Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Scripture

Just a look at a little something I've been reading this week. It's always interesting to not only think about what I read, but what sticks and stays fresh on my mind long after reading it.  I even spend time journaling about it.  

I've been digging around in the book of Thessalonians. I came across a couple of interesting scriptures:

I Thessalonians 5:14-15  AMP And we earnestly beseech you, brethren, admonish (warn and seriously advise) those who are out of line [the loafers, the disorderly, and the unruly]; encourage the timid and fainthearted, help and give your support to the weak souls, [and] be very patient with everybody [always keeping your temper].  See that none of you repays another with evil for evil, but always aim to show kindness and seek to do good to one another and to everybody.

That's a nice scripture.

But the Message translation, uh... makes it a bit clearer.

I Thessalonians 5:14-15  Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet.  Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other's nerves you don't snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out. 

LOL.  That's for Dee in San Diego, because I know she likes the rowdy translation, Message version. Be careful so you won't be straight snapping on folks, hon.

Paul was speaking in this epistle to that particular group of believers in Thessalonica.  I've always thought that church is a microcosm of society in general.  And that verse proves it. You have your freeloaders, the disorderly, the unruly, the timid, the fainthearted, the weak, the stragglers, the exhausted, etc... You also have your encouragers, helpers, and patient people, too.  All of that exists within and outside the church.

I'm not all that sure of the whole supposed perfection view of church people. Not likely. But that's another blog post.

That one scripture gives a good picture of how to conduct oneself in general, I believe.  Many parts of that I myself have to work on. (Me and my patience issues).  If I can learn to be encouraging, helpful and patient, and be careful in attitude... I might be getting somewhere!

One other verse out of Thessalonians... one that has become my meditation scripture over the past few days.

1 Thessalonians 1:3 (Message)  It is clear to us, friends, that God not only loves you very much but also has put his hand on you for something special. 

1 Thessalonians 1:3 (Phillips)  We know that God not only loves you but has selected you for a special purpose.

That has been part of my prayers this week. God loves me and has his hand on me for something special, and I am selected for some special purpose.

Man, that makes me feel good inside. Sure is. Get to saying that a few times a day? Might have me turning a few cartwheels (so git out the way!). LOL

That has been my Sunday Scripture, my scriptural ponderings for the week.

You have a great Sunday :)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:29:00 PM

    Oohhh yes I luvs the message version...been recommending it to anyone who will listen chile....takin bout pick any scripture then I have them read it out loud and pull it up in my IPhone and have them read the message version and sit back and get all kinds of HAPPY when they react/respond....

    I appreciate when you break scripture down... Causes me to do the same and find what I need in it.... Apply it to my life....
    YOU'RE PURE AWESOMENESS CHICA....

    DEE in San Diego

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!