Monday, January 07, 2013

Happy Monday Afternoon Randoms

I meant to post this morning.

Uh... didn't work out that way. Oh well! How swell!

Happy Monday Afternoon!

All is well in the ATL. It is actually nice outside. It's been all rainy for the past two weeks. Ugh.

Well, it was nice out on Saturday and Sunday. An Oldgirl didn't leave the house, though.

I've been trying to get over this funky cold. I am no longer hacking and my lungs are not rattling. Thank goodness. It feels good to be able to breathe freely.

I attribute getting over the hump to my dandelion!


My coworker Lieutennant By has been giving the side-eye over this. He thinks I am eating flowers and the parts that you blow into the wind (You remember doing that as a kid?). Uh no. Just the leaves. I juice those up. I wish I would've had some when my cold first started. It is a very good natural expectorant. Get that mucus out quickly. Please and thank you.

They are awfully bitter. I try to eat them in salads, but the taste is too sharp. I rather just juice them. I have to temper it out with some pineapple or carrots. Even tried pears. That works out pretty well.

I spent the weekend doing chores and reading. Singlema texted me last week about a book she was reading titled Sugar Blues.


I ordered it on Thursday, and got it on Saturday.  As you can see, The Original Oldcat Oscar-Tyrone is NOT interested. Not in the least.

It is an old book, but it is a very good historical read concerning sugar and our societal addiction to it. Very good information, as I have seen or read a little here and there about sugar, and I am trying to cut a lot of the sugar and refined processed foods out of my diet. She did a good review of the book over on her blog. Go check it out!

I haven't completely given up meat, but I have cut it out some 95%. It sure has done wonders to help with my lupus. But the whole refined and processed foods, cutting that down? Man, that is a whole nother story. This book helped me realized that. I think I will do even better if I could bust the sugar and refined process foods intake waaaaaay down. Much better. 

And I lean in that direction anyway. People who know me well will tell you (as they are always telling me), that I am not particularly a sweets person.

I am also working on the cutting out the dairy, too. I don't eat a lot of dairy. I don't drink milk, as I prefer almond or rice milk. I have a gallon of blue bell vanilla icecream in my freezer that I bought for Christmas. That will last until March. That is how long it takes me to go through ice cream. But I don't think I will buy anymore after that. I have learned to make my own sorbets and cashew ice creams. I can buy that too, if I really want it. So I am looking to decrease all of that as the year moves along.

I am hoping for a productive work week. The last two weeks have been O_o. I have good days, and I have bad days.

The biggest thing is not to let the bad days weigh on my mind.

Today is a new day, and it is a good day. That is all.

And that's how I will look at it... on purpose.

7 comments:

  1. You are waaay more random than I am today....lol! I went to bed last night with my mind going like an oscillating fan on high. I thought I'd wake up and ready get a random list out, but it didn't happen. I wrote something else instead, so I guess that's what I must've really wanted to talk about.

    Anyway, I appreciate the knowledge on Dandelion leaves; I'll have to get and try some in my juice. Lord knows my body is in dire need to cleansing and I'll use anything to help. In addition, I want to ward off any chance of picking up cooties from these bio-hazards known as small children.

    Last night, the Mister and I stopped for a bite after the movies and decided on an appetizer platter...BAD idea! The greasy, processed food; though initially tasty, left us both toxically gassy, bloated, and a case of the bowels that could've been used as a weight loss tool. No more of that!

    That's my two cents in the bucket, which now seems more like $2...hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your 2 cents! Always appreciated!!

      Yeah, look up Dandelion juice. here is a link i came across... http://thejuicenut.com/dandelion_juice_the_juice_nut.aspx.

      Interesting how good this weed is for you. And it is dirt cheap. I would grow some in my yard if it wouldn't take over my whole yard, lol.

      Oh my, Blu... where on earth did you eat? I gotta make sure I don't go there. Ya'll sound like ya'll were on the very edge of food poisoning!

      Delete
  2. It was kinda cold here in Charleston today, but it's going to consistently be in the 70s later this week.

    I'm currently reading Manhunt: The twelve day hunt for Lincoln's killer, it's really good. The entire book takes place over about a two week period, it's kinda like an old school 24.

    ReplyDelete
  3. blessings....
    glad you are on the mend. thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind.

    stay blessed.
    peace.
    Rhapsody
    http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/p/guestbook.html
    https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
    http://www.shelfari.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try some dandelion as my next "new food." Hopefully, I can find some at my health food market.

    I'm still laughing when I said to you "I thought that was a flower!" I appreciate you not calling me a big dummy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm scared to read this sugar book. I like sugar. And lots of it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:46:00 AM

    I need to get that sugar book, i'm a sugar addict to the 10th power. I actually make store runs just to buy candy. Its really bad! Mary

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!