Thursday, March 25, 2010

Book Review: Buying Time by Pamela Samuels-Young

Wow!

2 book reviews in one month!

Is that even possible?

Yes it is!

Especially when I'm coming across really good books.

And that's exactly how I felt about my latest read, Buying Time by Pamela Samuels-Young.

This wonderful author was even gracious enough to come to our latest book club meeting and discuss Buying Time with us.





And you know I got my book signed.


Can't read that? Look a little closer!



LOL!

Here's a summary of the plot (picked up from Amazon.com)

"Waverly Sloan is a down-on-his-luck lawyer. But just when he's about to hit rock bottom, he stumbles upon a business with the potential to solve all of his problems.

In Waverly's new line of work, he comes to the aid of people in desperate need of cash. But there's a catch. His clients must be terminally ill and willing to sign over rights to their life insurance policies before they can collect a dime. Waverly then finds investors eager to advance them thousands of dollars—including a hefty broker's fee for himself—in exchange for a significant return on their investment once the clients take their last breath.

The stakes get higher when Waverly brokers the policy of the cancer-stricken wife of Lawrence Erickson, a high-powered lawyer who's bucking to become the next U.S. Attorney General. When Waverly's clients start dying sooner than they should, both Waverly and Erickson—who has some skeletons of his own to hide—are unwittingly drawn into a perilous web of greed, blackmail and murder."


Man... just reading that, I was wondering "Where is she going with all this?"

I didn't care. Because she always does a good job, and this book was no different.

This was a very slick, well written legal thriller.

Let's just say: John Grisham ain't got NOTHING on Pamela Samuels-Young. Nothing!!

Each character was very well developed, and I was kept guessing until the very end. It was the type of book that I couldn't put down... Each chapter ended with a little cliffhanger that made me want to keep reading...

... and reading.

If you don't believe, trot on over to her website and read an excerpt, the prologue. It'll hook you right on in.

Let's just say, I finished this 400 pager in 4 days. Loved-ed it!!

The most interesting thing about this book for me was how the subplots all folded gently into the main plot/storyline. There was much intrigue, but a little romance in their also. (And you know us ladies love that.) Her books feature strong black female lawyers, and this one was no different, as the lawyer investigating the case was a savvy sister. Within the fictional work, the author also gives a good amount of information and education on the law aspects of the novel, without going over my head.

And I like that Ms. Samuels-Young takes a little time to discuss how she came up with the idea (she came up with this "viatical brokerage" idea while attending a party), and she also discusses her process and crafting of the novel. (And you know, as a writer, I LOVE that, man!). She even answered some of my questions one-on-one.

Now, what I really liked about this book is that it was self-published... and you couldn't even tell. In fact, the book looked better and read better than any recent book I've read from a publishing house.

I'm so glad she's taken the reins in her own hands and decided her own future, instead of dealing with these publishing companies. (If you didn't know it, the publishing houses are straight clowning black authors right now. I don't see why folks don't get together and form their own BLACK OWNED small presses. Take a lesson from Tyler Perry, folks. Hmm. Got this Oldgirl thinking really hard over here, since I have a ton of short stories and 3 manuscripts laying around.)

It was refreshing to talk to her, to get the writer's perspective on the creation of such a good book.

She came to a book club meeting some 4 years ago to discuss one of her books, and I'd made cookies back then. She even remembered my cookies this time...

That's right... I showed up with some 5 dozen oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip pecan cookies.

So thanks Ms. Samuels Young for attending our book club meeting.

I love your books! I, LadyLee, will always be a fan!

So now, it's picture time. And it's picture grab time. Yeah, I was at the meeting yelling "Ya'll drop by the blog and pick up your pictures, because I'm not emailing them to you!!!! "

LOL!!!

Pamela Samuels-Young and her college roommate Donna Lowry.


Donna's not a member of our book club, but I remember coming into restaurant thinking "Dang! That chick looks VERY familiar." I thought she was a model or something. Turns out I watch her every morning on one of our local television stations. She's an anchor. (I didn't say anything until someone brought it up. You know me, if I don't know you, I don't talk to you, lol). But it was interesting to meet someone I watch on televison every morning as I'm getting ready for work!!

The author and our bookclub president Angela!

Angela just had a baby and is returning after a quick sabattical. Welcome back, Angela!!

Judy come get your picture, honey!


Judy can't do that right now, as she is getting married Saturday in Vegas. Judy's tweeting about winning money out there on the slots already. (Hey Ma, you owe me some money. I won't my money when you get back. DON'T make me come looking for you, Judes. *LadyLee cracking knuckles*).

The only dude in our bookclub, Sidney. Come get your picture, boy!!

Poor Sidney! He brings the male perspective to each meeting, but he gets a verbal a** whooping each time. He holds up well against his book club sistas. (And uh, I will send you that other picture with the author and Donna... Can't put that up here, that'll be trouble! lol! Look out for that!)

Super STAR and the author. Come get your picture girl.


STAR is the T-shirt lady. She has one of her special shirts on here, but it didn't shock me like others. (I'll discuss in another post). And Happy Birthday, Star!

Come get your pictures, sistas (and bruh Sid).

This was a great book club meeting. Ms. Samuels-Young even let us in on what she's currently working on, which is the fourth book in her first series! I can't wait for that one! It sounds real good! (As to be expected!)

Look out for the author on the Monique show soon!

So, if you're into thrillers that leave you on the edge of your seat, pick up Buying Time.

I promise you, you won't regret it!

6 comments:

  1. The books sounds really interesting. It's going on my summer reading list. But I was curious about one thing: Within the fictional work, the author also gives a good amount of information and education on the law aspects of the novel, without going over my head

    Um yeah, it's probably really hard to go over your head Dr. Lee, but what about us regular folk? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:41:00 AM

    Adding this book to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be getting this one---I know I've read her before -- so much on the shelf...now buying via my kindle app -- for the ipod...thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chele... HA HA! Girl, what are you talking about? As much as I have to go to the dictionary and look up words? And I would've had to go look up "Viatical broker" if she didn't explain it in the context of the story well enough...

    Good book, LOTS of twists, FAST read!! You'll like it!

    @Southern... there's uh, a character in there that's right up your alley, lol... Hmm.

    @Cyncere... Brang your tail back to the bookclub, hon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got It! Might sneak and read it at work...:)

    LOL! I might just find my way back to club :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the book on Saturday and started to read it immediately. It's 4:30 pm on Monday and I just finished it. You were right ... definitely a page turner. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!