Sunday, January 17, 2010

Post 20: Vision Board Personal Statement, Part 4

Alright, I've reached the halfway point of my food-for-thought bonanza blowout countdown to my 40th birthday.

20 down! 20 to go!!!

So, I know I still have to dig into the personal statement on my vision board.

It's not who I am now... but who I hope to be someday.

Just know that the vision is plain, and written up on the walls of The House of LadyLee. And I will get to the point someday where I can say I embody all of the listed characteristics.

Of interest, as always, is the part highlighted in green.

"I am 100% healthy in my body, soul, and spirit. I acknowledge God in all my ways, and I seek Him before I make any decisions, big or small. I am a blessing to my family and to those that God sends across my path. I am an incredible asset to my friends. I am a good listener. I am an excellent employee, and I not only work hard, but I work smart. I take time to periodically evaluate myself, and I make changes accordingly. I stick and hold fast to the path God has charted out for my life. I accept and openly welcome constructive criticism, as I know it will help me become "a better me". I am a good steward, a fine manager over the finances He has blessed me with, to the point that God knows He can trust me."

I am a blessing to those that God sends across my path.

This is simple, yet complex, even for me to explain. For me, I suppose it means that people who I come in contact with, well, I am helpful in someway. I am not a detriment to their life's journey.
Simple enough.

I don't want to be a detriment to anyone. I don't want to be the cause of their downfall, or the cause of them going in the wrong direction.

You may say, "Well, you're not LadyLee!"

Really?

I've had problems with folks over the years. I've been told I am no good, I'm an awful person, etc.

And that's cool.

Let's get something straight.

My being a blessing to you does NOT involve validating your bad decisions and bad behavior.

My being a blessing to you does NOT involve loaning you money. I got burned back when I was in my early 20s. Therefore, I don't care if you think I'm filthy rich, uh... I don't loan money. If I can't afford to give it without expectation of ever seeing it again, then I don't give it. Period.

(That one has gotten me in trouble over the years. I don't see Bank of LadyLee scrawled across my forehead. I don't believe you see it either).

My being a blessing to you does NOT include me saying what I need to say in order to receive your approval. One thing folks learn about me VERY quickly: If I gotta bank on you approving of me, then I may as well be broke in that area. I'll pass. That, my dear, is called "Faking the funk." People do that everyday. Go surround yourself with those types of people, because they are a dime a dozen.

My being a blessing to you does NOT include me doing what you think I should be doing. If that's the case, I fail miserably. VERY miserably. Look, that's how I grew up with my Mama. You think that's going down between me and you? Uh... Nope.

I'm sure I've missed a few things. Like I don't fare well with people who have low self esteem, and they don't realize it, and they ain't working on it.

(Read that real close. I'll let you figure out the intricacies of that one.)

But here's the gist of what that part of my vision statement means to me. Over the years, I've come across a lot of people who are at the time going through something that I've already gone through and have conquered. Maybe I can offer some advice on the right thing to do. Or I can offer some type of emotional support or assistance.

Those types of people come across my path. I am quick to recognize such.

People who are working on a doctorate come my way and say "Hey, they told me to come talk to you, LadyLee."

People who are going through a divorce come my way. Folks who getting jacked up on the job come my way. People who have lupus come my way. People who are looking for a church home come my way (they're not looking to join my church, but I open your head to what you should be thinking about when making such a decision.)

And here's something really odd. A woman at work whose baby seems to be allergic to meat... someone said "Go over there and talk to LadyLee!"

Very odd, since my vegetarian journey is only 7 months old. But you best believe I was able to encourage, and let her know not to worry because there are all KINDS of ways for that toddler to get his proper protein. At least I could give her something to think about. I think I even have a whole chapter in one of my books geared toward that particular problem. I will be sure to give that to her.

Just a few examples for you.

People say I always have the right words to say...

I like people saying that about me. That's better then folks saying "Here she come, causing trouble again. Let me hide my stuff. And let me watch what I say, cuz she crazy as hell. She'll cut you if you look at her the wrong way!"

(Come on, now. Don't act. You know you know people like that - people that spray drama and drop carnage everywhere they step. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.)

No, I want to be a blessing. I've had convos with people, and they're like "Lee, that convo we had so many years ago. Man, that changed my thinking. It threw me in the right direction. I still think about our conversation, all these years later."

That right there make me cheese real hard, just like Miss Celie, lol.

And it gets over into a principle that I'm understanding more and more over the years.

I'm a blessing to your life, then God will send someone along to be a blessing in my life.

That's all I can ask for. I don't really even care much about that. I get a kick out of being one of the people along someone's life path, a small piece of your support system, no matter how brief.

I like being someone who is one of the many keys to you being a better YOU.

That's better than trying to jack you up and mess you over.

Am I right about that?

I am a blessing to those that God sends across my path.

It is indeed something I strive for... and continuously pray that I achieve it.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, you are and in ways I'm pretty sure you do not even know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you are a blessing. very well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely a blessing to me! who else would committ to daily devotionals and actually keep up wiht it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being that blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jennifer10:30:00 AM

    you are a blessing, you are ministering to ME (among others) with your posts. And I have been watching your pastor alot lately, every time I do it seems to be exactly what I am dealing with...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Green Eyed Bandit11:45:00 AM

    You are a blessing to me in many ways but that is for a private conversation.

    I was having the same conversation after church. My comment was to a person that people do nice things for me because I am a giver. It is not a tick for tack situation. If I am giving in area A, I usually receive in area B. I don't do it to receive something in return. I do it because I want to do it. Now if you expect for me to do it, that is the quickest way for me not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a blessing to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww... come on now, ya'll... Don't make an Oldgirl get the hard lip quiver.

    I am glad I have been a blessing, someway, somehow, to each of you. All of you have been a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:28:00 AM

    You are definitely a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you have been a blessing to me. Reading what you put down has me thinking about things that maybe I was afraid to think of, taking my mental in places it was afraid to go. For that, I thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!