Thursday, August 01, 2013

Thursdays Thoughts... On being "Free"

(Double post day! Say whuuuuutttt?? Yes, a double post day!)

So... this morning was interesting.

It was 9:35 a.m., and I was packing up to leave for work, when my cell phone rang.  I was running around looking for it, but it was in my work bag.

I checked to see whose call I missed. It was The Excellent Boss.

I immediately thought, What the heck she calling me for? It's not even 10:00! What, I'm not getting to work fast enough? What the world?

So I called her back.

"Hey," she said.
"Wassup?" I replied, doing my best to remove any traces of attitude from my voice.
"Are you at work yet?"
"Uh, no."
"Good. Because the power is off in both buildings at work. So they sent everybody home."

*crickets*

"For real?" I said in a glee-tinged voice.
"Yes," she said. "I was just getting on the freeway, and I got a call."
"Really?" I said.

*ladylee kicking one sneaker off and then the other as Oscar-Tyrone scrambles out of the way*

"Yes. So you don't have to go in. They let everyone off."

Heck, man. I almost turned a few cartwheels.

I hung up the phone and hollered:

GLORY!!!

I dialed up my cubicle mate, The Cowgirl Cre.

"Hello?"
"Yo, the power went off in the building and they sent everybody home."

*silence*

"I was wondering what was going on," she said. "I just pulled into a parking spot and there are hardly any cars in the garage. I was thinking 'Did I miss something?'"

LOL

Yes you did, baby. You missed the people getting the heck up outta dodge.

It's always funny when some building mishap occurs at work and management says we can all leave. We bust out of there like herds of cattle. It's almost synonymous with the running of the bulls. And you better not be in the way. We are leaving fast. No one wants to be around if management changes their minds. Oh no!

Cre lives a good 45 minutes to an hour away. And she pulled out of that parking spot, and out of that garage and went on her merry way!

Really though.

Oh, how I looked around and thought... "I'm going to get some things done today."

And you know how that goes.

This is how I'm chilling....


Looka there. "To-do list" sitting there, big as day. Laptop open and ready. But the whir of this ceiling fan and the laughter of those hosts on The Chew got an Oldgirl louuuuuunnnnnnggggging.

I ate the lunch I prepared for work:
A salad of mixed spring lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and blueberries.

Since I have this "free off day", I kicked it up a notch!


Living on the wild side with some chopped pineapple, mango, and pecans!

(Now, after my boss called with this free day, I tried to call my sister. I wanted to go to lunch and eat something dangerous. Thank goodness she wasn't around. I must say I enjoyed my salad!)

And Oscar-Tyrone is around here looking at me all crazy. He has that look that says "What you still doing here, Oldgirl?"

HA HA. Yeah. The free day is not wasted. I've gotten a few things done. I cleaned up the living room, kitchen and dining room, which are all one big room in my house. I swept floors and vacuumed the living room.  I got a little crocheting done. I'm definitely going to do a little more of that, as I am just about 3 hours away from finishing up this latest project.

I think I may wash some clothes.

Nah, I'll do that this weekend.

Oh I plan to get a few other things done. I really need to do some writing. I am looking forward to that.

I tell the guy who is in charge of the building contract all the time "Hey, I need you to knock the air conditioner off the roof. Order all the parts special from Europe. That way, we can have at least 2 weeks off!"

He rolls his eyes and laughs hard.

I don't know what happened in the building today. I don't even care, really.

I'm just glad for a FREE off day!

*throws glitter*

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:15:00 AM

    Our network and phones were down for 30 min...it was so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a Great Day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!