Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Farmers Market Adventures, Part 2

I really love Farmers Markets.

And the one in my neighborhood ended in mid December.

*heavy wails of sorrow*

Anyway, it was good while it lasted. And I think it picks back up again in the spring.

But I saw some... interesting things. And you know me, I like to try new things.

My favorite was the multicolored carrots.



Those were GREAT because they had just been pulled out the ground.

I roasted those with a little butter and cinnamon. And that was good for me, because I don't like roasted root vegetables.


But this worked out!

So...

I was walking through our local farmers market, perusing the fruits and vegetables, and taking pictures. I was drawn to a table full of greens and beautiful broccoli.

I was a bit... confused (yes, that's a good word), by the light green-looking vegetable on the left-hand side of the photo.

I stepped a little closer to the table.


I was still confused. I peered a little closer.


Then I stepped back.

What the world?

"What is that?" I asked the guy behind the table.

"An austrailian cauliflower," he said.

I said nothing. That didn't look like no cauliflower I ever seent.

It looked like some alien spawn. Or something off the bottom of the ocean.

"It's seven dollars."

I wasn't paying seven dollars for... alien spawn or ocean fodder.

I walked away.

You know... I don't even like cauliflower. And that one?  Well, it looked suspect.

I like trying new things, but for me to try that, I'd have to try that at a restaurant.

And YOU would have to order it. And let me taste a little of it off of YOUR plate.

Otherwise, I think I will pass on that.

I looked that vegetable up. It's actually a roman cauliflower. It is rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, fiber and cartenoids. 

And it is highly mathematical. It is a logarithmic fractal... whatever that means.

(I am more interested in that, since I am a scientist. *ladylee cheesing extra hard*)

Still looks like some alien spawn.

Or something found in the bottom of the ocean.

So now you know what it is. I'll let you all try that out..

Me? I'll stick with my carrots.

4 comments:

  1. It looked like some alien spawn.

    Hilarious. It kind of looked like a large bacteria growth or something to me.

    Every now and then I will visit the farmer's market and grab me a few green tomatoes or field peas or corn on the cob and the cooked taste of fresh vegetables is always good to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee,I'd be scared to try that!Looks like something that belongs in my fish tank!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With each closer pic, I leaned further back from my screen. That thing looks like it'll move if you touch it. Nah, I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:31:00 AM

    I love farmers markets. In fact, i love the face that i live near a lot of local farms and give them my money for as long as they're in season. one year, i had a butternut squash that sat on my counter for over a month just looking all pretty and sexy with it's curvy shape and it outlasted anything i could've ever bought in a grocery store.

    i'm going to Philly this weekend to see what fresh produce i can find since many of the stalls are fun by the Amish and you know they're rather particular about their produce.

    oh, regarding the 'alien spawn', i'd eat it!

    forgive the use of all lowercaps; it's freedom friday and i'm reserving the right not to use proper case today ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!