Wednesday, April 26, 2017

On My Desk, Though


I arrived to work 30 minutes early this morning.

(I went to bed thinking I would get to work 2 hours earlier than usual but OH WELL).

I sat down in my cubicle and did what I usually do when I get to work - check my emails, write out my to-do list for the day, then talk trash to whoever has run up on me.

I got up to leave my cubicle and I see this over in the corner:


A little plant was sitting amongst my other plants.

*ladylee looks to the left*

*ladylee looks to the right*

Nobody was around. I'm not sure what I was thinking. For some odd reason, I thought that someone had sneaked up in my cubicle area and placed it there.

I hope this ain't no cannabis ativa plant, I thought as sniffed it and peered closely at the leaves of the plant.

If it was, I would've dropped kicked it directly into the trash...

... then I would've picked it up out of the trash and drop it into my bag.

Yes indeed.  

So I didn't say anything, as no one was really around.

I sat the plant down and ran off to the lab.

But Dr. Lin ran up on me in the lab asking about it.

"Did you leave a plant on my desk?" she asked.
"Not me, girl! I got one, too. I don't know who left it. It's nice, though."

We turned to another employee, Lady Charlie. "Girl, did you leave plants on our desks?"

"No," she said.

"Did you get a plant?" I asked.

"No," she said.

Hmm.

Dr. Lin looked confused. She went on to describe the density and consistency of the soil.

*crickets*

I was confused, as I didn't pay much attention to the soil.

But I was trying to run with her on it, though.

"Maybe it's that good soil, that type of dirt that releases water real slow."

We stood there and pondered this notion for a moment.

"I don't know who left the plant," Dr. Lin pondered.

"I don't either," I said. "But somebody'll step up."

"Besides," I continued, "people leave strange things on my desk all the time."

And yes, they do. I've eaten food that I have NO idea where it came from or who put it on my desk.

But it was good, though.

At times, I've made the biggest spectacle, yelling, "Blessing! The Lord knew I didn't make my lunch this morning, and He moved somebody to leave this tasty stew on my desk. BLESSING! Glory!"

*church shouts and church spins in my cubicle*

*cubicle folks kicking the hard eyeroll*

Yes, that free food is good.

And this free plant was good, too.

We stood there in all our confusion, doing our best to solve this mystery, when lo and behold, my former boss rolled up and said he'd left them on our desk.

"It's a tobacco plant. They make pretty flowers."

Aww. A tobacco plant!

That's that dedication right there. He works for the tobacco group and he likes tobacco plants. That's real. I'm not that dedicated.  I ain't thought NOTHING about buying a nice tobacco plant or a cigarette or anything related to tobacco. NOPE!

But that's alright, though.

I like my little tobacco plant.

It is a blessing.

I'm gonna water it and watch it grow.

On purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!