Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Laugh

I was born on the very cusp of the Great Depression, on Valentine’s Day, a day set apart for the giving and showing of love.

And I remember as a little girl, my Daddy looking into my face and saying “Sweetie, there’s no school today.”

And I was sad because I loved school. I loved wrapping my three schoolbooks in a leather belt fastened tight with a rusted buckle and skipping off to school.

But I didn’t quite remember why he said that. I just remembered staring into the face of a man whose face mirrored mine – white, fair-skinned, with concentrated splotches of freckles.

I understood later that times were hard and with Momma dead and gone, Daddy could barely afford to feed us eight kids, much less send us off to school. We all had to work, and pick vegetables from the ground alongside the Negroes.

I met the best negroes out in those fields.  They were real people just like me.  One little negro girl, who had become my best friend for the next seventy-two years, told me “I like the way you wrinkle your nose when you laugh!”

My friend, my dear friend...  she passed last week. And I just got home from her funeral. My eyes were still moist and wet with tears. I cried so much that there were no more tears left.

But I remember my friend. And what she said the first day we met.

And to this very day, nearing the ripe old age of eighty, standing at a mere 5’4” tall, and at a healthy 175 pounds, I know how to make myself happy during bad times. I know where my joy is:

I stand and look in the mirror.

And I laugh.




from my Women of Color Writing Workshop, December 28, 2012.  7 minute writing exercise...
Writing prompts: use the following in a story.

Age: 80 years old
Height, weight: 5'4", 175 lbs
Day: Valentines day
Looks: white, fair-skinned, with concentrated splotches of freckles

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:27:00 AM

    That was a touching piece young lady! I enjoyed that. I wonder what I'd come up with in 7 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try and see. You have the writing prompt directions.

    I LOVE short flash fiction. I could do little prompts like that alllll day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was another GREAT one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you leaving a comment? You sit 3 feet away from me in our cubicle. O_o

      Delete
  4. Cashana2:48:00 PM

    What a wonderful short story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmmmm.............your story is two-fold why because the terms "negroes" takes you right into another time and place that speak volumes without saying much.

    nice....
    keep it flowing.
    Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  6. delurking to say...I love your writing. Did you really write that in 7 minutes? I looked out on Amazon for Biscuit Blues and Jawbreaker but I didn't see either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, 7 minutes. That was a "notecard" writing prompt, i.e., a notecard was passed around and everyone had to write a different piece of information on it. So by the time it gets back to you, it has this list of weird items that make you go "What the world??"

    LOL

    My titles aren't available yet. Just got the covers together and wanted to place them up on the wallls of the House of LadyLee... so I can see them everyday and stay motivated!

    Coming soon, though. i will definitely have some excerpts up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rhapsody... Honey, I did NOT want to write about an 80 year old woman. My mind went BONKERS for a few seconds on that one. I did manage to get a lot of age reference info into the story. I may work on it a little more.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!