Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Freestyles...The Hush Puppy and Price Edition

Friday!!!

And the only thing that would make it better would be if it was a PAYDAY!!!

Alas... it is not.

I think to myself quite often: I wish I could make what I make every week instead of every two weeks.

If I did, I would be sitting on some Carribean island right now...

Because this ATL weather, well...

It sucks.

The temperature is all over the place. Hot. Cold. I got off work and it was rainy.

The little bitty stinging rain.

I am confused. I need steady temperatures.

(High class problem).

Movie of the Week. Anyway, I saw a fantastic movie this week!

Beast of the Southern Wild

My interest was peaked because I had been hearing Oscar Buzz this week. Most notably for the young lead actress Quvenzhane Wallis.

It's the story of a little girl named "Hush Puppy". She lives in a community affectionately known as "The Bathtub". It is the story of how her and and her father, who's raising her alone, deal after a bad storm/hurricane hits and floods out there community.

That is not a good synopsis. Go elsewhere if you want eloquence.

It's a very unique film, narrated by Hushpuppy.  Interesting!

So I thought, let me see what this little sister is about. Let me rent it on my kindle.

Man! THAT was s GOOD movie. WOW. Wish I could've seen it on the big screen!

That young lady did a great job.
Now that hair right there? That's some real natural hair. No special oils and creams. No Miss Jessie's available, honey. None.

The folks in that film were the most impoverished folks I had ever seen in a movie.



I knew Hushpuppy and her daddy Wink were... interesting when I saw the "square boat" they were flossing.

Yeah, the bed of a pick up truck. Took me a minute to figure out that one. You do what you gotta do, man. We gotta fish... the best way we can.

Quvenzhane cleans up well. I didn't recognize her! Whoever did the film makeup and costumes is the bomb.  And she's already won a few awards for her role.

Now if this 9 year old wins the Oscar for best actress? I'm taking the day off.

We have overcome... for real.

But if you haven't seen that movie, rent it. VERY good. My coworker watched some of it. We've been talking about it.

I been running around hollering a line from the movie... "My name is Hush Puppy and I live with my Daddy in the Bathtub!!"

LOL

Song of the Week. Some Kelly Price!



Old Kelly Price, that is. That song has to be 15 years old. I've never heard it before. I like it for the SCREAMING chorus.

I was sitting in my cubicle and listening to this. I snatched off my headphones and told my cubicle mate The CowgirlCre, "You know, I do believe Kelly Price has a good 10 songs about her GOOD friends stealing her men."

CowgirlCre thought that was funny.

"I wanna ask her 'What kinda friends you got, Kelly? Them not your friends! Stop calling them that, honey!!"

CowgirlCre laughed harder.

This song looks to be the original song for one of those remixes with Mr. Bigg and R. Kelly.

Still... I know she got a bunch of songs about her man being stolen by her friends.

Get some new friends, Kelly!!

Shoot. Some ratchetness, I tell you. But good songs!

What do you have planned for weekend?

Me? Not much. Flying by the seat of my pants.

It's suppose to be a nice weekend. I need to go on a yarn run. I may go to a movie. Haven't decided yet.

We will see.

All I know... I'm going to make it a great weekend.

On Purpose!!!!

3 comments:

  1. you crack me up so much! I've been wanting to see that movie so now I'm really motivated to see it....todays my birthday so I'm going to make this a good day\weekend no matter what!have a great weekend as well! Can't believe you had never heard that Kelly Price song before....she do need some new friends though! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, Ma !!! *throws glitter* Enjoy your day!

      Man, that movie was GREAT. It is up for best picture Oscar, too! I was watching it on my kindle at work while reading reports (don't tell nobody that). And was bawling out of control at that end. That was a great movie. Wish I would've seent it on the big screen!

      Man. Kelly Price. I hope she ain't singing from experience. If so, she need some new friends. Good grief.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:25:00 PM

    "That's some real natural hair right there" lol that made me smile....my hair looks like that after a long day lol. Great movie

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!