black.

I remember pausing at the poster and yelling "Something's wrong. The girl is black."

Obviously there had been a mistake. All the princesses and heroines in every Disney movie I'd seen were white, and not just white, but unusually pale.

(Well, let's not count Pochohantas and Milan. And that was a stretch, the native american and asian twist. Didn't think much of it at the time).

But a black princess? My sister said she told me about it. And some chick in her education class gave a scathing talk on the fact that the Prince wasn't black.

Yeah, ya'll don't need to ask for TOO much. If this movie does well, then maybe they'll consider such.

I think it will be a good thing for young black girls. I wish there were black princesses when I was growing up.

What am I eating today? I'm not sure what's for breakfast. I eat oatmeal every morning, but I think I'll just have a bowl of fruit (a cut up pear and apple). I need something light this morning.

The last two days, I've been fooling around with a 32 bean soup for lunch. The joke has been that I would blow my cubicle mate Cowgirl Cre out the cubicle with my gasiness. I ain't gassy, but it has made me sleepy as all get out. An Oldgirl needs a cot and a pillow, and I can't have that at work. So I think I will have a veggie stuffed tomato for lunch, with a side of kale or swiss chard. Just trying to at least keep myself alert today, lol...

I want to go to church tonight, but that's only if I can dip on time. Church starts at 7. I get off at 7. I like a full service, but I might just have to roll in late (as usual on friday night).

This weekend will be uneventful (hopefully), full of my regular activities. I am getting geared up for Christmas, so I may at least make a small list of gifts I hope to purchase for peeps. (My Christmas budget is only 100 bucks every year, so that list will be very small and economical.) We aren't decorating, but I may throw a wreath on the front door.

I haven't gotten any writing done in the past few days, which feels... odd. I will most definitely put a dent in some writing this weekend.

Now, I hope you've had a pretty good week. And it's cold everywhere (even here in the ATL) so you be sure to wrap up and stay warm.

TGIF, doggonit.

And enjoy your weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to see The Princess and the Frog this weekend. It's a must for me, a black princess located in New Orleans too, I'm there. I told my husband he has to take me to Walt Disney World now so I can take a picture with the black princess...hey, you use what you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! for the little victories! Um, yeah, Imma half to ask you to stop reading that ghetto lit. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Green Eyed Bandit2:57:00 PM

    No meetings this weekend? I just askin' before I get a verbal lashing for not reminding you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH BE QUIET, GREEN EYED BANDIT.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!