Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grand Turks Vacation Pictures

So, I guess I will blog...

I just need to just get back on the horse and BLOG.

I feel better today. One of those, "I feel nauseous, but if I sit still, I will be alright" type of days. But at least I'm alert, and not half comatose. I am not at all smurfy, but at least I'm moving around and working.

Easiest thing to do is put up vacation pictures. I don't have to think too hard about those. Can't say I'm particularly thrilled with them. They do not take my breath away. But we'll put them up anyways!

First up: Turks and Caicos.

So here's a map of Turks and Caicos.



As you can see from the map, that is a little tiny island on the far right hand side of the map above.

O_o

A bit small isn't it? Hmm...

No we didn't go to any of the big shiny islands of Turks. From what I read, those aren't highly populated. That small island is where the capital and the main population of around 6000 people are.

Here are shots of the island as our cruise ship approaches.

A beautiful shot of palm trees. A picture of our Phat ship! Here's the capsule that John Glenn landed in when he orbited the earth back in the sixties. Being a scientific Oldgirl, I wanted to jump out of the van and run up there and touch it! But you know I couldn't do that, lol. The post office...
We also saw the welfare office. We wanted to stop there! Our driver wouldn't. :(


The local library.
The National Museum...
Our driver...
I was worrying him before we left, wanting to know if he could get us back to the boat on time. I did not want to be left. He said "Ma'am, it will take us only an hour, hour and a half."


Yes, the island is THAT small.

He even drove past his house to show us where he lived, lol.

The water was beautiful.

Here's a gas station.
We thought that was FUNTY! 2 pumps! We'd be in line for HOURS in the ATL if there were 2 pump stations. And I only saw 2 gas stations on our tour. As you can see, it looks like a ghost town!

More of the pretty water. We actually saw some humpback whales! They were moving to fast for me to get pictures.
A picture of a rock... and more water.
Turks art! It was expensive.

Turks main attraction: the Lighthouse.
*crickets* Nice. But it needed a good coat of paint. We didn't get to go in.


And we even drove past a horse and donkey farm. Beautiful horses... roaming freely.
Roaming so freely that they walked right up to our Van. They even blocked the road.
My cubicle mate, the Cowgirl Cre, rides and owns a horse. I know why her horse pays attention to me, and I know why these horses were pushing up on our van: they thought we were gonna hook them up with some FOOD.


Once they figured out that we weren't, they got the heck on.


LOL.


This was a nice little quaint island. Very quiet. It is less than 7 square miles in size. The driver said there was hardly any crime, and you could even take a walk in the middle of the night without a problem, and that everyone knew everyone around there.

If I ever go back, I'll just get dropped off downtown. I'd like to go to the museum, and roam around downtown. I would also like to visit the neighboring island, Salt Cay, which has a population of 80 people and is less that 3 square miles in size.

Both places would be GREAT writing retreats... hmm...

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh great pics! I wanna go! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics, I had no idea that island was so small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geesh, it looks soooo peaceful. The water and palm trees just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!