Thursday, March 18, 2010

LadyLee Favorites, Part II: Rap Music

The other day, I asked my cubicle mate Cowgirl Cre what her favorite rap song was?

She raised an eyebrow and threw out some random Run DMC rhyme.

I laughed. Because I knew the rhyme, the hold song even.

Yes, we're in our forties or fast approaching... which means we like our rap Oldschool. We were teenagers when Run DMC, LL Cool J, The Beastie Boys and the like were popular.

Let me just say, I cringe way down deep when I listen to today's rap music. It makes no sense to me. It is all jibberish.

Sign of the times, I suppose.

Either that, or I'm just getting old.

But I had a little trouble coming up with my favorite rap song.

Then I thought of one group that I just absolutely LOVE to this day.

Whodini.

Ecstasy, Jalil, and their DJ Grand Master D.

I love their song... "ONE LOVE"

i loved that song, and I love it to this day. It had a message, a good message about the give and take of being in love. No one was being degraded, no negativity. Just a good piece of rap music.

Oh how I miss that!

Here's the video. It's a bit grainy. It reminds me of when we use to put the tape recorder next to the television and tape the sounds of whatever video we were looking at. (Come on Chele, you KNOW you use to do that. LOL!!)

for a clearer non-embed version, view this over at YouTube.



Now, I remember when I first saw this video. It was in the early 80's, and I'd spent a Friday night at my best friend's LadyTee's house. An hour long video show came on on Saturday Mornings, and we were sitting in her den over on Stone Road in East Point, waiting for this video.

When it came on, we both stood there, all quiet, in front of the television.

Halfway through the video, LadyTee dropped to her knees and screamed.

I remember standing there whispering "Ecstasy is so FINE!"

LOL!! Hilarious! I can still see that, just like it was yesterday, instead of over 25 years ago. Sunshine streaming through the window, my bare feet on the den's cold tile, LadyTee' Mama Bobbie Jean asking if we were ready to eat...

Oh how we loved Whodini! Especially that Ecstasy, with that black leather hat. And it did NOT help that in the video that he was walking around with his shirt all open, showing his hairless chest.

*LadyLee swoons*

Yeah, Whodini was all that. No tattoos, no gold and platinums grills all in their mouths. Pants pulled all the way up...

Just some men rapping.

Their concert was the first I ever atteneded...

That's my favorite rap song...

Other Whodini favorites






What's yours?

6 comments:

  1. jennifer9:36:00 AM

    she dropped to her knees and screamed? LOL that made me smile this morning... hahahaha I needed that!

    Hey Sista Lee, hope you are having a blessed and debtfree week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to put the tape recorder next to the radio ... because back then I didn't have an all-in-one.

    I have plenty of favorites but I really like "It's Like That" by Run DMC ... "Money is the key to end all your woes, your ups, your downs, your highs and your lows. Won't you tell the last time that love bought your clothes. It's like that, and that's the way it is."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:16:00 PM

    My favorite: Rubberband Man by TI. Hahahaha.

    Nah, I do like that song but my favorite rap song is "Me and My Crazy World" and "Renee" by The Lost Boyz and "If I Ruled The World" by Nas. Man, they don't make rap songs that tells a story anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm... I gotta say one of my fav joints is/was "Funk You Up" by Sequence. Man, they was singing and rapping on that joint.

    And yes, that's the first female rap group signed to a label. Oh, and yes, that's Angie Stone repping as Angie B.

    Good ol' clean and happy rap. Sigh.

    And the word verification was: 'fookin'... See how cuss words just be laying around?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to do the drop and scream for New Edition. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:42:00 AM

    One love, one love
    You're lucky just to have just one love..
    I loved that song!

    One of my fav. rap songs was 2pac-White Man's World. Loved the beat and the lyrics.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!