Thursday, January 07, 2010

Post 10: Vision Board Personal Statement, Part 2

Alright, all of you peoples hanging out in the House of LadyLee...

This is Post #10 of 40.

We're 25% of the way to our goal.

In 30 days, I'll be 40 years old!

I can't wait!

I need to get on the ball if I'm going to get through each and every line of my Personal vision statement...

So I want to discuss the second sentence of the statement. Highlighted below in green.

Remember this is a "thermostat", i.e., the vision is set to this goal. I may or may not be there yet.

But the goal is set.

And I run hard and fast for that goal.

So turn with me.

Take my hand...

Let's lift our eyes to the vision scrawled high upon the walls of the House of LadyLee.

"I am 100% healthy in my body, soul, and spirit. I acknowledge God in all my ways, and I seek Him before I make any decisions, big or small. I am a blessing to my family and to those that God sends across my path. I am an incredible asset to my friends. I am a good listener. I am an excellent employee, and I not only work hard, but I work smart. I take time to periodically evaluate myself, and I make changes accordingly. I stick and hold fast to the path God has charted out for my life. I accept and openly welcome constructive criticism, as I know it will help me become "a better me". I am a good steward, a fine manager over the finances He has blessed me with, to the point that God knows He can trust me."

Acknowleding God in all things, seeking Him before I make ALL decisions.

I thought I was good about this.

But I am not.

I have a problem of omission: seeking and trusting God in small things.

Yeah, I'm good in the area of seeking God in the arena of something big.

Aren't we all?

Look, every time we have some big national disaster, that's the first thing you hear from the powers that be: "We're having a day of prayer, blah, blah, blah!"

(Which doesn't make much sense to me, since this country is composed of people of varied beliefs. It is what it is, I suppose.)

But it's in the area of seeking Him in small matters that gets me all twisted.

I know, one of our assistant ministers at church, a white dude we called "White Mike" said it best:

"Look, those special towels you've been looking for to hang in the bathroom... You better be seeking God on whether to buy them at Wal-mart or Target!"

That was funny. I'll always remember that. Always. White Mike had a way of saying things where us black folks could understand it, you know. LOL

I thought to myself when he said that, "That is ridiculous!!!"

Or is it?

I'm learning real fast that it's not about the towels...

It's about being in a mode of continuous prayer.

It's about knowing and treating God like He is an integral part of every part of my life. It's about practicing his presence and being forever mindful of His hand on my life.

It's ultimately about knowing within my heart that it is in Him that I live, and breathe, and have my being.

THAT'S what that's about.

I got a true understanding of this back in the fall, while working through the workbook A Woman after God's Own Heart. In many of the daily exercises, there was a part where the writer would ask, what are your problem issues in this area?

And the next part of the exercise was:

Now pray right here, right now, about what you just wrote.

I must admit, it was a bit jarring. But I followed the instructions.

You wouldn't believe the answers and help I received. And I mean, it was over and beyond anything I could come up with in my own logic. I am QUICKLY understanding that I can't figure out everything within the confines of my finite doctorate mind.

And for that, I am thankful.

It has been quite formidable in me developing a higher level of trust in God.

In any and all things.

And I'm understanding something else, too: If I trust Him in small, seemingly unimportant issues, it becomes easier for me to trust Him in big overwhelming issues.

Why? Because I have practice building up my faith in God. My faith is strong, where I can actually believe that I am His child, He hears me, and wants to help me.

Like I said, I thought I was good at this. I am not.

But I tell you one thing: I'm getting better at it.

I think I'm catching a revelation of what that part of my vision statement truly means.

And honey, that's all I can ask for...

And hope for.

5 comments:

  1. I'm getting better at this one too. I know that sometimes I would not seek God when making a decision because I really wanted to do my own thing. Big mistake. Now I ask Him whether or not I should take the interstate to work or go through town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:53:00 AM

    I swear every last one of your posts have spoken to me. I hardly ever pray about the small things. I figure this is not that important.

    "It's about being in a mode of continuous prayer"

    I got it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool, I am always talking with God but it's hard because sometimes its just the smallest thing like call this client now or wait 5 minutes. Sometimes it seems overwhelming. But, I pray over time I can hear faster and execute more efficiently.

    I love the prayer. I am adding that to my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Green Eyed Bandit9:02:00 PM

    I have to get over that God does what us to ask about the small stuff. I have a hard time going to Him for small stuff. I tend to go with only the big stuff. You hit in on the head about being in continuous prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my problem is i always ask God to help me then take it back...i treat Him like a person.. like the ones i know will fail me..but i am learning that God can and will never let me down

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!