Thursday, March 04, 2010

LadyLee Favorite's, Part 1

for Carter...

When people ask me what my favorite movie is, they are often suprised by the answer.

You would think it would be The Color Purple.

Nope. But that one is surely in the top ten.

My favorite movie is a little known movie called Passion Fish.




This movie came out in 1992, and I remember going to the little art house theater over in Atlanta's Poncey Highland section of town (the only place that carried it) to see it with my friend Carter Anne. She is singlehandedly responsible for me enjoying and seeking out offbeat types of entertainment, even to this very day.

And it's the only movie I know of that has two of my favorite black actresses (Alfre Woodard and Angela Basset).



Yeah, both of them look so young in their scene together.

I fondly remember Carter and I quiet, sitting in the dark movie theater, and me turning to her and whispering "This is a GOOD movie."

It's the story of a soap opera star, who, while working in New York City, is hurt in an accident. She returns to her Lousiana childhood home for rehabilitation. She is helped along in her process by a nurse.

The concept is simple enough. And I'm sure that this happens every day.

Yet it is so complex. But each woman has a past, and has their own idiosyncracies and bad habits. We learn much of this through the variuos people who come by the house to visit, and their interactions with people in the local town.

This is my favorite movie. I watch the whole thing, or part of it on a regular basis. I watch it so much that I scratch it or wear it out. I have to reorder it from time to time.

Lately, I watch some part of it every day. It's great background for when I'm getting ready for work, or doing chores.

I learned something interesting back in 1992, when I was 22 years old.

It reminds me of how every one who crosses my path crosses it for a reason. And of how I cross peoples paths for a reason.

Nothing just happens. Ever.

It's usually a good thing. Rarely is a bad thing. (And I hope it stays that way.)

In any case, personal growth is the result.

This movie reminds me of that. It always centers me when I tend to get out of sorts mentally.

I may have touched on some of these personal principles during my "40 in 40" food for thought bonanza...

And I wanted to give this movie away as one of the prizes...

To a lurker who left the best of comment in those posts... Love Joi.

Oddly enough, it was on post #1 where I wrote "My past... I can't unscramble those eggs."

She left the following comment:

"and you know why you [don't] want to unscramble them?

Our pain, mistakes, etc, are valuable. I feel so humbled when God chooses to use my brokenness to bless someone else. He rightly positions them on my path to water, rain upon, or help reap a harvest. Without the pain why I'd never love and empathize with others like I do or have the knowledge to aid them. The pain softens our hearts so that we may freely give.

Freely you give and freely you receive. It all works together...Just a few thoughts humbly submitted..."

Very good comment. And very true. And it reminded me of this movie, my favorite movie.

So Miss Love Joi, if you're sneaking around here, lurking around... send your addy to my Oldgirl email.

oldgirl_1@earthlink.net.

I'll get your movie right out to you.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love Alre Woodard. I'm going to have to get a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Passion Fish! I haven't seen it since I first watched it, round '95. So cool to be reminded of it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember it -- I will place it in my Netflix queue...and keep it for weeks before I watch it...not big on movies..books...well, that's another addiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still here and guess what, I have seen that movie! Free rental from the library! I remember it being a good "random selection". God is absolutely phenomenal and so are you as one of His messengers. Just today, I was thanking God for my connectedness to Him displayed in ever present synchronicites.

    P.S., I read this scripture and I thought I would share.

    "A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed" (Proverbs 11:25, NIV

    ReplyDelete
  6. never heard of this movie. Imma have to find it and give it a peek.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!