Friday, August 22, 2008

Wholeness Anyone?

A blog I tend to lurk around on these days is "A Go Bytch"

Bytch stands for Because You Thought Being Classy was Hard.

Well alrighty then!!

LOL! That is one helluva acronym right there!

Anyway, I really like her blog. It is very eclectic, honest, and I can always pick up a nice recipe or two!

She had a very good post entitled 8 hours plus the Weekend, about how even though we have time off, we spend that time doing for others (employers, friends, family) and putting our ownselves on the backburner. She talked about not having any hobbies, and wanting to get out and do some other things seperate from her friends.

I've been guilty of this my ownself a time or two. Especially in my younger years.

But her post made me think.

And I left my thoughts in the following comment:

You REALLY need to get a few hobbies... REALLY. I didn't crank up my hobbies until I was married, was unhappy and terribly lonely and needed something to do. I wish that I would've deemed that important earlier in my life, but when we are young (as you are now), we are so caught up in the rat race, trying to jumpstart careers, and in pleasing everyone else, that truly enjoying OURSELVES is a mere afterthought. We don't even realize until later in life that this a part of LOVING ourselves, the gist of which is obtaining something we all desire- a sense of wholeness.

Let's see, with my 8 hours plus the weekend, I tend to lean towards very quiet, therapeutic activities. I love to crochet, read, and write. My aunt is an amazing artist, and has taught me to paint with oils. I also like to draw.

I told my younger siblings some time ago that it is VERY important that, at least once per month, they should go and get involved in some activity that doesn't involve friends or family - just some valuable ME time doing something they really enjoy doing. This would give them some peace of mind, as it can be a time when they aren't accountable to anyone but themselves. (For example, my brother collects medieval swords, and he would go off every once in awhile scavenging flea markets alone).

One thing I know, many of the white folks I know got this down pact. I take writing classes at a local fine arts center. This place offers about 50 different reasonably priced classes, but I rarely see any of "us" (black folk) there. It is "us" that feel awkward about really getting out here and enjoying life.

So make it a point to do such. You'd really
be glad you did!

I don't know, I just felt like that was important enough to share over here in the House of LadyLee. I tend to blog out of control in other comment sections, as is the case here.

One thing that struck me when I re-read that is how I felt when I was married. I think every marriage goes through its issues, and we are suppose to work through them, but that is one huge reason why I got divorced.

I was lonely.

And I found out later, that he was too...

He worked at night, I worked during the day, and on top of us just not getting along - well, stuff happens.

Who ever thought that you could be lonely and living with someone? I never thought such. Never thought much about that all. Granted, I was preoccupied with career and such. I had plenty of friends and family to lean on.

But, my goodness, these things do happen. A friend was expressing such to me a few months ago.
All I could say was:

"I hope ya'll work that out."

Hmmm... What do you say when someone expresses their loneliness?

I say, you better have a few hobbies or something, even before you tie the knot. You better know how to enjoy YOU.

Not even hobbies, really... You better be a whole person, and not looking to someone else to make you whole.

Now, there's a thin line between someone completing you, and you just straight up saying "if I could just get this man (or woman), life will be alright."

There's a difference. Big difference. And you should see it in that sentence.

I wish I would have worked on my "wholeness" when I was much younger. It is so important to be a "whole" person: a person who is sound in their body, soul, and spirit.

There are a load of definitions of wholeness. Yours may be different from mine, and that is cool.

Don't matter...

All I gotta say, whatever you do, work on becoming "Whole".

Be able to bring something to the table, instead of depending on someone to bring the table to you.

2nd 68 came up with a strange term that I just LOVE, and I will use it here...

An "Enjoy Today" Day.

Go and have yourself an "Enjoy Today" day. Go somewhere and enjoy yourself today.

And don't forget to Have a Good Weekend... on purpose.

I know I will.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:16:00 AM

    Excellent post chica. I could say so much more but that sums it up....excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ladylee, I do think that it is difficult to become whole. I think it's really a life-long project. It takes a lot to even admit that it is something you have to work on. Nothing is worse that confiding your problems and the person says "What! You seem so together!" The next person who says that to me is getting slapped. Oh, where was I.

    I went over to Go Bytch and left a comment. It is really hard to give time to yourself. I think a big part of it for black women is that we never saw our mothers take time for themselves and we have followed in thier weary footsteps.

    My publicst, Lauren. Now that girl knows how to take care of herself. She has been to TWO retreats in the mountains this summer!

    She blogs from up there, but not even that much. It's like she is too centered and too focused on herself to even bother with blogging!

    http://www.luxlotus.com/lux_lotus/2008/08/letter-from-the.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, being whole means being totally comfortable with who you are.

    I have to disagree with Tayari about it being hard to give time to yourself. My home was the rare one where my mother set a perfect example of how to do it. And, right or wrong, I followed the example. I'd addicted to taking care of me ... if I don't who will?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:31:00 AM

    I'm addicted to taking care of me. Chele said that. I feel like if I don't take care of me first, I won't be able to take care of someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:31:00 AM

    Being lonely when you're with someone can happen if both partners aren't dedicating genuine, quality, time together. Jill Scott has a song on her latest album called, "Lonely Whenever You're Around." Very, very deep song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Diva (in demand)...

    I myself had SO much more to say, but I am terribly busy AND working on not being so doggone longwinded... That post was twice as long, and I cut it down. But at least it got us thinking.

    Thanks for coming by my spot:)

    And check out my Bloggerversary post from last week... There are some good things said there about your hubby That Original Oldboy Hassan!

    @That Original Oldgirl Tayari aka "Miss Celie"

    "it's really a life-long project"

    Well, I agree with you there. One of my favorite sayings is "I'm under construction until the day I die." I'm always changing in some way, hopefully for the better, and hopefully towards being more at peace with myself. My goal now is getting to the point where I am QUICK to admit problems and QUICK to attack the issues...

    And I do imagine, with you being a celebrity (lol) it is hard to take time for yourself. You know, after the getting to know you, I saw BIG *crickets* when I realized you were... normal, lol.

    I, like you, rarely saw my Mama take much time for herself. It was a "rat race" mentality. And certain things take hold in us to some degree...

    Your publicist seems to be on the right track. "ME" time is important. VERY important.

    (And Tayari, I'm sending you Chele's Raymond's Daughters. It's gonna help you with what you're writing now. I ORDER YOU TO READ IT!, lol)

    @That Original Oldgirl Chele

    WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? HOW IS ONE OLDGIRL GOING TO DISAGREE WITH ANOTHER OLDGIRL?

    Just playing. You know that. LOL

    (by the way, got the book...THANKS)

    "...being whole means being totally comfortable with who you are.

    Man, I came up with so many definitions, but I think that THAT one right there encompasses all that I was looking for.

    Being COMFORTABLE with yourself...

    And you had the rare home, with the good example.

    You know what I had: My mother feeling miserable if she didnt' have a man. I think we have heard (and me and my siblings have continuously discussed this even now) our mother say that she felt like nothing and nobody unless she had a man. And when she had a man, it wreaked havoc in our lives, and her place in life was far worst than it was.

    Her wholeness was based on having a man or not. And still is.

    UGGH!! Well, it has shaped my thoughts and attitudes. I've concluded that my wholeness depends on ME, and ME being honest enough with myself to make the changes to move in that direction....

    I am glad that you are addicted to taking care of YOU. This is too important. But I think many of us just don't learn that until we've gotten a bit older and a bit tired of doing "superficial" things to fulfill our voids...

    @That Southern Black Gal...

    *2 snaps up*

    Yeah, take care of YOU.

    Let me ask you something: How old were you when you realized that?

    If you are not happy with you, how can you make someone else happy... that's my thing.

    @Kei...

    Hi Kei, thanks for joining us:)

    You know, I would've never believed such, until I was stuck smack dab in the middle of the situation. We loved each other, and we just grew apart. We were in a whole nother city, just us... and there REALLY needs to be 101% dedication to spending that time together and taking care of each other's needs... I ain't talking spending ALL of the spare time togehter (that would drive me NUTS, as I am a loner by nature), but that time together has to be worth it AND looked forward to...

    Okay, I said a mouthful... but you know what I mean.

    And thanks for stopping by my spot:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this post right here is truly hitting home. i was with an old friend this week, well actually my first love and for the first time in a long time i was able to see him as being whole. he spent so much of his life pursuing success and material possessions that he missed something along the way...i'm not sure what it was but it was something imperative to his development.

    being able to see him in this space now was a great reminder of the importance of shaping our lives into a whole thing that we care for on every level.

    i am single and have lived alone most of my adult life which has forced me out of my shell allot and made me find hobbies and activities just so that i wouldn't be caught waiting for someone else to make my life something that it wasn't.

    my current hobbies are photography and yoga..i plan to add tennis to the mix next and perhaps join a cycling club.

    Thanks Ladylee for putting this one out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post... but you have to have balance with WHATever you do. b/c i am guilty of shutting my poor husband OUT with all my hobbies. I'll look up and realize i haven't talked to him FA REAL b.c i've been in a "zone".

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:18:00 PM

    I realized that at the age of 27 when I had my son. The first day I brought him home and was alone with him, he started crying then I started crying. LOL We were crying togther. I realized then I needed to get myself together first before I could do right by him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good bit of stuff there!

    And I will have to comment more fully later. I seem to be multitasking like crazy right now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I see the baby sis has stolen my microphone again....

    Great post OG and of course I've a few things to add ;) I agree with so much that you have said here and in some ways, I feel I am an authority on much of what you present here. As you know, for the past 18 years my life for the most part has revolved around my son who left for college last week. Having never married his father (with whom he has had no relationship), I raised him alone. Because of this, I learned early on that even though my world was centered on my son, I had to take some time for me or things were never going to work. Thus, I've always been that woman who could separate herself and her needs out when necessary and spoil myself as much as I tried to spoil my son.

    Still, as his graduation from high school approached, I knew I HAD TO GO GET MYSELF A WHOLE LIFE because so much of my old life spun off of his life. So that is exactly what I did over the last 2 years as you well know. From writing/blogging and meeting and falling in love with bloggers from everywhere to going back to piano lessons and taking photography classes, I have been getting myself a life of my own. I've also been doing some dating. In short, I am a whole woman with a WHOLE life that I adore!

    In her book, "Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now", Maya Angelou speaks of taking an annual "walkabout" on her birthday every year during which she leaves her credit cards, ID, and any other identifying info at home and simply goes out alone without anything unnecessary and communes with herself. I love, love, love this idea and do a similar activity myself whenever the feeling hits me, sometimes taking a weekend to myself to check into a hotel alone and do whatever comes naturally to me.

    So after all this blogging in your comments, I'll just say what I should have said to begin with,

    YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

    P.S. Loneliness in the presence of someone you love is the absolute worst kind of loneliness....I wrote a poem about it awhile back...wanna hear it, here it go...


    ALWAYS ALONE

    Never thought I could miss you in your presence.
    I know now I can.
    With your arrival comes the painful anticipation of your departure.
    While in your company the loneliness of your inevitable absence is acute.
    When you’ve gone, the happy expectation of our next encounter swells inside me;
    even though it is in your presence that I feel the most alone.

    "Wo-MAN UP!" I tell myself, as your presence is what I crave.
    I only pray I can.
    "Live for the here and now and let the future handle itself", I advise me.
    "Live, laugh, and love my time with you," I tell me "and relish each second together".
    "Live each moment as if it were my last with you," I say, "without looking for tomorrows".
    Even though it is in your presence that I feel the most alone.

    So that’s just what I do, I celebrate being in your presence.
    I simply do what I can.
    I smile, laugh, chat, debate, and reach out and touch you often.
    I savor you, your intelligence, your energy, the raw masculinity of you.
    I convince myself that you are here to stay and in that moment I actually believe me.
    Even though it is in your presence that I feel the most alone.

    Can you make it go away?


    © Sharon J. All Rights Reserved 2008


    Once again, you've said the dayum thang OG!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post...thaanks for the shout out. Yes when I was married for the short time that I was...at the end yes...I was in a relationship and lonely...

    Hope you enjoyed your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being free and whole is my life long mission! Keeping it real and being open to the lessons to get there though.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!