Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Good Good Doughnuts

People know they love themselves some good sweets.

I am not a big sweets person. I prefer fruit. That's sweet enough. I bake cookies sometimes because I want ONE good cookie. I tend to give the rest away.

And I am like that about any sweets. Like when I want a doughnut, I want a REALLY good doughnut. There is no need to get a generic one.

And there's a place in town where I get FABULOUS doughnuts: Sublime Doughnuts.

How did I find out about the place? It kept popping up on all the "Best of" Lists for the city. And I kept thinking "Who is this Kamal dude they keep talking about?" It was beating out Krispy Kreme. I asked a coworker about the place, and he was swooning about it. Since it's close to the job, I stopped by. And the rest is history.


Now those are some good looking doughnuts.That's the caramel iced, honey twist, strawberries and cream, and the orange dream star. Not sure what else is in that box.

They are made by Kamal Grant, owner of Sublime. 
(I want one of those hats). 

He went to culinary school. Uh... let's just say there is a BIG difference between Kamal making a doughnut and Keisha making a doughnut down at the local Krispy Kreme. Huge. And he has 27 different flavors.

And uh.... I woiuldn't even think of taking these donuts to work. I know folks do, because the day I was in there, folks were getting 2 and 3 dozen at a time (at $17 a dozen, that adds up). I reckon they work somewhere swanky. I don't.  If I took them to work, jokers would have to pay me for them. Gourmet doughnuts are a treat. And I'm not treating folks on the job. There is a fund for Krispy Kreme doughnuts at work, and a few dozen show up in the breakroom every couple of months or so. Leave it at that.

I remember being in the shop a couple of years ago and a man wanted an oreo doughnut and they'd run out. And the man started straight tripping out.  (This seems to be a popular flavor). I was looking at him like "Really dude?"

I told my best friend LadyTee about this. She said she understood. "I understand the disappointment. I went once and they were out of the strawberry and cream doughnut. And you know I love that one."

"What time did you go?" I asked.

"In the afternoon."

"Oh no. You can't do that," I said. "They open at 6, and for that one, you need to get there early in the morning."

That strawberries and cream doughnut is insane. A doughnut packed with fresh sliced strawberries. *eyes glaze over*

I only go up there once a quarter, if that. I looked at the date stamp on the picture of doughnuts above, and it is from July of LAST year, so that's the last time I went. But I bought some back for couple of my coworkers. I am pretty much staying away from processed stuff, but he has a honey wheat cinnamon twist doughnut with no glaze or icing that I love, and I got a couple of those for myself.

And not many folk seem to want the relatively lower calorie cinnamon twist doughnut. They have never been out of those when I go in there. 

I was in a line of 5 people around 9 in the morning. By the time I left, the line was snaking around the inside of the store and out the door. So I got there just at the right time. (And I don't mind standing in line. He plays that Jill Scott and other neo-soul over the system. You know how much I like that).

Kamal has an interesting story about how he began his career:






And this is a funny film.



He really loves doughnuts.  I read somewhere once an article where he said "Doughnuts are the gangster of the pastry world."

O_o.

If you say so, sir.  All I know you must know what you're talking about, because yours are GREAT.



3 comments:

  1. Dang it Ladylee!!! You make me want some doughnuts like right noooowww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:44:00 AM

    What da cuss is it with you and these food posts woman????? It seems whenever I come by, it just happens to be when you've posted all kinds of lick the monitor worthy photos of food. Dams! Damn! Damn! *in my Esther Rolle voice. Bloody hell in my own! I barely got through half of the South Beach Diet protein bar on my way in and then I see doughnuts. And not just ANY old doughnut, those sexy, fancy, gourmet ones that make you ingest calories you haven't even consumed yet. Geesh! I'm so darn through with you right now...*hammers keyboard and sits back in the chair in a huff*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Why did I read this post? I must try these doughnuts!!! I'm currently doing this smoothie cleanse and this was pure torture. Remind me after 7/17 to go get some doughnuts LOL

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!