Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Extra "Special" Cakes

I'm not really a cake person, especially these days since I am trying to stay away from processed tomfoolery.

And I've only made one type. And I've made it many times - a double chocolate coffee infused cake.


That's a good cake. I had it at the Watershed restaurant.  It was $7 a slice back in the day. And it was a nice size slice, because you could share with one, maybe two other people. My sister told me the other day that these days, they serve about a fourth as much to you in a small mason jar, for the cost of $8.

She was not happy about that. I have the recipe and she can make it anytime she wants.

I haven't made it for myself in years. I have a friend who likes it, and I make it for her birthday whenever she reminds me. She says it's a "better than sex" cake.

*crickets*

I guess you have to really like cake to think such a thing. I don't know of any food that's better than good sex. I am sure there are cakes out there better than bad sex. So I guess that's what she is talking about.

Moving right along.

My Play Mama A always talk about a cake she likes to make for her family. It is a heath bar cake.

It looks simple enough. It even looks quite tasty. And that one above is in an aluminum pan. The baker of the cake must be taking it somewhere, maybe a family reunion or funeral repast or such. I know one thing. She didn't bake it in her good pan. You know how folks are about their good bakeware. LOL

But I cringe whenever Play Mama A talks about it, especially since she has a certain gleam in her eye when she does.

"First you bake a german chocolate box cake," she said.  "After you bake it, you poke holes in it and then pour a whole can of condensed milk over it. You let that soak.  Then you top it with whip cream and then you crunch up Heath bars and sprinkle those on top."

I shudder whenever she describes it.  Shudder to my very core.

How much doggone sugar can you concentrate in one place?

And who the heck thought that up?!?!

That's just extra! Extra "special"

I thought I'd seen it all when it came to cakes. But I saw something the other day that made me *blink*blink*

So I'd gone over on twitter... Not sure why. Maybe I was looking for someone. Or seeing who was watching a show I was watching. I honestly don't remember.

Because I forgot the reason why I was over there when I saw this:

That is a cornbread cake stuffed with collard greens. It has mashed potato icing, and it is topped with fried chicken wing drumettes.

And that looks to be a nice drizzle of gravy on top. 

I don't know who made that cake because people were retweeting it so fast.

But I would've NEVER thought of such a cake.

That right there tops the heath bar cake. 

Whoever made that cake should win the award for creativity!  That's extra extra "Special"!

Just scoop out the collard greens and throw it on a plate for me. You can have the rest. I love some good collard greens, honey.

I bet it's mighty good, though.

I'll let ya'll make that. Let me know how that works out for you!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:45:00 PM

    I saw this on FB and I was in shock or maybe awe. http://dariuscooks.com/?s=cornbread+cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first two cakes yes....the last one :no

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah girl, that's Darius' "cake". I follow him on Instagram. I love almost everything he cooks and have even tried a recipe or two. Not this one, though. I just can't ...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!