Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ain't nothing Like a man who can COOK!

One thing I will always love:

One thing I know for sure...

T'ain't nothing like a man that can COOK!!

A few weeks ago, my work computer crashed.

(I know this may seem like a hard left turn in topic, but just bare with me...)

The IT chick showed up and said she didn't have time to get to it. She and I walked down to the IT room and she assigned me a bootleg laptop computer. I joked with the other IT chick, asking, as I have done for years and years, if my new fancy computer with television capabilities had come in yet. I clutched my mini-laptop in my arms and headed back upstairs to my desk.

I was not happy with this. I wanted my computer. So, I locked up the laptop and went and sat at the empty computer next to Hen-Dog. His cubicle mate was out of town for the week on training.

It was peaceful, sitting next to that dude. Made me realize that me and my cubicle Cowgirl Cre are typical womens (we yack, yack, YACK.) Hen-Dog was pretty quiet. (Maybe he wasn't, since I usually have my earphones on while I do paperwork).

There was no tapping on the shoulder, shaking of chairs to get one's attention, none of that... Although Cowgirl Cre did clock me in the head a couple of time with expertly hurled pieces of peppermint candy to get my attention. (I'ma get you back for that, Cre).

But one day, while tirelessly crunching data, I noticed MUCH commotion all about me in my peripheral vision. I wouldn't have really noticed this from my normal cubicle. I was in the middle of the cubicle spaces instead of at the back (where I like to be).

People were getting up, rushing to the cabinet where we keep our spare plastic dinnerware and plates.

Then I smelled cinnamon...

I turned around, and one of my favorite chemists, "T-Luv", was standing in the midst of us with a loaf of fresh cinnamon raisin bread.



"What's that, boy?" I asked.
"Some bread I made!"

I thought he was lying. I thought his wife had made it. But that probably wasn't the case. He had it in one of those resealable plastic bags. A woman would've placed it on a beautiful plate and included a real butter knife for cutting. LOL

He and Hen-Dog exchanged a few words. Turns out Hen had had some before, and requested a loaf.

Now, even though it smelled good, I was still suspect. I grabbed the bag containing the loaf (after people had cut off their peices) and held it in my hand.

It was heavy. It was REAL bread.

Now, I was not hungry, as I had just eaten lunch, but I decided to cut a sliver and test the product. It melted in my mouth. It was the best cinnamon raisin nut bread I'd ever tasted.

"That is good, T-Luv. I can taste the ginger and the nutneg all up in that, boy."

Dr. Sunshine, one of my fellow docs, had come out from around the corner with her plate. "I heated mines up, girl!"

"I don't need no heat," I said.

I squinted hard at T-Luv. I took another bite. "You sure you made this? Or did your wife make it?"

"Yeah, I made this." He frowned. He stomped the ground hard with his Air Jordan clad feet. "I put my feet into it."

He made a move with his elbow like he had an imaginary person in a headlock, and stomped the floor a couple more times. "I put my elbow in that bread, Sweetie!"

*LadyLee steps back and braces herself, as she recognizes T-Luv is getting a bit too excited*

I decided to believe him. He was passionate about that bread.

And, he's always the man in control of the Egg station during the holiday brunches we have downstairs in the conference room every Christmas. He does scramble eggs PERFECTLY.

Hmmm...

Made me appreciate him more...

Cuz t'ain't nothing like a man that can cook.

Made me reminescene on my men in the past who could cook. Most could barely cook something remotely basic, and they even needed work on those things. The ex-hubby could cook very well, but it took him a LONG time. Dinner would be ready at 10 or 11 o'clock at night. That was much too late to eat, but I ate (didn't want to offend him, you know.)

Anyway, the loaf of bread stayed in our cubicle area all day, in the middle section between me and Hen-Dog. No, I didn't have any more. But I would hear the plastic rustled every once in a while.




(Hen was not as quiet as I thought he was. LOL.)

Now, if I could only locate a man who can crochet.




Cuz t'ain't nothing like a man who can crochet.

*Lee cheesing REALLY REALLY hard*

To be continued sometime soon.

12 comments:

  1. *pimp-slapping the crickets outta mah way*

    my mouth was watering as i read this entry. i loves me some bread! it's especially tasty when a man has baked it.

    my ex was like your ex. he'd cook, but it'd take him HOURS. and i'm talking like HOURS to do hamburger helper. okay, so perhaps my ex wasn't the gourmet chef, but he fed a sista every blue moon (or every OTHER blue moon).

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is what i am talking about mami

    a man that can cook

    cause my black tail dont want to do it

    i know how to cook,can cook very good, but i hate

    my husband betta know how to cook,lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Ain't nothing like a man who can cook! Cause we men who won't starve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:29:00 PM

    That bread does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A woman would've placed it on a beautiful plate and included a real butter knife for cutting"

    You are not lying about that...I've never met a man that could cook...or lets say he never cooked for me if he did know how.... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I'm talking about! I've been very fortunate in that department. All of my serious interests were mystros in the kitchen. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I need to heat mine up with a slab of butter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'd be surprised at how many single and married men can cook. Hey, fast food gets old and fine dining is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GIRL!!!! I didn't even read the post yet...the title alone had me saying, "Girl you aint never lied!" Going back to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GAWD that made me hongry!

    LMAO @ this caveman/woman comment..."I don't need no heat,"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ATLien Nikki... Girl, I grilled T-Luv about that bread. It was made from scratch, as it was REAL heavy and dense! In a good way!

    What's up with the length of time some men like to take to cook a good meal. I can pull together a meal from start to finish in 30 minutes flat. Took my man 4 to 5 hours. Goodness!

    @Dreamy... LOL!!

    @2nd 68... Dude, can you cook? Post some recipes!

    @That southern black gal... It was good. And I had a little sliver. I was wishing that I'd gotten a good hunk of it to eat later at home. Sigh.

    @A Go Bytch... I tell you, it is nice to have once you get it. Could almost get spoiled rotten by a man who can cook, lol.

    @Kayla... Of course your serious love interests could cook. Heck, with all that off the chain poetic verse you hollering, you gets master chefs with that! LOL!!!

    @Believer64... Yeah, you would've been one of the sisters heading to the microwave, just like Dr. Sunshine. LOL!! Give it to me cold! I was just trying to test it out!! It was good cold, so I know it had to be the BOMB if heated and hit with some butter!

    @Terry... probably true, but ya'll be holding out on us! Making US cook! HUMPH!

    @Opinionated Diva... Well it made me hungry just writing about it. And the test of good bread is to eat it with NO heat. Plus, the microwave was too far away. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah...it's a must that I snag a dude who can cook cuz you won't find me noooooooooooooooooowhere near a kitchen [unless of course, I'm going to refill my plate] LOL

    Mmmmmm @ the thought of that cinnamon raisin bread.

    Lawd knows I don't need NO MO' midnite snacks *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!