Monday, August 19, 2013

Happy Rainy Monday Morning

Good morning...

Good rainy Monday morning. Sigh.

More rain.

All I can holler is "Thank you Lord for watering the earth!"

And the earth has been watered. My piece of the earth is the city of ATL. We've had 40 inches of rain this year already. We didn't have that much all of last year.

Goodness gracious alive.

Despite all this rain, it was a great weekend.

This weekend my sister Kentucky turned 32!!

Congratulations Kentucky...

For the record, Kentucky is NOT her real name. (People actually ask me about that). She is the only person on the planet with her unique name, so I don't put it up. It starts with K and has the same number of letters. That is all you need to know. Her nickname is KAY.

"Gal, I'm not putting your whole name on a card," I said. "I'm not using up all my letter stickers up."

She was fine with that.

So here is her card:

Here's the back of it.
I put some cash in it, since she didn't know what she wanted.

She didn't plan to do anything special for her birthday, She just wanted it to be another day. I told her I would come over, but it was all dependent on whether there were monsoon rains. She lives in the south suburbs, some 30 miles away. I was not going to brave these ATL highways with all these nondriving folks in monsoon rains. Nerp.  Luckily it was just drizzly at most. So I headed her way around 4 in the afternoon.

When I arrived her house, one of her best friends, her old college roommate, was there.  And her other best friend since high school came over an hour later.

I was a little disturbed by her roommate occupying my favorite spot on the sofa. But that was alright. (She better be glad she got there first).

I wished Kentucky a happy birthday, and gave her the birthday card. 

She counted cash inside, and then gave it back to me.

She has been wailing about giving me some money every month, but she hasn't done it. So she started on her birthday. (We'll see how long that will last). There's a credit union down the street from my job, so I will go open an account. There's a chance I may ball 'til I fall if I don't.

I talked to her the morning of her birthday, and she was planning to make a low country boil. She was a little confused about how she would do that. But she got it done.


That there looks GOOD!

More pics...
I stared at the fried brown items in the upper right hand corner of the picture.

"Girl, did you fry some chicken livers?"
"No, those are oysters."

Good. I didn't see how seafood and chicken livers went together.

She fried fish.


"I've been pinching off my piece," her friend Candy said.

You know how folks can be. All in the kitchen while you're cooking, pinching off of food. Humph.

A close-up of the crabs.... Just to make you more hungry this morning
I provided fruit and  a big salad... No one was particularly interested in that... They wanted that seafood and sausage!

I noticed my sister had plants on her balcony.
I was a bit perturbed by the dying plant,
"All this doggone rain we have been having," I hollered. "And your plant is dying?? You can sit the plant up on the banister, and it will get water."

"It needs more sun," she replied.

"Whatever. Looks like it's getting enough sun to me."

I know she didn't want to talk about plants on her birthday. So I left it alone.

It was fun hanging out with my sister and her two friends. They are all at least 10 years younger than me and they are mighty funny. After dinner, I claimed an area of the floor, the area between the coffee table and the bookcase (since the sofa had been claimed. Humph). My sister doesn't have cable right now, so they watched Orange is the New Black on my Netflix on her laptop.

Times have really changed.  My sister asked "Does anyone need a device?"  She meant did anyone need a laptop or Ipad. I tell you, between the 3 of us, there were 7 pieces of computer related equipment in the room. This was not the case for me and my friends, even 10 years ago.

They are some young folks. I can't hang and I know it. I think I went to sleep twice, right there on the floor, wrapped in my comfy blanket. I think they watched 7 or 8 episodes. I woke up whenever they were laughing. Plus they were watching videos on another laptop. They have the best attention span.

I finally decided to leave at two in the morning. My sister said the next day, "Lisa, if you wouldn't have gotten up, they would've stayed until five or six."

I can't hang like that. I am too old. Two in the morning was balling for me. Plus, I forgot to feed Oscar his dinner (I didn't expect to be gone long). Little dude was looking at me crazy when I got home).

I had a great time with my sister. I was happy to be included in her "Girls Night".

Sunday was a routine day. I went to the white people's Kroger for my prescriptions. I went to the Farmer's market in my neighborhood in pouring down rain. It was STILL crowded. My goodness.

And I'ma need ya'll to stop letting your children walk around barefoot in the rain. There are too much deadly bacterias around. Put some shoes on your child. Thank you.

It was a good weekend overall.

Friday evening was even good. I not only went to church, but I also ran into someone interesting...


Oh my! Who's that young man I'm hugging??

LOL.... to be continued.

Today is the last day of the Bloggaversary Sweepstakes.  $88 gift card to the store of your choice if your name is pulled. $25 gift card for the most comments. So comment to win. I think there were around 8 or 9 posts over the past week.  Text messages and emails are welcome and count as entries. We are pulling names tomorrow, and I will report the winners on Wednesday. I am going back to answer some comments today, so that will give you more chances to respond if you like.

This is all in appreciation of you, my beloved readers...

Thank you for a great 8 years of blogging!

Go out there and have a great week... on purpose.

Hope you win!

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kentucky !!!!

    Is that your lil big brother ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Kay.

    Oh my Milk and Cookies.

    Wow! All those devices. That is a lot going on. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the Milk and Cookies!

      My sister pulled out 2 laptops and an Ipad. I had a kindle. I thought she was gonna roll out her desktop computer from the office, lol. There were a few smartphones. TOOOO much going on, lol.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Kay! Is that Milk and Cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the Milk and Cookies. Flight layover in the ATL. Saw him for all of 10 minutes, but good since I haven't seen him in 3 years.

      Delete
    2. glad you made that 10 mins count!

      Delete
  4. Milk and Cookies!!! It looks like he rolled up on his motorcycle instead of in a plane!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... we were looking for someone in desert army fatigues. This dude walk up in a doo-rag and motorcyle gear. LOL

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to my fellow Leo! Now I must go eat lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your sister. I like the seafood boil for a birthday idea. Good to see your brother...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just here for my MAC giftcard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken, how many times I gotta tell you I don't go to the mall? I will for you if you win... reluctantly. You will have to track down where an actual MAC store, or whatever it is down. Down to where it is in the mall. You hear me? humph.

      *fingers crossed, hoping commander By don't pull your name out of a cup*

      Delete
  8. Ladylee,
    I think the pic of you and Milk and Cookies is the first time I've seen a clear photo of your face. You have a beautiful smile!!

    I think a year or two ago you told us your sis name on the blog. I sure don't remember it though. Time to look back at comments I left to see if you responded so I can get more entries in. lol! I'm trying to get my groceries from Walmart again. lol!
    Love you!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's a few pics up here of me. You have to catch them though...

      I've never put her name up here. Send me an email and I'll tell you her real name, lol.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday Kentucky! Lee, I love the pic of you and Milk and Cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bayou creole chick!

      Check your text messages!

      Delete
  10. How did I miss a week's worth of postings?

    Happy Birthday Kentucky. You know I don't like her shorten name.

    Hey Milk and Cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You been busy, bandit! I saw the picture of the baby going off to college. *tears*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:58:00 PM

    Happy birthday Kentucky...

    Good you got to see milk and cookies....

    LoL at serenity and her Mac card....

    I finished the entire orange is the new black series....OMG I almost text you but remembered the time difference.....

    Dee in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your sister!! I haven't seen 2am in many moons, so kudos to you for hanging with the girls.

    Your cut looks great on you. You have a million dollar smile, Dr. LadyLee :)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!