Tuesday, December 08, 2009

An Oldgirl's Vision Board, Part I

Last week, I put up a picture of a pseudo vision board for my current writing project.

It got me to thinking about the life vision board I made back in January 2008. (I wish I would've dated it. I think it was January 2008).

I had it rolled up, sitting in a corner. I taped it up on the wall and snapped a photo. (excuse the bluriness. My camera is acting funny.)



It's peppered with many words...

Things I want to be: good, special, unique and the like.

Things I long for: Hope, joy, passion, health, truth, peace, dreams, time, and real satisfaction...

And the overall theme: I want to be "A Better Me.

Not sure what I was thinking with that huge "100%" and "Life".

I guess it means I want to enjoy life to the fullest.

A huge part of the poster is taken up by what I am passionate about, something I truly love, and I think about all the time.

Writing.

There's a bootleg bookcase up there, all glittery and gold, with the names of all the books I want to publish.

And sadly, there's nothing concerning chemistry on there. That is like, my job... It is nothing that I think about anymore. (I suppose it gets that way when I've been in the field for 20 years, and accomplished all I care to accomplish in it.)

And that part above labeled "thermostat" takes up a large part of the right hand side of the poster.

It is my personal vision statement.

A thermostat is guage one uses to set the temperature, the atmosphere of the house. I've been taught to set it, don't mess with it.

Just set the darn thing.

For the atmosphere will eventually reach the temperature at which the thermostat is set.

And I've set my thermostat for my inner house.

This is very basic, and I've wanted to put it up, but I've always considered it deeply personal, as it is highly intangible and very spiritual in nature.

It is something I've memorized, and I keep it my heart. I ponder where I've fallen short, rejoice where I've been competent and successful.

I don't too much worry about where I've fallen short.

It don't matter.

The thermostat is set. I will eventually get there.

You may yell, "That's corny, LadyLee!"

No, what's corny is being a thermometer... something that takes the temperature of the atmosphere, and that's all.

Just going with the flow, not striving for anything, going with the crowd, being a followere, etc.

I don't want a thermometer. Give me a thermostat, man.

I am running up on my 40th birthday pretty soon, on February 7, 2010, and I'm doing something special leading up to it. (Well special to me).

I'm gonna do 40 posts on 40 things/lessons that have been important in shaping who I am, and where I've come from and where I want to be.

I wanted to do like my homegirl Chele, one of the bloggers I respect and jock like crazy. LOL

She did 45 days leading up to her 45th birthday. I learned a TON of things from her doing that whole thing.

If I did such, it would be 40 days leading up to my 40th birthday. But I don't know if I want to blog everyday, so I will spread it out a little more.

One thing I wanted to do: Post up this "thrermostat".

And I plan to discuss each part of it in full detail. That'll be 10 really detailed posts. Very detailed.

Like I said, I've never wanted to post it as I never wanted it tainted. I've never wanted to fall into people judging where I'm at at any given point.

I must be able to judge for my ownself where I am in the process. I

And since this post is running long...

We'll post that up tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I like the concept of the thermostat. The thing is if you live over here, I'm constantly messing with the thermostat and changing what I want the temp to be. Looking forward to birthday lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing my eyes went to was the 100%! That's a good thought, to be a thermostat. Imma have to try some of this stuff. My goal for 2010 is to be more open...that'll be really hard for me...me so guarded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:59:00 AM

    I'm working on my vision board for 2010. Maybe I will post a pic. I like the thermostat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool 40 posts. for 40 -- I'll be 10 years your senior next year... "Phine at 50" and I'm contemplating stealing your idea...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!