Wednesday, July 23, 2008

State of the Garden, Part II

So...

I haven't talked about the garden since I posted about it back on May 2nd, when it looked like this:





Why is that? Because I haven't been all that excited about the garden.

1. It is hot outside.

2. The mosquitos smile big and wide when they see me coming. I think I have what the ol' folks call "Sweet Blood". Mosquitoes like that. HUMPH.

3. I work 10, sometimes 12 hours a day. When I get home, I ain't thinking about going outside doing ANYTHING! I'm trying to get in the house, in the cool, cool air, and RELAX.

4. It is HOT outside!!!

But, one of the neighborhood crackheads locals, Mr. Thomas (seen in the photo, threatening me with a rake,*crickets*), knocked on my door one Saturday afternoon. Usually I don't open the door, and they know this. But I think he caught me coming into the house or something.

"What you want man?"
"Gimme 2 dollars, girl."
"Man, what did I tell you? I don't have cash on me." I have TRIED to explain the whole debit card phenomena to him numerous time, but he just gives me the *blank stare*. He don't seem to understand.
"I know you got some money around here somewhere!"

We argue back and forth.
Then he says...

"I was in your backyard. I see you got some good ol' beans out there!"
"No I don't."
"Yes you do."
"No I don't."
Yes you do, ol silly girl!!"
"I was just out there a couple of days ago. There were a bunch of flowers, but that's it."
"Well, you got beans, girl!!"

We walk around to the backyard, and lo and behold, I did have beans!


So, that next day, I picked them. Along with some random peppers.


This is my first harvest. HOOORAAAY. (Naw, I ain't that excited).

There were not many beans. That's alright. I HATE SNAPPING BEANS. So I washed them and snapped them.




Now, I usually cook my beans with smoked chicken and potatoes, but I was too lazy to run out to Decatur and get my smoked chicken. So, I know my baby blog sista Serenity 3-0 is a bean fiend, and cooks them with sausage and potatoes.

We had a convo about it over our daily email thread.

"S, how do you do your beans with the sausage and potatoes?"
"I just cut up my potatoes and sausage and cook them with the beans."
"What kind of sausage?"
"Beef."
"What kind of potatoes?"
"Regular potatoes."
"I know, but do you use the red small potatoes, the Idaho, the russet?"
"I don't know LadyLee, they are white."
"Well, what are the amounts that you use?"


She snapped on me after that, and I didn't ask anymore questions. She should know by now that I am inquisitive and I ask a BUNCH of questions. Baby sisters can be real bitches mean girls at times. After that, I wrote back, questioning if it was her time of the month or something. HUMPH.

I decided to bootleg it, and hope it worked out.

But here's the result:


It look good, don't it?

It WAS good!

Get a little closer!!



Yeah... that's what's hot right there. I got a little to crazy with the black pepper, but it was alllll good.

Bootleg recipe for "Serenity Beans":

3 cups of beans, snapped
1.5 cups of potatoes (use more or less if you like)
1 cup of cut of sausage
1 small onion, sliced.
3 cups of water
salt and pepper to taste


Boil the sausage and onion in water for a little while. Add the beans and potatoes and boil a little while. Add more water if necessary. Stir it up. Watch it so it will not burn!!

Yeah, I'm vague. And you know what? YOU are grown. Work it out from there.

LOL!!!

Now, all of this went down last week... Time to harvest MORE beans and peppers.

Yesterday, my coworker, ol' Mean Ass Cynthia asked if her baby Chayse could come pick some beans. Chayse planted peppers in the garden back on Memorial Day. She was a great little worker!

*LadyLee smiling real hard*

I said "Sure, of course she can come over. Anytime!!"

You know, there ain't nothing in the world like a little slave child labor.

Nothing like it.

LOL!!!

10 comments:

  1. I can't belive you called me a BYTCH! And that recipe is not close to mine:P I sautee the sausage before throwing it in. And I dice it. Also, I want some green beans now.. They look good. And folks should be able to cook without measurements and recipes.. And I'm still ticked about being called out of my name! See how many plates you get at the housewarming:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Serenity...

    Let me tell you something. YOU ARE BEING A BEE-YOTCH. You know that I am borderline ADD. I need EXACT instructions, broad. Don't run up in here talking about some dicing and sauteeing AFTER the fact!! Next time write everything down as you do it!!

    HUMPH.

    Matter of fact, why don't you make some for your housewarming? I would really like that.

    (You are such a chickenhead!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:30:00 PM

    Those beans look good. You got me wanting some. I've never feened for some green beans tillnow. I'm going to try your bootleg recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Southern Black Gal...

    Good grief, Southern Black Gal, you don't like NOTHING, do you?

    No green beans, no shrimps, no Old school music.

    What is your problem, man?

    You must be a Martian or something.

    LOL!

    But try those beans. They were VERY good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:02:00 PM

    Congratulations on your beans!! I can't wait until I am able to start a garden up someday. I used to plant vegetables all the time with my grandmother when I was young. There is nothing like going outside to pick your own veggies from your own garden. And the recipe came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes. Chayse the Pretty, garden slave, returneth! I was wondering when she would show up again!

    Them beans and such shole looked good to my hungryness! And the pepper was just right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that looks good, Lee! And I see you got your little helper back with you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhhh my goodness Ladylee, my mom used to cook that same meal for us and it used to be rolling


    it looks so good, and i see that you made a lot, yum

    you need to ship some to me and 68

    j/j

    the crack head needs to go, and he sure is nosy

    alright now dont want you to come home and that man then sold all your vegetable for 2$, get his azz in check and tell him to get to stepping

    awwwwh and look at lil cutie, with all those plaits. she is just adorable, and stop slaving that poor baby,lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. she is the cutest little helper ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That bean recipe looks real good.

    Boiling sausage separately will thoroughly cook it and get rid of some of that excess grease. Then I'd sauté it with cooked potatoes for crispiness. The beans would be an afterthought. ;)

    Like the garden!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!