Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Book Review: Secrets and Lies by Rhonda McKnight

I must admit...

I'm not the biggest fan of Inspirational Christian fiction.

My guess is that this is because some of the earlier books in the genre were a bit lightweight and unrealistic.

People were too perfect.

I don't like to read stories of "perfect people".

And some Christians, well, I think of them as perfect people: saying all the right things, doing all the right things, having all the right things...

"Perfect People"

And yet somehow, I tend to think the Christian life is not a perfect life... and people are hiding things, or silently going through something...

Or struggling with deep rooted issues from the past.

That's exactly what was occuring in a book I read recently entitled Secrets and Lies by newcomer Rhonda McKnight. I came across Ms. McKnight on Facebook. She was a FB friend of one of my favorite Christian fiction novelist Sherri Lewis, so I decided to check her out.

And she's a fellow ATLien. I LOVE books that have my city as a backdrop. It makes the book more authentic when I know the hoods and streets involved.

I really enjoyed this book.

So much so that I tapped my cubicle mate Cowgirl Cre on the shoulder, held the book up high and yelled "Cre, this chick wrote the CHEESE outta this book!!!!"

(Uh, that means she wrote the book really well, lol).


This novel is the story of Jonah and Faith Morgan, a nice happy family. They're the perfect family, really. Jonah is a successful pediatric cardiologist, and his wife Faith is a stay-at-home Mom to their son and daughter. They have a nice home, nice cars. Faith also volunteers at church with the women's ministry.

Perfect family. Perfect people.

But Jonah is a workaholic. And he also likes to drink. He doesn't spend much time with the family.

And the first line of the book about these perfect people caught me totally offguard.

"He's cheating."

That's what Faith thinks when she starts getting a series of calls from an unknown number. The caller never identifies herself. And of course, Faith suspects the worse, as any woman would.

But all is not what it appears to be...

And secrets are revealed, and lies unravel. And it all happens from a stance that I just didn't expect.

Perfect people have problems. And it only proved what I've always thought: Nobody's perfect.

We pray to God about problems. Or we shake our fist at God because of our problems. Or we act out because of those problems. All of that is seen in this story.

This story is an illustration of how unforgiveness and hurts from the past can infect one's life, and in turn, infect the lives of all involved.

A very good read indeed. And it was very interesting that through all the mess, I could see God working in the background trying to bring correction to the situation.... only if He was allowed to, that is.

I consider a book a good read if I'm thinking about it long after I've finished reading it. And this one made me think, and still makes me think, about one thing in particular:

Deal with your problems, or your problems will deal with you. Period.

Lesson learned indeed.

So if you're looking for a great page turner, check out this book. You won't be disappointed, and you'll learn something about yourself in the process...

And you can't beat that, man!

8 comments:

  1. Sherri Lewis is the truth. I just read Dancing into Destiny. I also read "The List" because of a blog post of Serenity. I went ahead and grabbed "Dancing into Destiny" too at the library; also by Lewis. I want to purchase "Dancing into Destiny" for my personal collection and for me that's a splurge. I take advantage of the "free-ness" of the library, lol. Anyway, I thought it was a great book. I may have to check out this author as well. Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an awesome, awesome review. I am humbled, really. I feel so blessed to have written a story that means something. I can't even say it was my intention when I started writing, but I do know that God showed up many, many times and as you can see HIS hand is working in the background in these character's lives. He wants HIS children whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Love.Joi... Well if you liked Sherri Lewis' books, you'll most DEFINITELY like Rhonda McKnight's book. I really like this new crop of Urban Christian fiction writers - Tia McCollors, Dwan Abrams, Sherri Lewis and now Rhonda McKnight. It is very readable and I can relate to their imperfect characters.

    I'm usually STRUGGLING with most Christian fiction. STRUGGLING HARD. But I look forward to whenever these chicks put out books... Check 'em out.

    @Rhonda McKnight...

    **crickets**

    Uh, yeah... how did you find this review? I didn't alert you to this! LOL.

    Man... that was a GOOOOOD book. That had to be the BEST first line of a book I've EVER read.

    "He's cheating."

    Had me going, "What the world???" Simple... yet power packed. Enough to make me go ahead on and buy it. It even made me go back and look at the first sentence of some of my own manuscripts, man! Really!

    Good book. I've seen all the accolades spread all about the internet... thought I'd add my two cents:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Old gal...You and I think so much alike sometimes that it makes me shiver...brrrr...I am so totally WITH you on the Christian fiction...thought it was me --but it bored me out of my skull and just seemed so "perfect"--characters so predictable...until I read Tia McCollors...

    I'll add this book to my list...hope it is on Kindle...I have the app for my Ipod...hmmm Urban Christian Fiction...had never heard of such... yippee more books to read!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:49:00 AM

    I don't care for Christian Fiction but I'm going to check this book out along with Sherri Lewis.

    I see you finally got rid of the snow. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cyncere... I don't know, Ma... I like a little grit in my books, because I got a little grit in my life. EVERYBODY got isshas and praying and trying to overcome some stuff... I like to see that in my books, and I like this crop of ATL writers. They make it pretty relevant without crossing any lines.

    I think you'd like Secrets and Lies... It was NOT boring. I was pleasantly suprised and was sad that it ended...

    @Southern Black Gal... You'll like The List. Your kind of book. Bugged the hell out of me with the way it started out, but it was a GREAT read, and I really understood some things about my life after reading it.

    Yeah, I got rid of the snow! it's springtime, Gal... I wish I could find a widget for falling rose petals are something. That'll REALLY bug you.

    And your boy Lil' Wayne is in jail... Make sure you write him some letters. Ha ha HAAAAA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all from dropping names of the authors. I like Christian lit but you can only read the same plot so many times. I am looking forward to getting my read on. I read Dance Into Destiny too and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey LadyLee,

    I have Google alerts set for my name. An author needs to know what's being said about them in cyberspace: for better or worse. This was definitely the better.

    Thanks again. You warmed my heart so much I'm sharing this review in my newsletter. I'll send you a copy when it's done.

    In The Midst Of It All by Tiffany L. Warren - pageturner.

    Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!