Saturday, January 02, 2010

Post 5: Tales from the Smile Box, part I

I've been doing a little New Years cleaning this week, organizing and throwing out much stuff.

Out with the old, in with the new, you know.

Anyway, I came across my "smile box" which was sitting on my bookshelf. It is not something that I lost, but I knwo I haven't gone through it in awhile. I tend to go through it once per month.
It is a box of quotes and scriptures and anything else that remind me to stay positive. It is full of little scraps of paper containing any and everything that keeps my head straight.

I was showing it to my cubicle mate, The Cowgirl Cre a couple of years ago. For some reason, I brought it to work. We were looking at some of the various quotes, and Cowgirl Cre must've gotten excited, because she grabbed a post-it note from her desk and printed very clearly, with a blue sharpie, 4 simple words.

God don't like ugly!

LOL. We laughed so hard at that.

But I have kept her hastily scrawled thought in the smile box. It reminds me to keep my stank attitudes in check, and make an effort (no matter how much it pains me) to be and act nice.

You get the drift... the smile box can be important if used correctly.

Anyway, the box contains a scripture that I came across some 9 years ago. This was at a time when I was sorely depressed about just about everything going on in my life: living in New Orleans away from my family, being caught up in a bad job and jacked up marriage... just looking straight crazy, you know? When I think of the turbulent times in my life, that time of my life right there, from 1999-2000, is right up there at the top of the list.

But one day, while sitting in my office reading and eating my lunch, I came across this verse

Hebrews 13:5 (Amplified Version)

"...for He God Himself has said I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let you donw (relax my hold on you)! Assuredly not!"

That right there jacked my faith up a notch.

Man, I got so excited about that that I showed it to one of my coworkers, a biologist who worked on my floor. She got excited by this little treasure also. We printed it out in size 32 font and posted it on the walls of our offices.

So we could walk in and see it...

Read it, chew on it, and meditate on it, ponder it, pontificate...

Day after day after day after day.

That verse right there reminds me that if no one in this world cares for me...

God does.

He will not fail me. He will not leave me without support.

I am happy about that.

That is something that gives this Oldgirl hope.

That is something that makes this Oldgirl smile:)

5 comments:

  1. I think I needed to read this right now. Thanks! I keep telling myself to read Hebrews. But I have yet to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A smile box is an awesome idea that I may just have to borrow. It is a must to have inspirational things around on those days that were are not feeling our best. Getting back up is that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Green Eyed Bandit10:29:00 PM

    Do you remember doing a smile box for journal writing class? I did not keep up with it but I do remember when we had an assignment from one of the retreats that we had to write down compliments received for a week. I look at it every few months. It is a good way to boost your spirits when you need it.

    I remember putting little positive notes in the bathroom for Baby Bandit when he was younger. He loved them and he never knew when he would get them. I might have to start that again for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter has a smile box she made with all of her favorite things from school.
    I may have to try doing one myself.
    I really needed to read that verse today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of a smile box. A similar scripture that stays with me is John 14:27 which says: Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!