Sunday, August 31, 2008

Blanket Watch - "The Serenity Special"

Alright, I know ya'll have been tired of me hemming and hawwing about my current crochet project - a chocolate and crimson red blanket for That Original Oldgirl Serenity 30, on the occasion of her official housewarming.

As you can see, I think she may be already adapted to using it as her "cover of choice" while lounging and enjoying a glass of Boones Farm Reisling!


That's how you do the darn thang, Oldgirl!!

I've started naming these big adult blankets, lol. This one is called the "Serenity Special"


Man, I ain't NEVER had to make a LARGE blanket that fast. Most of it was my fault. Goodness. I have WAAAAAY too much stuff going on. Way too much. I must plan my time much better. I'm a lot better than that. I need to make these a 12-16 week projects, instead of an 8-10 week project!

And what was terribly crazy were the following repetitive IMs over the past week:

serenity23: hey chick
original_oldgirl: sup gal
serenity23: you working on my blanket?


Dooooohhhh!! I wanted to throw my laptop across the room. It was if she knew that I was sitting on the bed crocheting, listening to my blog playlist, and working on HER blanket.

I wanted to strangle her... But baby sisters don't know no better. Have to let it go. I kept her updated over the past 2 months ("I'm on square 368", "I'm on square 661", etc.)

My last IM, after being asked umpteen times over several weeks.

original_oldgirl: yeah, I'm done. I washed it, and it's in the dryer right now.
serenity23: yippee


Humph.

I must admit, it came out nice. I wasn't all that happy about the color combos (these are the colors of the accent pillows for her tan sofa), but after I did test strips, it was cool. I like that color combo, and these colors come in bulk and are not hard to track down. I plan on making a couple more as gifts in the next couple of years.

Since the detailing is a bit hard to see, I have a couple of close-up pictures that I took at home with the blinds open and a bit of sunshine to boot.





760 red squares/flowers instead of the 836 the pattern calls for. I got enough dayum sense these days to tailor these blankets to the recipients height or size. Bout time I got some sense in my head concerning such! STILL took 125 hours, due to silly mistakes. I need to cut that down to 120 at least.

The discussion about this blanket in advance were something else, especially since I ususally crochet a blanket as a suprise. These were the test strips for Serenity's Original blanket.

She had this GRAND vision of how she wanted her bedroom: all white, with tan walls. So I crocheted test strips and photographed them for the LBeezy's thoughts. There is a subtle difference between the top and bottom strips (pure white vs. soft white). LBeezy preferred the soft white. I liked that one a whole lot better also. Problem was, it looked dingy against the pure white. (We had thrown a bunch of white labcoats on the desk and threw the soft white on top. It looked dingy. Even our resident dude, Hen-Dog, was a bit disturbed by the dinginess).

But uh, i saved that soft white... will use later. I actually started on the tan and pure white.

Biggest problem: Serenity's doggone painter painted the bedroom walls the wrong color (gold instead of tan). She decided she liked the mistake. The whole idea was lost. Man, if I lived up in Charlotte, I would've gone over to that house on the low-low, make a few threats, and MADE that dude paint the ish right.

So, I ended up telling Serenity that I was crocheting a blanket for her, and that she should just pick out the colors from other tests strips, which were from the following...

I ain't sure what was up with the yellow. It said "gold" on the yarn package, and I decided to get a roll of that and make some testers to see what she thought.






After much discussion, Serenity decided she preferred the deep red and chocolate.

We went through the whole go-around of me yelling "ARE YOU SURE, CHICKEN[HEAD]?" She said yes, and seemed excited. I had to trek my ass all the way back down to the Southside to Union City and trade that doggone white and tan yarn in for the red and chocolate. Hard SIGH.

We found out later that the red was the wrong color. She said deep red, which means dark red to me. What she meant was the red of the color of her dress pictured above.

I called her a blind one-legged chicken[head] and kept it moving. HUMPH. I was NOT going back down to Union City to trade up yarn. The chicken was gonna have to take the dayum blanket and DEAL WITH IT.

Well, as you can see, she was quite happy with it. So much so that she didn't wait to open the gift with her other gifts. She opened it soon after I got there.

And she seems to be happy with it.



Well, I am not sure if she was happy, or if she was a bit tipsy off that wine she's drinking.



To tell the truth, I couldn't tell if she was giddy about the blanket, or just straight up lushed out.
I like to pretend she was a happy chicken because of the blanket!!

So Serenity...

You Original Oldgirl you...

I want to say congrats on your new house!

Just wanted to give you a small token of my appreciation.

I hope this blanket will be something you cherish always.

Hopefully as much as I cherish the freindship you've given me over the years...

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT! man, you were burning the rubber on that one, weren't u? i'm so glad you were able to finish it! serenity is so lucky. you have inspired me to begin a blanket. here's hoping i finish it. :)

    congrats to serenity on the new abode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing my A$$ off at that third pic!!! Why didn't you post the other ones??? That's alright, I'm gon' put my video of the event on youtube. For some reason, I thought it was a housewarming. I didn't know that it was a bachelorette/9th ward block party. Good times!!!

    My blanket is next, Leezarus. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ATLien Nikki

    Okay chick, wasn't it a trip when I pulled out three joined strips up in the Watershed at dinner, and we were sitting there examining it? LOL!!

    (Only true crocheters would appreciate that. Uh, you had to be there in the restarant to get the scene, lol).

    Shorty, you got the patterns for baby caps and booties, and you suppose to teach me... come on, gal!! Let's do this!!

    START YOUR BLANKET. FINISH YOUR BLANKET, MA!

    @That Original Oldgirl LBeezy...

    She do look blitzed don't she? That was some good looking wine. Shoot, I almost asked for a glass. I shoulda made her hold that bottle of Boones (Yeah, I brought a bottle of Strawberry hills for her. Did you see that over in the kitchen??)

    What other pics? Of ya'll dropping it like it's hot?

    No, Oldgirl. Those aren't blanket related. Remember, we keeps it clean and smurfy over here at the House of LadyLee. LOL!!

    Starting on yours on October 1st. Embellish blue and soft white. I will leave it up to you to come up with some names. I was thinking about the "LBeezy Boogie".

    Shut up. I know that is corny.

    I'm working on a baby blanket the month of September. That is a cakewalk compared to ya'll's ish... I just need you to resend those paint color card colors again. I plan on hitting up home depot and getting them so I can match the yarns...

    Let me know what you think of that Bottle of Bitch wine I gave you. I think you'll like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a big long blanket TOO! I will PAY! I WILL PAY!

    I WILL PAY...name your PRICE!

    Name it I say!....

    NAME IT! I want ONE!ui

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love my blanket. I'm curled up with it now watching tv. Damn, all I need is another glass of wine... LOL! I do look extra blitzed on that photo. And I'm so mad at LB for talking about that 9th ward party.. LOL! I bet her knees are worn out today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @That Oldgirl-in-training BABZ!!

    Don't bust a blood vessel.

    You are funny.

    I sent you an email Check it...

    @That Original Oldgirl Serenity...

    Sigh. See, you bout to be like Tayari... That broad is attached to hers like Linus was to his blanket.

    I won't pick on you. I am laying under my 8 year old blanket right now, and I sleep under it every night.

    I bought you plenty of wine: Bitch on Ice, Boones, Little Black dress, and sh** I can't even pronounce (and uh, that strange Jeannie bottle with the old metal on it- that is champagne).

    DID YA'LL DRANK ALL OF THAT ALREADY!?

    Ya'll some LUSHES for real!!!

    LOL @ 9th ward party. Man, ya'll so limber. If I tried to bust the moves ya'll was doing, I'd break a hip or a femur... or my neck. LOL.

    I had a GREAT time. Do it again so I can drive up... Next time I will spend the night. I didn't make it back to ATL til 2:30 a.m., and uh rah, Kentucky's car is parked all crooked in the driveway. I was so sleepy that I didn't CARE. LOL!!

    Enjoy your blanket, chicken. You deserve it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is beautiful...Incredible
    craftsmanship lady. Thanks for visiting my blog and for making me
    a link..I will do the same for you and I will not be a stranger here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:58:00 PM

    You did a great job on that blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Keith...

    Thank you, kind sir. I've been lurking a bit hard at your spot lately, and I love it! Bout time for me to step out of lurk city:)

    @That crazy ass Pam...

    See, Serenity gonna have to watch you... I saw you sitting at the table eyeing her blanket.

    Now, all I need to do is learn not to wrap my gifts in christmas paper... when it is NOT Christmas...SIGH!!!

    (I know ya'll were talking about me, lol). That paper was 50 cent at the dollar store, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Too funny!! Love the blanket!..she does look rather tipsy in the pic. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the color choice, and what workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:55:00 AM

    Beautiful work Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work!! The blanket is beautiful!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Kayla...

    I don't think she was tipsy. Serenity holds her liquor well, i.e., she was walking straight, lol.

    Glad you like:)

    @B64, Ms.Behaving, and That Southern Black Gal...

    Thanks! Glad you like:)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!