Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day...

Good Sunday Morning... from my bed. I am suffering from a slight head cold this morning, so I decided to just stick around the house and take it easy. Drink plenty of fluids and not overdo anything.

I was looking through a prayer book I recently purchased entitled My Daily Psalms and Prayers. It gives a prayer for each day of the year, based on a bible verse from the book of Psalms. I like this book because it's not all angelic and lovely. It touches upon real life problems, habits, and concerns.

The subject of the June 17th prayer was fathers.

I thought I would post it here, and give my thoughts on it.

Psalm 68:5 Father of orphans and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation

With all the Father's Day ads, I think of you, the Father of all creation. Yet I realize that there are all kinds of fathers in the world. Some are absent or abusive; some are distant and demanding; and some are caring and giving. When some people think of you as a father, fear and anger consumes them. But here the Psalmist calls you 'father of orphans'. For anyone who needs a good father, you step in. Whatever failings any earthly father has, you make up for that earthly father. There is genuine fatherly love available to us all. Thank you my 'heavenly dad.'"

I thought that was a nice prayer.

It is something else how the word "father" can elicit a wide range of emotions. We all have had fathers, and the verse above describes the plethora of thoughts which spring to mind: distant, demading, absent, abusive, caring, giving.

And in that range, I see something... our lives can be shaped by that.

Mother's Day reeks complete havoc on my heart moreso than Father's day. My mother is an emotionally unavailable woman, and I don't have a relationship with her. Same with my Father, but for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me as much. I think they are good people. It's not that I am worthless to them, it's just that parenting isn't their thing. I don't hold that against them. I am here now, and I have my on path and purposes in life.

But I recently met with my father some two years ago when I was 39. It was one of those life goals things, something that I put on a bucket list of sorts.

"Before I die, I want to talk to my father."

My goal was to do this by the age of 30, but I was chicken. It took 9 years and much courage to do so. I called him a couple of times over the years, but there was no convo. I think it was such a shock that he didn't know what to say. I sent him a note in the mail of wanting to meet with him with no expectations, just to meet him. He ended up calling and I detailed the going-ons of it all in several posts (Crazy Convos with my father and Face to Face with my father).

That was an interesting meeting, albeit only fifteen minutes or so. I learned much about myself through convos with him. I am a quiet individual. I get that from him. I tend to be a loner. I get that for him. I have an interesting sense of humor. He has the same. And I hate being a bother to people. He is the same.

I have only seen him once since then. His brother Willie died, and I attended the funeral. (See A Most... Humble Occasion and A Most... Humble Occasion, part II). I sat in the back of the church. It was amazing to see so many people that look like me. I guess I never really thought about such things.

I think that one of the most important moments of my life was shaking his hand and telling him that I was sorry about his brother. He was so shocked to see me, he wouldn't let my hand go. The man had tears in his eyes. That was just way too... I don't know. I ain't use to eliciting that type of emotion from anyone.

So today on father's day, no, I won't call him. Saying Happy father's day to a man trying his best to deal with his past concerning his only child seems... inappropriate. I think of him daily. Pray for him daily. Hope he comes to terms with his life. I've learned from him to work hard now, while I am relatively young, to come to terms with the issues of my own life, as I don't want them to haunt me.

Today I don't holler the statuses resulting from hurt and pain that are being placed on Facebook or Twitter. Thank goodness that I'm not on those anymore, only rarely.

I do agree with the prayer above... when I think of a father, I think of a range of things... demanding, distant, absent, abusive, caring, giving.

I think these actions are characteristic of not only fathers, but of human beings in general.

I see them in my ownself.

I hope my father is well today. I know he thinks of me as I think of him. I hope he comes to terms with it all, as I myself continue to do.

I just wanted to post my thoughts on today. My own words.

Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers of the world, including my heavenly Father.

Make it a great day... on purpose.

7 comments:

  1. Last year, I found out that my father died in 1988. I was shocked, pissed and hurt. I said I would look for him around my 40th birthday. I went to Ancestry.com and found out within minutes based on the limited info I had. My mom never told the info, when I was younger I found a notebook with info she jotted down and I remembered it.

    My mom is emotionally unavailable too. SMH.


    My parents are who they are/were. It is what it is. I am not for the sappy stuff like saying without them I would not be here and whatnot. They sucked at what happened after procreation. It will take time for me to be at a point where I won't be so affected.

    I so wanted curse, question, scream at my father and cannot. I mourn the opportunity to confront him. *sigh* It sucks plain and simple. I feel like have been an orphan way before I found out he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you for this. I will never have that fascination for my father...he is a sociopath...and a terrorist. So I have let that go many years ago an have learned not to let his psychosis stunt me.

    What I am thrilled by on this Father's Day is that my children have a very different Dad...one who actually loves them and wants the best for them. No he is not perfect, but he holds them in his thoughts all day and he works to provide for their future.

    Don't be haunted by Father's Day. I am not. We are who we are and that's divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shai... they are who they are/were. And it has taken me many years to understand that's the way it is. My father has always checked on me behind my back for years. That was his way of caring. That's all he could do. I am hopeful that that gave him some since of peace. I have learned from him that I don't want to live with regrets. Don't want them haunting me. By meeting him, without any confrontational stuff, i hope he sees I turned out to be a productive individual in society. Period.

    @Lovebabz... I have read your chronicles of the terrible abuse suffered by your father. No kid should ever have to go through that. It sucks. But you're a great lady despite it. I know the pain will never go away. Take solace in the great Dad your babies have... That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done some cleansing and forgiving with my moms. My father dif story. I am just curious to his fam. I mean to ask guys since high school who is their father i alot. So I want to know something about my father's side before die.

    Yes, parents are who they are. I am admitting the difficulty with forgiveness, acceptance and moving on. I am sane and able-bodied, able to get past the mess in phases. I am glad I don't have intense bitterness like I used to so I will Grow into the peace level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was as great post. I also didn't have the best parentals. Mom did her best but left a whole lot to be desired. Dad was MIA for most of my life and about 5 years ago came to Texas and stayed 2 months trying to repair the damage of all the years he chose to stay away. It's funny because at one point in time this would have thrilled me...I use to long to have him back in my life. Now that he's back I don't care as much and it certainly doesn't bother me anymore..Maybe it was just too little too late. I don't harbor any ill feelings towards him anymore. He has yet to get that if he wanted a close relationship with his daughters he had to actually be there and form this from the time we were little. Now he's old and lonely and is constantly calling trying to talk for hours on end.

    Unfortunately I just don't have it in me to cater to him like he would like.

    You have overcame so much with such grace and wisdom. This post is just another example of that.

    It took me a long while to get to where you are regarding my dad but I thank God for taking the bitterness and pain away.

    ok I'm blogging on your blog aren't I?

    Anyhoo, thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....a very moving post.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!