Thursday, December 09, 2010

Notes on Agitation, Part II

Continued from Agitation, Part I

The issue now is : work, work, work on your Peace.

A good definition of peace: security in the midst of turmoil.

"You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair."

We will always have issues. Our issues don't have to have us. Problems arise. But when they do, go to your manual, the Word, and see what is said about your issue. Grab hold of that. And make up in your mind to believe that.

Life is too short to rent space in your mind to people and situations that agitate you.

Your purpose in life is too important to be derailed by worry and agitation.

If you can't conquer what's going on in your mind, then you can't conquer what's agitating you.

Additional scriptures (concerning worry):

Matthew 6:25-33

25Therefore I tell you, stop being [v]perpetually uneasy (anxious and worried) about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink; or about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life greater [in quality] than food, and the body [far above and more excellent] than clothing?
26Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father keeps feeding them. Are you not worth much more than they?
27And who of you by worrying and being anxious can add one unit of measure (cubit) to his stature or to the [w]span of his life?(B)
28And why should you be anxious about clothes? Consider the lilies of the field and [x]learn thoroughly how they grow; they neither toil nor spin.
29Yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his [y]magnificence (excellence, dignity, and grace) was not arrayed like one of these. [I Kings 10:4-7.]
30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and green and tomorrow is tossed into the furnace, will He not much more surely clothe you, O you of little faith?
31Therefore do not worry and be anxious, saying, What are we going to have to eat? or, What are we going to have to drink? or, What are we going to have to wear?
32For the Gentiles (heathen) wish for and crave and diligently seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows well that you need them all.
33But seek ([z]aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness ([aa]His way of doing and being right), and then all these things [ab]taken together will be given you besides.

Proverbs 12:25 Anxiety in a man's heart weighs it down, but an encouraging word makes it glad.

Phillipians 4:6-7 Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks. Then God’s peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.

When you're worried or find yourself in a state of agitation, pray about it. Your antedote, as seen in the aforementioned scripture, is to be sure to operate in a state of thanksgiving. We all have a past, where God has answered prayers, seen us through, etc. Be diligent about remembering this and giving thanks continuously for this. This is your antedote to worry.

As a result, God's peace is given. That's what we are after.

This is a lot of information.

"Easier said than done, Pastor."

To which the pastor responds, "Whatever."

This is about getting developed in your peace.

Development in any area begins with starting SOMEWHERE. Development does not happen automatically. It takes conscious effort.

Make an effort to move towards perfection. Perfection is not about being flawless, but it is about being fully committed to continuous growth, evolvement, and change.

Know that when we develop in peace, we clear up the noise and static in our spirts, so that we can hear from God.

Okay, that's it for my notes. I think part II was a little more all over the place here, as I was trying to decipher my handwriting and bring it all together. But I think you get the picture.

I think what I got out of this overall is... I have to work on my thought life, and what's going on in my head, by renewing my mind to what the Word says, and allowing that to be my final authority on life issues, especially when it comes to fear, agitation and worry.

There's a LOT of info. Not just in the sermon, but there is so much that can be gleaned from the scriptures given. There is explicit instruction on what to do when the issues of life threaten to agitate you, have you emotionally disturbed: get involved with what the Word has to say, get in agreement with it, clear up your areas of unbelief, and basically rely on God. Period.

So, tomorrow, I will give my own personal thoughts (well more of it) on this, and how it applies to my life.

5 comments:

  1. Wow....I just can't get over how much I needed to read this today.
    Great post Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgiving is so helpful to me.. And I try to continually remind Tyler of his blessings. That's also why I keep prayer journals from years prior. Bc i can go thru and see that something was bothering me then but it ain't even on my radar today.. Sometimes we think things are so bad and so extreme and then two months later we have already forgotten about it. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "25Therefore I tell you, stop being [v]perpetually uneasy (anxious and worried) about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink; or about your body, what you shall put on"

    This is me all day long. It's funny because when I start thinking about what I'm going to cook for dinner at 11am, I think to myself why am I so worried about dinner. And let's not talk about what I'm going to put on. I sometimes change outfits like I change my mind and that's often!

    I need to work on allowing what the Word says being my final authority too. Sometimes I struggle with letting it go after praying about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! I will have to copy and paste this. I printed out the notes on agitation, depression and something else. They were all about 5 pages, so I am not finished reading them.

    Thanks for the notes. I will be journaling my butt off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee, you know you have a bad azz(in good way) mind. How you remembered old posts and shared the link. Wow!

    I am enjoying these notes, even if some points are painful. The way things are going at work and with a relative, I needed this.

    Thanks again. I cannot wait to see your personal take on this.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!