Tuesday, July 05, 2011

4th of July Food fest (Bootleg Oldgirl Style)

I didn't think I was going to have a festive 4th of July.

I mean, I've seen fireworks ten or twenty times, and the bright explosions in the sky quickly lose their luster.

I was content to lay up on my sofa, put my feet up and... relax.

Until my sister texted me.

"I was going to come over."

My reply: "If u want to. Ain't doing nothing...

So she came over, some 15 minutes later (Goodness gracious that girl drives fast from Peachtree City to Downtown ATL).

There were no plans, she was just coming over, getting out of her apartment. It was around three thirty in the afternoon or so. I'd talk to her earlier that morning, and I wish that she would've told me she was coming over. That way, I would've had some 4th of July food ready for her.

But I think she just needed to get out. And I am cool with that!

She came over and we decided to go find something to eat. I've been talking about Chow Baby, and thought that was a good place to go.

Unfortunately it was closed. So, we drove around looking for something to eat, and most places were closed. So we ended up waaaaay over by Lenox mall at The Container Store. I know we spent a good hour in there looking at things. I even found some shelves I want to buy in the future. So it was a good time.

So we came home.

"Kentucky, you want me to cook a little something?"

I didn't know if she was sticking around or not. I hoped that she would. The fellows were starting to get crunk with the fireworks, so I could understand why she may want to get the heck out of dodge.

Sooooo I commenced to throwing a little something together... Let the virtual bootleg unplanned cookout begin:

Let's see, we had some field peas and collard greens and sliced tomaters!

I added a little tropical flare to our event! Plantains!


Come closer, boys and girls. Come closer and look at the field peas... just a little closer.


The libations were also of the bootleg variety. I like to drink O'Douls nonalcoholic beer. I found some sodas stuck off in the back of my adult beverage cabinet. (I didn't tell her the sodas had to be at least 3 years old, though.)



Here you can see some meat! Kentucky likes chicken so I fried a few pieces. And I found 4 ribs and some baked chicken in the fridge. There's a small piece of cornbread too!



I made sure I packed whatever she didn't eat in a nice size tupperware. Take the meat with you. Please and thank you.


An Oldgirl knows how to look in the fridge and freezer and pull a quick meal together.

Yes Sir!


And this meal was made EXTRA special by some extra special relish I received as gift from an extra extra special reader.




Hmmmm...

Lee standing at kitchen island tasting relish and doing the ((happy dance))... to be continued...

4 comments:

  1. ROFLOL! I know alllllllllll about that throwing a meal together lol.

    So glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did a good job of throwing that meal together too! Ladylee got all kinds of skilz..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, those field peas look good.

    My idea of throwing a meal together are hot dogs with chips on the side. lol

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!