Wednesday, December 16, 2009

That Doggone Vegetarian Post

I need to give a vegetarian update.

And I've been avoiding this. Not avoiding it really, but I couldnt figure out how to blog about it.

This is not an issue, but I just haven't really cared to do it. Honestly, it would take several posts, and I get a bit drained by my longwinded self.

Plus...The shine wore off that thing.

Now, that in no way means that I've stopped the pursuit. I was a bit more excited this summer when I started this little venture on June 1, 2009.

My goal was to vet the whole situation for the last 6 months of this year.

I'm still kicking vegetarian. But, I have had some meat here and there.

When I went on vacation to the Mayan Riviera in September, I had plenty of meat.

I mean it was all inclusive... there were seven restaurants there!

I mean, they had lobster!





I ordered that on our first night there, I believe. I think I had a sliver of that steak, and gave the rest to Kimmie Kim.

She had shrimp that night.


I MADE her give me one of those shrimp (while I forced her to take that steak off my hands). LOL

I think I had all kind of things I hadn't been eating. And I did that on purpose.

I found out some very interesting things.

I don't care for eggs (scrambled or otherwise).

I really like seafood of all types.

I don't care for chicken or pork.

I could take or leave beef (I rather leave it).

I can't stand salty stuff.

I hate hate HATE cow milk.

Hmm... all interesting.

My taste buds have changed. I like the seafood deal. (Had some for the thanksgiving holiday).

I decided that if I eat meat, it will probably be seafood (even though I am feeling that thought fading away).

But like I said, the shine of all this has completely worn off.

I think that's a good thing...

It's almost like meat is going the way like the end of a movie.

It's fading to black, credits slowing scrolling up the screen.

I rather do my veggies and more healthier fare than meats.

And that's a very good thing.

Now, I have to focus on what to do next. Definitely decided that I'll just stay this way, but I've seen a problem areas, and room for improvement.

1. Problem Areas. I do like carbs. Carbs is an issha with me. So my behind needs to FOCUS in this area. One good thing for me is that I really like flourless breads and other flourless products, but doggonit, I like sweets, too. (Somebody needs to hook an Oldgirl up with some flourless doughnuts!)

The solution is rather simple: learn to cook good vegan desserts. Problem is that I don't care to bake said desserts. I do have a plan for a couple of desserts, though. My goal is to fool around with those over the holidays.

The local vegan store has an insane variety of vegan cakes, dessert bars, fruit parfaits, all kinds of craziness. I may just have to satisfy my sweet tooth up there.

I also got this thing for cheese and sour cream. I'm not sure what that's about. I don't eat much of either to cause concern, but I would like those out of the way completely. I found interesting substitutes for those. I can make my own sour cream, and I can make my own cheese from various nuts. I'm raising an eyebrow at that, but hell, it's worth a try. That means hanging out in the kitchen a little more. Sigh.

But, this type of thing, the carb thing, gets strong on me when I'm PMSing. So maybe I just have to get through my hormonal stages. Sigh.

2. Expand. This is somewhat related to #1 above. I'm at the point right now where I have to do some expanding, just cooking more stuff. Plus, there are things I purpose to add more of to my diet, especially on a daily basis, like more green leafy vegetables. Those seem to have all the vitamins and minerals I need, well most of them, and I have to ramp that up. So, it is a goal now to figure out new ways to prepare these things. This means more time in the kitchen, which I detest. But if I want to continue to eat right, I must cook from scratch.

3. Education. You know, a mind is a terrible thing to waste. Really it is. So, I have found what has helped me the most is to do a little reading.

People get upset with me when I say I'm transitioning to vegetarian.

"How will you get your protein, Oldgirl."

That ain't a problem. I read that the American diet contains 3 times as much protein as needed. Beans contain much protein. Plus, there is a specific grain that contains every amino acid. I eat that one on a regular basis (I damn near crave it, lol). I found a sea vegetable that contains every amino acid. I found a heavy cream substitute that tastes justs as good as regular dairy cream. Came across some beef and chicken broths that are all natural, and don't contain chicken or beef (and taste better).

This is stuff I never knew.

I say all that to say this: I learn a lot from reading. New things to try, stuff I need to avoid, etc...

And I will continue reading. My goal is to learn one new thing a week. I learn more than that.

I am considering finding a support group of some type. That might not work out, as I am NOT interested in cavorting with a bunch of bone thin beatniks, lol. But I am sure I can find a few people like me who are transitioning and are looking to learn and share ideas.

Now I'm not doing this for weight loss purposes. The only time I get weighed is when I go to the doctor every 4 to 6 weeks. I've lost around 30-32 pounds.

No, I am doing this for health reasons. This vegetarian thing has greatly improved my lupus issues. In talking with my doctor, we figured out that I have squashed about 90% of my pain. I still have issues, like right now, I have a very mild tendonitis in my foot (which irks me to no end, although it is not painful), but I have greatly reduced the inflammation isshas in my body, thus less pain. I AM HAPPY FOR THAT, MAYNE.

And my iron issues somehow got solved in the process. I don't know WHAT that's about. I was popping iron pills like candy, and it was BARELY working out. My doc was like "You can stop taking your iron pills if you like." She got the hard side eye for that one.

Uh, no honey. Maybe a year from now.

I am doing this for a lifestyle change. And I'm seeing now, how this is slowly fading into my lifestyle.

I was told by another vegetarian that it will take a couple of years to get the hang of things.

That saddened me, but only for a brief moment.

I got this here toothpick, and I'ma dig this vegetarian ditch with my toothpick... doggonit.

So what if it takes a couple of years. We gonna take it, and conquer it!

I feel I have accomplished much over the past 6 months. I give myself a grade of a "B".

I will continue to grow, and accomplish much concerning this venture in 2010.

5 comments:

  1. Ya know, nutritionist have been saying for ages that, it's the food we eat that's killing us...that we're supposed to eat fruits and veggies, not the red meat and stuff. Wow, 90% of the pain problem...that's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flourless doughnuts
    Bone thin beatniks

    You make me smile. :)

    No more iron pills???? For real? For that reason alone I would consider being a vegetarian. But if I lost 30 pounds I would look like a broomstick.

    Do you take multi-vitamins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:38:00 AM

    Good job Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very proud of you. I don't know how you even handled the steak after all that time of no meats. I'm glad you are finding this helpful for your lupus. I don't tink I could ever give up cheese. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!