Friday, August 09, 2013

Friday Freestyle... The Orange Edition

Here, here!

It's Friday!

*throws glitter*
The weekend is right up on us! And I can't wait.

It's not like I have big plans. I have nothing to do. And that's a good thing.

I did all my grocery shopping and errand running last week. I may make a yarn run to the southside. I may cut the grass if it ain't raining. Otherwise I will be piddling around the house.

Me staring at Oscar. Oscar staring at me. Oh joy.

LOL

I don't have many interesting things to report for the week. I didn't have ANY medical appointments this week. That is GREAT. The only distance driving I did this week was to writing class and that was in the rain. It was just 2 of us there, but I learned a lot about dialog issues, and I went back and reviewed my current project for issues. I really love dialog, and I have a book on it, so I may go back and read that soon.


Guilty Pleasure of the Week. If you have Netflix, have you peeped this new series Orange is the New Black???



First of all you have to have netflix, which runs around $7.99 a month for unlimited streaming. The movies aren't top of the line, but with a little searching, you can find some decent movies. However, what I like is that they are putting out original series. Last year, it was The House of Cards, a political drama. And Netflix doesn't put out one episode at a time. They put out the whole series at one time. So all 13 episodes come out at one time, and you can "binge" and watch the whole thing.

I watched both of the above series in a little over a week's time. I just can't bring myself to watch much of anything back-to-back in one or two days. I have the attention span of a flea most times.

House of Cards was great, and it has swept most of the Emmy nominations. It knocked a bunch of the constant favorites out of the nominations. House of Cards creeped me out, because as a political drama, I KNOW that stuff that went on in the film happens in our current politcal arena for real. It was really good and VERY dark. That's all I have to say about that.

But this series, Orange is the New Black, was EXCELLENT.

A friend of mine mentioned it to me, and I told her I watched the first episode and wasn't all that crazy about it, but she told me that she liked it so I gave it a try. I think from episode 2 it took off. Had your Oldgirl LadyLee all weepy. I thought Oscar-Tyrone was gonna have to get up and hand me a Kleenex, lol.

It is a comedy-drama, which is hard to pull off. It was funny and serious at the same time. This series had some great writers.

It is the story of Piper Chapman, a woman who has a perfect life, but like most of us, she has some issues in her past. She was in love with a female drug dealer once, and was a drug mule for her. 10 years after the fact, Piper is prosecuted and sent to prison for a year. So it's the story of her life in prison. The stories and lives of the prisoners she interacts with are also told.

Here is the trailer. (Warning: these clips are rated R for language, now)...



And here are some of my favorite scenes.

Piper's interactions with her "prison wife"



The inmates participating in the "Scared Straight" program. We have been laughing HARD at this for the past few days.





In this scene, someone has left a death threat for Piper in her cube.



O_O

Ha ha!

This was a good series. I love good writing, and this was some of the best I have seen. It's a bit racy, and if you can't take lesbionic-ness, stay away. But I loved all the subplots and side stories. That's my thing, even in my own writing, so I learned much about subplot layering from this series.

Song of the Week. George Duke passed this week of leukemia. Rest in peace, sir. We have lost an EXCEPTIONAL musician. Here's my favorite cruising song, "No Rhyme, No Reason".



That's it for today.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend... On purpose!

3 comments:

  1. I thought this series was AWESOME!!! I suspensed all regular tv so I could watch this series. I had to go back and watch all my tv shows after I finished this series. The writers and actors did a great job of bringing these characters to life. Some characters you just love when they show up in a scene. Some storylines are just plain funny how they play out. I am a fan of the show and I will be watching next season too. SWIIIIIRRRRRRLLLLL!!!(in Crazyeyes voice) COWGIRLCRE IM OUT!!! (Black Cindy style)

    LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get back on that series. School got me off track.

    This weekend I am fighting the crowds for my tax free weekend with the kid. He needs everything! So I know I will be out all day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Orange is the New Black! I need to check out House of Cards next.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!