Wednesday, December 11, 2013

An "Exact" Smoothie


An Anonymous commentor asked for exact measurements for one of my smoothies...

*blink*blink*

I didn't know how to go about that. I don't measure. Usually it is a handful of this, a wedge of that, and a few of that.

So I had to think about how to do that.

She (or he) wanted to know how to make a spinach pineapple blueberry smoothie, one I mentioned last week I think. She (or he) is having trouble with making good smoothie or juices.

So the best way for me to do that was to just take whatever I usually use and throw it on a plate.

There you go! Isn't that beautiful.

That plate contains a heaping handful of organic spinach, as much as I can grab.  There's also a small handful of blueberries, and a pineapple ring.

Then I chopped down my spinach and pineapple so I could fit them in measuring cups.

So the measurements come out to:

1.5 cups of spinach
1 cup of pineapple
1/4 cup blueberries.
1/2 cup of apple juice (juiced apples)

I suppose you can use 1/2 cup of water and some crushed ice. I just happened to juice a bunch of apples the other day. (I'd bought a bag of new ones, and wanted to get rid of the several left over from a couple of weeks ago).

I've also used orange juice. Many of my smoothies or juices come from just throwing open the refrigerator doors and seeing what is around.

Anyway, blogger Bliss and Ginae turned me on the Magic Bullet blender.

I threw all of that into the Magic Bullet. Here's how that looks:

I let that blend for 15 seconds.
And I poured it into my solo cup.
And I had a good smoothie.

My solo cups are 20 ounces, so I think this was a 16 ounce smoothie. Since I have a little more fruit than usual, I could probably get away with adding 2 cups of spinach.

The commentor said that their own juices were not tasty. I hope you are not like my sister, honey. She has always liked a lot of sodas and store bought juices, which are loaded down with sugar and other strange things. So these homemade smoothies and juices do take a little getting accustomed to.

My advice is that if you don't like the green leafy component of your drink, change it. My sister was trying to deal with kale, but kale is a bit out there. Even I am borderline with kale.  I mean, I will drink juiced kale, but I ain't really going to enjoy it. I juice it if there is absolutely nothing else to juice. And she was O_O about the kale.  So I took her to the farmer's market and pointed out a few things she may want to try: romaine lettuce or swiss chard or spinach.  Bok choy is also really good. I like all four of those choices. She prefers the romaine lettuce.

This was a good smoothie. I'm not a big fan of blueberies, but I know they are pretty good for me. So I mix them into a smoothie, or I will throw a handful on my salad.

I like pineapple because it has a good antiinflammatory natural product that is very good for my lupus. So it helps with my joint issues. I can tell the difference.

So Anonymous one, I hope that was what you meant by "exact" measurements.

Thanks for coming out of Lurk City and leaving a comment! 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42:00 PM

    It wasn't me the Mayor of Lurk City, but glad you posted this. I use the same formula with my Magic Bullet and handful of this and a handful of that. I prefer spinach, because I love spinach. Back to lurkdom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes indeed that bullet comes in handy when I'm too lazy to juice....that smoothie looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kale was/is still difficult for me in smoothies too. I add a little honey & that helps.

    I never use exact measurments when I make smoothies either. I use recipes as guides add whatever I happen to have.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!