Thursday, December 31, 2009

Post 3: Southern Black Gal Postulate #99

Wassup ya'll...

It's the last day of the year.

The decade is winding down. Time is ticking away, and soon this decade will exist only in our thoughts.

I woke up this morning to some bizzare scratches and clickings. I quickly realized in all my grogginess that it was ol' Oscar-Tyrone. He was either scratching away in his litter box or the metal tag of his collar was clicking against the bowl from which he was eating.

Such simple noises awakened me. I was a little miffed about it, but I decided to get up and do a little praying. I had a fine time on this last day of the year, reviewing and thanking God for all the triumphs of the last 10 years.

I've been thinking about that all week. If you're anything like me, you are a little disappointed in a few decisions, occurences, etc. I'm not exactly where I thought I'd be in life. And that's okay.

But, do you realize how far we've come in 10 years? I mean, some of you didn't have kids 10 years ago, now you do. Many of us were in different jobs. Heck, some of ya'll hadn't even graduated from college yet. Many live in totally different cities.

Triumphant times galore. We have long laundry lists of things for which we could give thanks.

Then there are the tragedies. The failures in our lives.

As for myself, I was married at the turn of the last decade. That is no longer the case. I was diagnosed with an chronic illness during this decade. Some of my friends and family died during this decade.

We experienced the worst terror attack on American soil during this decade. The residual effects of that thing will be felt forever.

Triumphs

Trials

Tribulations

Troubles galore.

This decade is 99.985% over.

Time to look ahead. A new horizon is at hand.

I am reminded at this time of a food for thought nugget I posted up in 2007. One particular blogger, Southern Black Gal, stuck it in her back pocket and ran with it. She was SERIOUSLY excited about this one. Very much so.

It perplexes me when folk pick up my mindless (and mindful) ramblings.

Southern Black Gal Postulate #99:

"I can't fully focus on the drive ahead to my destination, if I keep staring in the rear view mirror at what's going on behind me..."


It no longer belongs to me. It rests on the mantlepiece in the House of the Southern Black Gal now.

Maybe she'll let us all borrow it.

Sometimes we have to quickly check the rearview mirror, just to get a quick view of what is going on around us.

The problem is that sometimes we keep STARING into it, pondering what's going on behind us, so much so that we aren't paying attention to what's going on ahead of us.

We are not fully focusing.

Which results in fear and doubt.

Which could result in us missing our purpose altogether.

(And ya'll know how much we like to ponder the age old question "Why am I here?")

And speaking for myself, I've missed out on some good things because I was too concerned with what happened in the past.

And in 2010, I can't let that happen.

And neither can you.

We will go through things. Assess the thing, make the proper adjustment, cry a little...

And then quickly get up, brush yourself off, get back in the car...

And press the pedal to the metal...

Focusing fully on your drive ahead to your destination.

(Well, that's what I plan to do... come hell or high water).

Ya'll have a safe night. Don't party too hard.

Because in 2010, it's time to win...

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I'm really feeling like these should be in a spiral journal so that I can follow along or revisit them when I need some reminders. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My head is too fuzzy to say anything other than...HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE HERE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I can't fully focus on the drive ahead to my destination, if I keep staring in the rear view mirror at what's going on behind me..."

    This saying has meant alot to me in the past months since I have spent so much time looking in that mirror with the "I wish" and "shoulda, coulda, wouldas" and being afraid of the future. Thankfully I do not look in that mirror as much I used to.

    Thank you (I know you are not doing it for me) for this series. I am grabbing little nuggets here and there that have my wheels turning. Yep...my toothpick is in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true...Love it...already added it to my list of quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:50:00 AM

    I'm playing catch up on your posts. My computer was down for a couple of days.

    But you are right! I stole that nugget and ran with it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!